Our mission

A rage opportunity: 1000g tank at work.

Matt_Wandell said:
Let them know to expect to pay $2000 a month just in maintenance service costs. Might be worth it to figure out monthly power, food, and conservative livestock cost estimates too, and don't forget they may be paying for a full scuba setup for a diver. Lots of folks who've never kept them before think the cost of a fish tank is all up front.

Good point on the scuba. Probably a good idea do design the tank dimensions so that it's not necessary.

Matt_Wandell said:
I'd want a 300g container for water changes as a minimum.

Would you also recommend a 300g container for RO/DI water?

Matt_Wandell said:
If you're interested in a company that designs and builds from scratch to filling with water, call Tenji:
http://www.tenji.com/

They are based in the Monterey Area and have built every size shape and type of aquarium you could possibly imagine.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

JAR said:
Four feet wide by Ten feet long by 40" deep would be about 1000 gallons.
That would be AWESOME!
Need a General Contractor?
That would be a fun build!

Not yet sure how everything will need to be structured. We might have our own people here for that kind of stuff or whomever were working with on install and maintenance might have their own people.

-Erik

bookfish said:
ok, I'm old and cynical. But make sure 'consulting' on this tank doesn't become 'blame' for this tank. In this economy, the last thing businesses need is to take on extra overhead.

Great advice. I think for a variety of reasons, this will not happen in this case. I'll be sure to keep attune if the wind seems likely to change there.

konkers said:
Matt_Wandell said:
Let them know to expect to pay $2000 a month just in maintenance service costs. Might be worth it to figure out monthly power, food, and conservative livestock cost estimates too, and don't forget they may be paying for a full scuba setup for a diver. Lots of folks who've never kept them before think the cost of a fish tank is all up front.

Good point on the scuba. Probably a good idea do design the tank dimensions so that it's not necessary.

Yeah, and leave a big gap between the rockwork and acrylic so that if you do need to get in the tank in shorts and a snorkel you can. Long grabbers and tongs can be helpful in deep tanks but being able to climb in and fix things every once in a great while can be super useful. If it's

Oh, I can't believe I almost forgot these things!

A floor drain is an absolute necessity. Other things that I would consider absolute necessities in the equipment/service room that need to be planned for early on:
1) A floor that slopes to the drain.
2) A raised, waterproof doorway and waterproof walls up to about 6". This is so if you do have a major spill it won't just go spilling out underneath the door of the room and out into whatever hallway. Also, if drywall goes down to floor level you will have major problems when water constantly hits it.
3) Walls coated in plastic sheeting to prevent water damage.

I don't have any idea how to construct all this stuff but I could show you what it looks like if you are interested! :D

Back