Reef nutrition

any truth to the rumor that asap is going outta business

This is a time we should band together. I posted because didnt know what the proper procedure was/is being new. If it needed to be locked or moved then it shoulda been done, that is why we have administrators. I just posted because of of the BAR mission, to promote, foster and encourage education and appreciation for the eithical husbandry and propagation of marine life. If one of the most ethical industry leaders closes then this is probably one of the most important times in which we as a club need to band together to really educate and foster in this time. I for one am greatly saddened that this happened but also see it as an opportunity for us to promote in our community and ensure that now more than ever we try to help those who are going to look for alternatives to getting livestock. It would be aweful if we act like it didnt happen and sweep it under the rug.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=5428.msg67945#msg67945 date=1228846511]
Rather then pontificating in a thread, why not PM or email the BOD and ask directly?
[/quote]
Well to be honest, I did talk to a couple BOD members and I got nothing (this was before you posted and Steve's post I read), others might be new to the club, might not be on such good speaking terms because they really don't know them, etc, and well it might just not occur to them.

Telling lies? Did I suggest that?
Well it might be a bit ambiguous as to your intentions, however when you said "utterly untrue rumors" some might see you saying ASAP is in no way going out of business, you might have been talking about another part someone mentioned for all I know.

But either way, I think its fine to agree to disagree, I personally don't see what's wrong with asking what's up with a sponsor, you have some issues with it. IMO nothing wrong with either of our views.

[quote author=70Cuda link=topic=5428.msg67950#msg67950 date=1228847829]
This is a time we should band together. I posted because didnt know what the proper procedure was/is being new. If it needed to be locked or moved then it shoulda been done, that is why we have administrators. I just posted because of of the BAR mission, to promote, foster and encourage education and appreciation for the eithical husbandry and propagation of marine life. If one of the most ethical industry leaders closes then this is probably one of the most important times in which we as a club need to band together to really educate and foster in this time. I for one am greatly saddened that this happened but also see it as an opportunity for us to promote in our community and ensure that now more than ever we try to help those who are going to look for alternatives to getting livestock. It would be aweful if we act like it didnt happen and sweep it under the rug.
[/quote]

One of the most ethical industry leaders? Industry leader? What? huh? Sorry I am friends with them and I wouldn't even say that. Wholesaling of livestock and being ethical don't mix. I myself worked for what was considered "most ethical" and "industry leader (net catching)" and I still can't say wholesaling livestock can be considered ethical. The very fact you stuff damsels into a few teaspoons water, yet a Yashi half the size gets a 6" bag and a cup of water flies in the face of "being ethical".

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=5428.msg67956#msg67956 date=1228848578]
Rather then pontificating in a thread, why not PM or email the BOD and ask directly?
[/quote]
Well to be honest, I did talk to a couple BOD members and I got nothing (this was before you posted and Steve's post I read), others might be new to the club, might not be on such good speaking terms because they really don't know them, etc, and well it might just not occur to them.

Well it might be a bit ambiguous as to your intentions, however when you said "utterly untrue rumors" some might see you saying ASAP is in no way going out of business, you might have been talking about another part someone mentioned for all I know.

But either way, I think its fine to agree to disagree, I personally don't see what's wrong with asking what's up with a sponsor, you have some issues with it. IMO nothing wrong with either of our views.

[/quote]

I see your point Mike.

Do keep in mind the BOD could very well be DEEP into this all ready and until they figure out just what is going to happen they may not want to "stir the pot" so to speak :)

Well I'm sure they are deep into this, and I honestly that's why I didn't press it any more than a casual question with the BoD that were in chat at the time I was there. I'm sure the last thing they need is everyone poking and bugging them asking about things they might not have an answer/solutions to yet.

Isnt the bag stuffing just for transportation purposes? When we transport frags in containers arent we basically doing the same thing? Any wholesaler that sells to most of the lfs that we frequent should be considered an industry leader. Many times people have said they were ethical in terms of who they buy from and quality of fish as well as how they are cared for. But could be way wrong on that one. Just seems like we are getting a little too stuffy and maybe just gotta relax a bit. That being said go easy on me greshamh and dont disect everything to the bone, the point im trying to make is this is the best time for the club to move forward with promoting the BAR mission. Im not trying to talk about asap, just about the club and this is a great opportunity for us to educate now that alot of placed are going to be looking for different sorces of livestock being sure they are educated is a good way to ensure this.

[quote author=70Cuda link=topic=5428.msg67969#msg67969 date=1228849916]
Isnt the bag stuffing just for transportation purposes? When we transport frags in containers arent we basically doing the same thing? Any wholesaler that sells to most of the lfs that we frequent should be considered an industry leader. Many times people have said they were ethical in terms of who they buy from and quality of fish as well as how they are cared for. But could be way wrong on that one. Just seems like we are getting a little too stuffy and maybe just gotta relax a bit. That being said go easy on me greshamh and dont disect everything to the bone, the point im trying to make is this is the best time for the club to move forward with promoting the BAR mission. Im not trying to talk about asap, just about the club and this is a great opportunity for us to educate now that alot of placed are going to be looking for different sorces of livestock being sure they are educated is a good way to ensure this.
[/quote]

Like you said, your new to the scene :)

Shipping frags and shipping fish are VERY different. Frags have a lot less demand for O2 ;) yes it's just for transport, but do you understand the DOA/DAA that results from transport? up to 75% of some fish die before you ever even get to see them. Why? Cutting corners to cut costs. It's all about money and leaving your ethics at the door ;) I myself have worked that side for many years. You can not call the mass wholesaling of livestock as ethical. You just can't!

Look at it like this...

200 pound man placed in 10 gallon tank
5 pound man placed in a 200 gallon tank

200 pound man needs WAY more o2 to survive then the 5 pound man yet the 5 pound man got a way larger tank to be shipped in.

Why? 200 pound man is used as a lost leader. 5 pound man commands more money.

Thousand of the 200 pound men die in transport but no one cares as they are cheap...a lost leader... just "bread and butter"...

This is a global industry. ASAP is a local wholesaler that's reach used to be decent when they sold to PETCO but has slipped since PETCO slowed sales. I can name 10 other wholesalers in CA alone that move far more product and buy from the same suppliers yet never sold to PETCO ;)

In your mind, what makes one an industry leader? Keep in mind this is a global industry ;)

To me that means:
your doing something above and beyond what others do
your top of your game
your doing something others want to follow

In order for a 200lb man to fit in a 10g aquarium tank, he would have to have a minimum density of 24g/cm^3 which is denser than osmium, the densest pure metal.

This message has been brought to you by B.A.R.G.E.

The club isnt global so wasnt thinking global but rather local. Wasnt trying to discuss the eithics or industry position of anyone. Just think that this is an excellenct opportunity for this club to get more public awareness out there at this time due to the fact that more locals are going to be looking for alternative sources as ones that were avalible that are now closed. The way the mission is written it seems on a level where we try to reach those we are in contact with and hope it expands and grows beyond that.

pontificating[/quote]

That's a triple word score Gresham! Me likey the fancy wordage. ;)

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=5428.msg67993#msg67993 date=1228853307]
I think you're off by a decimal place their tony :D 24g/cc @ 10g yields 2000 pounds

[/quote]

Until you consider relativistic effects
/duck

[quote author=70Cuda link=topic=5428.msg67987#msg67987 date=1228852772]
The club isnt global so wasnt thinking global but rather local. Wasnt trying to discuss the eithics or industry position of anyone. Just think that this is an excellenct opportunity for this club to get more public awareness out there at this time due to the fact that more locals are going to be looking for alternative sources as ones that were avalible that are now closed. The way the mission is written it seems on a level where we try to reach those we are in contact with and hope it expands and grows beyond that.
[/quote]
www = world wide web :) We're a club with national recognition, and even global if you count we have member that now lives in PI :)

I get your point though, and have from square one. Do you get mine?

[quote author=Dyngoe link=topic=5428.msg67994#msg67994 date=1228853350]
pontificating[/quote]

That's a triple word score Gresham! Me likey the fancy wordage. ;)
[/quote]
Does it count that I had to google the spelling? :D

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=5428.msg67942#msg67942 date=1228846302]
Well see my point is eventually BAR will have to find another location, is this Saturday's meeting going to be at ASAP even? or canceled perhaps? When there is a new meeting location, eventually someone is going to why are we meeting at... and I think the truth is more useful than telling lies to try and "protect" friends/sponsors/etc.

That being said, I agree nothing bad was said about them, in fact it seems more about concern which I can't see as a bad thing.

But hey, anyone could potentially read it in a different light.

[/quote]

[/quote]
sorry if i did the quote thing wrong. If I understand your point right why not just pm me and explain what i did wrong and help get rid of the thread.

Back