Kessil

65 gallon tank

that is one awkward angle, I'd clamp everything down if you can't change it out to use standard PVC and glue the plumbing.
They had metal screw clamps on old stuff, I will try to look for something that will work thats non metal.

I'm not confident enough in my ability to try actual pvc to try matching stuff to go with those ridged fittings that go inside the hoses.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240318_234106_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240318_234106_Chrome.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 17
They had metal screw clamps on old stuff, I will try to look for something that will work thats non metal.

I'm not confident enough in my ability to try actual pvc to try matching stuff to go with those ridged fittings that go inside the hoses.
You mean the barbed elbows? Replace those with pvc too! PVC is actually pretty easy to work with. You do need a way to cut it and glue it, though.

I like this stuff for glue:

And something like this to cut:

You’re too far away or I’d come help you. I think @Srt4eric offered a hand. I’d have him do it for you and watch and learn
I did send him a DM, a few days ago haven't heard back from him yet, I figure he's busy, so didn't wanna pester him about it. I expect he'll respond when he has time.

I honestly looked at it but very nervous of trying to remove the stuff from actual tank glass if i was to attempt to remove the slotted elbow under the tank for pvc as someone suggested. Wouldn’t be as concern about the elbow on the ball valve as I only had to unscrew that by hand. I wouldn't wanna risk cracking the glass and be totally screwed and end up without a tank. I would of course prefer pvc but, before I would to attempt to do that myself, I would just go with the hose even though it's not ideal. I wouldn't have enough for another tank if I screwed it up,
as I traded to coral to get this one .

I did send him a DM, a few days ago haven't heard back from him yet, I figure he's busy, so didn't wanna pester him about it. I expect he'll respond when he has time.

I honestly looked at it but very nervous of trying to remove the stuff from actual tank glass if i was to attempt to remove the slotted elbow under the tank for pvc as someone suggested. Wouldn’t be as concern about the elbow on the ball valve as I only had to unscrew that by hand. I wouldn't wanna risk cracking the glass and be totally screwed and end up without a tank. I would of course prefer pvc but, before I would to attempt to do that myself, I would just go with the hose even though it's not ideal. I wouldn't have enough for another tank if I screwed it up,
as I traded to coral to get this one .
Ahhhh, I see, you're talking about this elbow that's glued into the bulkhead here?
Screenshot 2024-03-19 113806.png

That is ugly and unfortunate indeed! What about the drain on the left, looks like maybe a union screws on there? Is that the emergency drain?

Ahhhh, I see, you're talking about this elbow that's glued into the bulkhead here?
View attachment 54001

That is ugly and unfortunate indeed! What about the drain on the left, looks like maybe a union screws on there? Is that the emergency drain?
Yes that elbow on the tank it self is my major concern. The one one the ball valve, I've taken that whole part off and put it back afew times so no major risk in that part.

There is only one drain, the one with nothing on it is the return line.

Pic u circle is from the backside of the tank on the stand, I should have a few on this thread that shows it all hooked up

Last edited:
@MichaelB
Is it possible to remove the original bulkheads?
Even if ya have to cut them off
I would purchase new plumbing anyway
New and uncompromised

The overflow drain pipe like in this picture pulls out fairly easy it's not screwed in any kinda way just pushed into the bulkhead (the circle ring thats screwed to the slotted elbow under the tank in previous pictures.) That part I wouldn't know if possible to cut off as its against the glass and wasn't leaking only the original hoses under the tank so never messed with it.

The return pipe was originally very loose and leaking until it was hand tightened and no more leaks. I doubt I could pull the return pipe out of the top of the overflow as its wedged into the bulkhead screwed to the glass very tightly. I was able to unscrew it from the bulk head enough to expose enough of the pipe where it would have been possible to cut the return pipe out.

Unsure about the drain one thou not really anything I could see to cut as its against the glass and that pipe can be remove from top.

Sorry I hope i'm not causing you confusion trying to explain, if any additional pictures might show you something let me know from what side/angle if it would help ?

I would consider getting new plumbing for the overflow parts if that's easier and not to risky or diffcult.

My overflow isn't in the corner like this one but almost identical to what mine looks like.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240319_122333_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240319_122333_Chrome.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 18
@Srt4eric
If Eric is coming....
IMHO
I would pull all or as much as you can
Purchase ALL new plumbing including bulkheads
If possible I would use both holes in the overflow for drains and return from over the back
(Old school sea swirl would be great here)
Have all new plumbing ready to go to make Eric’s efforts to a minimum
But that’s just me...from way over here
Positive vibrations

@Srt4eric
If Eric is coming....
IMHO
If possible I would use both holes in the overflow for drains and return from over the back
Positive vibrations

Consider this as me only trying to learn,

What benefit is there to what you are suggesting as opposed to current setup?

Never heard of sea swirl.

I'm not new to tanks by any means but I've never had one with a sump and holes in it etc.

I've Had AIOs and larger ones with hob skimmers and filters.

So in terms of what to buy, what’s needed, how much these things should costs i'm clueless per your sugguestion.

@Srt4eric
If Eric is coming....
IMHO
Positive vibrations
TBH from someone like @MichaelB would have no idea what to buy and the fittings he needed given that he has never done it before or see anyone do it, let him get a guidance from Eric, but if he doesn't get back to u in 2 days, get ready to move on to someone else to help you. he's likely got your message buried all the way to the bottom given how many messages he gets

TBH from someone like @MichaelB would have no idea what to buy and the fittings he needed given that he has never done it before or see anyone do it, let him get a guidance from Eric, but if he doesn't get back to u in 2 days, get ready to move on to someone else to help you. he's likely got your message buried all the way to the bottom given how many messages he gets
Thanks for clearing things up
As a crotchety old fart I forget...
And make assumptions that might come with hasty generalizations
@MichaelB
I don’t mean to ruffle feathers

Last edited:
I think a single drain is pretty sketchy - if your flow isn't tuned perfectly, you'll either overflow the drain siphon eventually or constantly break the siphon and be super noisy. How does it behave now?

I think a single drain is pretty sketchy - if your flow isn't tuned perfectly, you'll either overflow the drain siphon eventually or constantly break the siphon and be super noisy. How does it behave now?

None of what you mentioned here I
Even knew could be a issue.

I haven't ran it in about two weeks but didnt notice anything unusual. When I did yet yet never having a sump I wouldn't know whats not normal. If I can I'll try to shoot a video and see if I can post it here later this evening some guys here may notice something I wouldn't know to look for.

This wouldn't be a finalized set up, just looking for kinks. Still need to figure out plumbing from everyones comments i'm convenienced current plumbing set would be to fickle. I plan run it is several days with just tap water.

I want to Paint the stand, figure out how to best mount lights in the hood, figure out what the ph probe thing does and how it works that came with tank, figure out what to use phosban reactor for. Work out a ato container, build and cement a rock structure, acquire a used protein skimmer and figure out where to put the tank in my living room. Feels like my list of to dos can go on forever not to mention items that should be on the list that i haven't considered yet. It seems daunting but to me. Yet this is all fun and exciting at the same time. A challenging project I can't finish in a single afternoon.

Back