Kessil

Acan melting

Will do a major water change soon & add carbon (Chemipure Elite).

Kessil added when I started the tank (6 months), has been running 40% White + 100% Blue all time, I just lowered Whites to 20% and not sure lowering intensity could freak them out.

Acans are tricky. They die all the time. Especially if you create an unstable environment that is ever changing. The best thing you can do for your tank is set it up the way you like it and have a good regiment for maintenance and stick to it. If you change the lights or dose something new or do random carbon filtering you will create stress on something in the tank.
Think of your tank as the ocean. How stable is the ocean?

NAV, I have noticed over time that you seem to be always adding something or changing the lights. Jar is right on, you need more patience which I know is hard in this hobby. Get your parameters stable put your Kessil's at 50-50 at 50-60 watts do water changes weekly and forget everything else for at least 3 months. Then if some changes are needed do it very slowly. Good luck?

Dick flanagan

Also one thing to consider in my experience acans can get infections. Best thing to do is to cut them back past the point they are melting. Then give them a good dip in providone. It's possible that there is actually nothing wrong with your tank. I had to log in to post after I saw this because I've seen the very same thing happen to me in the past. And no I still don't have a reef tank.

NAV, I have noticed over time that you seem to be always adding something or changing the lights.
I've only tried out things after this problem stared...

Trust me guys, I'm super religious on my tank husbandry. Never missed a PWC for 6 months, not once! every week it has been min 20% to recently 35%.

Also one thing to consider in my experience acans can get infections. Best thing to do is to cut them back past the point they are melting. Then give them a good dip in providone.
I'm very positive its some bacterial infection. I dipped my trumpet coral and it stopped dying for couple of weeks (scoly stopped dying after Alfred dipped) but now I'm seeing some slow tissue loss again in the trumpet, which is why I just ordered Iodine. So I'll now dip in Revive then in Iodine.

One last thing I'm going to do is Algae X to rid Dino, then I'm going to stick all your advise on good husbandry, patience and not trying new things :)

Everything else in the tank is doing great, including SPS! how crazy!

If it's just lps you are having an issue with I would skip the revive as that's just gonna stress it out more. It won't stop or kill a bacteria infection all its gonna do is get in where the flesh is dying and irritate it more. I would do the iodine dip and depending on where it is in the tank I would look into moving it to lower flow and light so it can use all its energy to heal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another thought as I can't remember what all you have for livestock but if you have hermits or if you have anything that moves sand keep an eye on them. Between my goby and he hermits that now live in the sump they killed more than a few of the more fleshy lps. A lot of them all it takes is one little nip or tear in their flesh to have the infection set in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Merith, thx. I don't have any crabs but have a diamond goby. He's very peaceful n doesn't touch anything other than sand.

I'm planning to frag the trumpet n place in different parts of the tank n see how it heals. Hope the iodine dip helps... It's on its way :)

@Merith, thx. I don't have any crabs but have a diamond goby. He's very peaceful n doesn't touch anything other than sand.

I'm planning to frag the trumpet n place in different parts of the tank n see how it heals. Hope the iodine dip helps... It's on its way :)

Back