Cali Kid Corals

Acan melting

Nav

I've been noticing this acan very slowly turning skeleton (over a week). Everything else in the tank is very healthy... no hitchhikers... water chemistry is in check (8.6-9 Alk, 410-420 Cal, 1400 Mag)... Its under moderate lighting.

Any thoughts?

DSC_7100.JPG

Might not be happy with light or flow.
But not obvious which way to go to fix it.

Suggest spot feeding at night with a flashlight. Do tentacles come out?

Suggest spot feeding at night with a flashlight. Do tentacles come out?
I feed mysis twice a week and it eats really well (even when half melted). If you see in the pics too, tentacles are out.

Its on a rock with many other acans (which are healthy). This is an older pic of the acan rock..

tumblr_nc64t4NY5c1tbt0zro2_r1_500.jpg

I've experienced a few acan related issues myself, all were resolved but I can't imagine I know what's going on here.

- What other critters do you have in your tank?
- Is this the only acan having issues?

I have some acans that never had an issue, next to acans that seem to always get prissy even in the same conditions.

Alfred, nothing new added recently. I don't even have a shrimp or crabs, just snails & fish (clowns, midas blenny, diamond goby, yellow wrasse)

This acan is half melted, the one to its right (a rainbow) has 5 heads and one of it is showing signs of stress so I'm guessing thats next in line :(

@Marc, tried a few variations but no impact.

I'm only running 20% White & 100% blue and acans are at the far end of my 36" tank which is actually outside the surface coverage of a Kessil (24")

@Marc, tried a few variations but no impact.

I'm only running 20% White & 100% blue and acans are at the far end of my 36" tank which is actually outside the surface coverage of a Kessil (24")

I've read on here that its the "blues" that can more so damage the coral. Ive damaged some corals this way. Worth a try since everything else seems okay. Process of elimination.

Reactions: Nav
damn i'm out of ideas then.

if it isn't the lights or animal picking at it, then i assume there is something we're not measuring...

Can DINO do this? Yesterday when I was changing water, I brushed & siphoned out tiny bits of it around the acan (as small as 2mm)

Don't know... though I do think acans are sensitive to irritation. Doesn't take much for any of mines to receed... even more so than some some of my zoas

Reactions: Nav
That next picture looks like it is pretty close to another one.
Perhaps they are fighting.
In theory, Lords do not fight each other.
But Lords and Enchinata will fight each other. I am not sure what you have.

The only odd thing I noticed yesterday my Temp was 81, not sure if this could have any effect. Changed it back to 79.

Ok, today I was spot feeding and tried to observe the acans very closely. Apparently two other colonies next to it have also started melting. Its the one to its immediate right and the larger colony to the extreme right :(

Few things I found on the skeleton that I used a tweezer to pull out. In the image below

- Back center: Just a tube sponge
- Front Left & Front center: some gooey slime kinda thing sticking around the skeleton (not sure if this is some infection or just the acans slime coat as defense)
- Front Left: Pale yellow baby sponge looking thing I found on another colony thats healthy.
- Also I found vermid snails close to all these acans either on the rock or baby ones on its base, could they be the culprit?

DSC_7153.JPG

Temp is the only thing that is suspicious so far. But so hard to say.
+1 on more water changes and carbon.
You might want to feed more for a little while as well.

Been doing 20% weekly water changes for months now... The infected acans didn't accept any mysis (spat it out).

Hope it recovers. Thx for the inputs guys...

I only say that as a response to something is wrong but not sure what. Doing like a 50% and follow it up w another like 2-3 days later. Will fix a lot of things ime. Trace elements low, chemistry out of whack, nitrates, phosphates, chemical warfare, etc... That and some carbon if you don't have any, or new stuff if you do are my only suggestions besides maybe removing the unhappy colonies and dipping them in maybe revive or something like that?

Also, how long has it been since you have had the kessil and how long since any changes to intensity? I know blue looks good, but is it possible that it's too strong?
Pretty sure you don't have any suspect fish either, but you're sure nothing is nipping at it?

Back