Our mission

any questions?

seem like i had a hard time to keep the color of my sps that are from tonga
.just wondering what temp,how deep.ALK and flow to keep at.to keep that color especially the aquaculture peaces.thanks

lapsan

How "hot" do you keep your tank Lap? For most Fiji and Tongan stuff, mid 70's is best IMO.

FWIW< 90% of mine have kept their color. The ones that didn't, were neglected by my, so IMO, it's my fauly on those ones.

orientalexpress said:
keep mine at 78-80.everything else keep it color except tonga coral.look good for a couple weeks then start to loose it bright color.thanks

lapsan

Too hot. Look at an ocean current map, as well as surface temps of the world.

I actually think the major problem is too much light or simple light acclimation. After seeing where they are grown out thats what I think. That and the 6 colonies that I have are all colored up great and I have dual 400's 12 inches above the tank.
I think in the bay area we forget about the importance of light acclimation because we so often deal in frags.

:D

by light acclimation,u mean using screen?or start at the bottom and start raising them up slowly.i'm switching back to 10 k this weekend from 14k for more parc reason.i'm using screen window method.thanks

lapsan

Gresham, that's interesting about the mid 70's temp recommendation. That would be good for those of us who keep frogfishes too.

Anybody else keeping their tank in the mid 70"S?

Thanks!

People that have a lot of experience with both Fiji and Tonga will tell you the same, mid to low 70's. It's simple, both locations aren't 80 degrees. In fact, most corals don't live at 80 degrees, well, maybe in the Red Sea. People like to cook their corals for some odd reason. I guess they listen to Shimek, LOL.

This seems to contradict what was said, atleast around Fiji, with highs around 85, lows at around 77, the mean is about 81.

watertemp_lrg.gif

http://www.naia.com.fj/research/water.html

Wow, good info.

I did reset my heating last night to 76 from 79.

Would high temperature cause or contribute to Tonga chalice losing color? I have some blue with pink eye, purple with yellow eye, and some red that has lost coloration in the body to varying degrees.

thanks!

So what's the difference between Tongatupu & Vava'u ? seems the Tongatupa avg temp is around 75, with highs 81 lows of 71.5, The Vava'u has highs of 84 lows of 77, with the average around 80-81

sfsuphysics said:
This seems to contradict what was said, atleast around Fiji, with highs around 85, lows at around 77, the mean is about 81.

watertemp_lrg.gif

http://www.naia.com.fj/research/water.html

Um, what depth are those temps taken from. Surface temp most likely ;)

In that case, the Sea of Cortez gets in the mid 90's (surface temp). Go to 30' and it definitly won't be 90 ;)

Mike, Vava'u is the north of Tongatupa, hence warmer waters. Problem is, non of the exported Tonga corals come from there.

Back