High Tide Aquatics

65 gallon tank

Yes I normal go to church Sunday mornings back home by 1230 pm. I could
Skip church this Sunday if you would need it to be before than. But absolutely free all day this Sunday after 1230

@Srt4eric

IIRCC
Michael, were you at Kenny’s early for the fragging work shop?
If so, we have made eye contact!
I was only there for a minute before the gig
‘‘Twas good to see you
I look forward to when we do meet
Best fishes
The Club’s Obi-won of plumbing is on duty and bringing the FORCE with him!

IIRCC
Michael, were you at Kenny’s early for the fragging work shop?
If so, we have made eye contact!
I was only there for a minute before the gig
‘‘Twas good to see you
I look forward to when we do meet
Best fishes
The Club’s Obi-won of plumbing is on duty and bringing the FORCE with him!
Yes I was there a bit early, I honestly wouldn't recognized you by name alone but probably would remember you if I saw you again. Hopefully we get to meet formally at a future club event.

So since, I have a super long list of todos figured I'd put in a little work on one of the eaiser tasks. Painting the stand. started out yesterday with recuriting my kids to help me while calling it a life skill based lesson. Today I disconnnected the sump pulled it out, and thought it would be a perfect time to paint the inside of the stand. I was inspired by the clean apperance of many of the members tank journal photos.

I also read a post someone made about putting a water proof pool/ pond liner in the stand under the sump compartment.
So I did some searching online for cheapest (yet sufficent to preform the intended task) water proof lining to provide extra protection against
leaks, things over flowing, or that guy named murphy stopping by for an unannounced visit. After searching the options I purchased a shower liner from home depot 5×6 for $40, the glue for it was around $10. I think $50 well spent for the added peace of mind. I was also able to find the paint there after sorting through all the vomit colored opps discounted paint. I found a can of white $2.45 for inside the tank stand, and two slightly different colors of grey also $2.45 per can. After testing out the two grey paints I decided to go with the slightly darker one. So I spent Just under $ 30 in total $7.50 for paint, $20 for a few 4 inch rollers, a brush, 2 paint trays and a drop cloth.

I have another coat or 2 of paint to apply outside and inside. The very bottom of the inside was left un painted to ensure a solid bound when liner is glued down.
I still have to cut and glue down the liner don't wanna rush it as I want it to actually be waterproof when its finished.

Attachments

• received_217770801396822.jpeg
    received_217770801396822.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240321_150314.jpg
    20240321_150314.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240321_153243.jpg
    20240321_153243.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
So a semi update on the tank here. @Srt4eric was kind enough to come by a about two weeks or so ago. Just listening to him point things out and explain what I needed to get, and that he would come back to help me do the plumbing. His knowledge and expertise was no less than amazing. I got the parts he said I needed the same day.

Yet after, I got them I was able to see pictures of the plumbing other people had on their systems, so I was more inspired to not only get it set up, but I also wanted to make it look as good as it functions.

So, based on what he told me to get, I took that and ordered stuff online from Amazon, bulk reef supply, and saltwater aquarium .com.

I got the following:

2 - 48 inch 3/4 inch blue schedule 40 pvc (for return portion of plumbing)
1 - 24 inch 3/4 inch blue schedule 40 pvc (for the main drain line to the sump.)

1- 3/4 inch female thread to pvc (for the sump portion that will connect to the pvc leading to the main drain line)
1 - 3/4 inch thread to pcv straight adapter ( for the main drain line bulkhead to the sump )
1 - 1 inch thread pvc thread to pvc straight adapter (for the emergency drain bulk head to pvc pipe into the sump)
4 - 3/4 inch schedule 80 unions
2 - 1 inch schedule 80 unions
3 - 45 degree elbows

1 - 3/4 inch schedule 80 gate valve (from my understanding is ment for the return line something about using it to match the return flow to the drain flow. I read that a gate valve was much more desireable to have than a ball valve for its ability to be finely adjusted.)

I hope to be able to have everything plumbed together using pvc.

After Eric's lesson I think I have everything to do both drains, and most of the return line pvp. I'm not sure how to actually plumb the return portion. So I will possibly buy a few more pieces lime elbows etc. I plan to reach ojt to eric again, when I think I have everything.

Going for the look of blue pipes and grey fittings. I may try to play with the drain part of the plumbing as I bought pvc pipe cutters along with plumbers tape. , but I won't glue anything up until he comes (strictly cut to size and dry fit).

Attachments

• 20240404_212837.jpg
    20240404_212837.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Nice cat :). Amazing what skills reefers have to possess, being a plumber is just one example. Great that you took on to learn to do this. I would not have the patience or trust in my abilities to do this properly.

Back