Reef nutrition

Aquatraders overflow box dimensions

To ellaborate on what Ian just said: (and they don't use Plexiglass(TM) at TruVu Ian)

Do not force the hole saw, let either gravity do the work or simply hold the hole saw in place with out forcing it to bite.

Use a damn to hold water or spray water at the hole saw.

Use only clean sharp bits.

Use a block behind like Ian suggested.

If the tank is old, go even slower.

Go slow!

Best option, the professional option, is to use a router.

Ok. I guess the worst case scenario is I mess up the tank and buy a new one. This one is used anyways.

Next question is do I drill 1 or two holes? I am planning to half empty the tank and drill it on the back top corner. Also, what size sump pump would be good? I will have 2 Koralia 4's on this tank.

I use the 1400 gph cal pumps on 2 of my tanks. You can submerse it or run it external. 1" hoses that reduce down to 3/4" fittings to fashion the return with a 2' or whatever you want 3/4" pipe and a couple fittings. I do have a shut off valve incorporated just to slow flow if need be. 1 hole is probably enough unless you got something else in mind. Then just run the return hose however you please. An internal overflow box which you could easily fashion yourself if you're a diy with a quick trip to your local lowes. My home depot didn't have a selection of thick acrylic. Youtube has a library of diy tank projects. Some good, some bad. You decide! I use rotozip, jig saws with good blades, drimmels. I have 3 tanks. 1 drilled at 100 gallons with 5 holes. 1 is a drain that runs right into the basement through the floor into a french drain. One on an overflow setup 50 gallons. One 25 gallon hex on just a canister. Lots of empty tanks. Electric bill is getting too high!Someday I'll get around to using the 500 gallon sump setup I have, but my wife keeps holding me back!

I am sure someone is going to say that you should drill 2. It is up to you. You can conceal the hoses this way and run your plumbing through the overflow. Just as easy and run the return back up through the overflow box. There are pros and cons to all aspects of this hobby. Best thing to do is keep your critters happy!

It's only a 50g. YOu want approx 3-5 times turnover through your sump.. I'd opt for something in the 350-400gph at 0 head and go from there.. A single 1" bulkhead should be able to handle that easily as long as you vent it. The koralias will provide adequate flow in teh tank.. I'm not a fan of putting valves into the return line be it check valve, ball valve or gate valve.. Check valves will fail and drain your tank. Just make sure you have an anti siphon hole in your return or your return is high enough so you don't overflow your sump when you shut down teh return pump.. ANy other kind of restriction in your return line is bad.. It creates more heat and works the pump harder.. Just properly size your pump from the get go and you won't have any problems..

Like Gresh said go slow.. If the bit is cutting thats fast enough.. If you are scared just drill it in reverse.. I've probably drilled upwards of 5-600 holes in acrylic.. Ask Chris from AC about drilling it in reverse.. He didn't believe me until he did it hahahahah.. Especially older brittle tanks.. Very little to no pressure.. LEt the bit do the work.. pushing harder won't help it cut any quicker and you risk a blowout.. Drill it half way through outside in then inside out to finish.. The pilot hole will keep the bit straight for you.. Alot of times I will start the holesaw at an angle and as it bites I will then straighten the drill out..

What city are you in Cem?

If you are unsure I have lots of scrap acrylic you can practice on first.... Or you can go by tap plastic and get a piece of scrap for like $2 out of their scrap bin and practice on it.... It really is easy... If you use a cordless drill just set the clutch onto its lightest setting..

I believe I have some acrylic to practice on. :) I tried cutting it with a woodsaw once and it shattered on me. But never tried drilling it. I will try when I get home. I am in San Jose by i280 & i880.

A valve, properly plumbed, is just as likely to leak as a bulk seal that blows out. Salt is rough on everything! You need to calculate your vertical rise into the equation of selecting a pump! Yes, your pump regardless will create extra heat. Slowing the water flow down will create a little more heat for obvious reasons. http://www.aquariumpros.com/articles/howtopump.shtml#Application:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~powerheads_pumps_danner_mag_drive_supreme.html

Yes, finally all my parts arrived this week and I had time to drill the tank last night. I emptied out half of the tank and drilled it without disturbing anything. I did practice on a piece of acrylic with similar thickness. It was piece of cake. Thanks for all the advice. ;)

Now, I think I am ready to add corals. My ammonia is 0. Sump is running. Skimmer is running. I will need to add chaeto so starting searching craigslist. I added some crabs, they are doing fine.

Right on Cem I'm glad it worked out for you.. Piece of cake right :) You might want to post a WTB for the chaeto in our buy sell forum.. There should be plenty floating around San Jose :) There might even be some sfbaaps members down there who have some :)

Back