Kessil

BA summer sublet?

hi all, this is the first of what could be many questions about moving to the bay area.

I'm contemplating it, but first I want to give it a try for 2-3 months this summer.

I searched on CL, but was a bit confused. I need to get the neighborhoods figured out first.

I just wanted to know if CL was the best way to look for a sublet, or are there other places online
you could suggest.

Thanks in Advance :) Any and all input will be appreciated.

- jonathan

CL works. I did it when I first moved out here from the East coast back in 2001. Word to the wise though know the area you move to. For example don't move from sunny Florida to the inner sunset in the heart of foggy season. Not that I am speaking from experience or anything.

That said I did find one of my best apartments on CL via a sublet that turned into a long term thing. Was smack on the edge of Telegraph hill with a patio that had a panoramic view of the Bay Bridge, Alcatraz and the Transamerica Pyramid for a very reasonable price compared to the rest of the city.

Rents are pretty steep right now in the city but being from your area it shouldn't be a real shock.

Are you looking in the city or in the burbs?

Post questions about areas here I am sure people will give you some good input.

thanks for the info, I've not narrowed down my search yet. I'll know more in a few weeks.
I was figuring on 2-3K/month for something furnished that was in a decent area.
I know if it ends up being in the city I'll want parking, I don't want to waste time looking for a spot,
I do that enough in NYC.

Parking is gonna be tough in the city unless you are will to move out a bit or pay an arm and a leg for it. Similar to NYC just having a parking spot doesn't necessarily solve your problem as finding parking near places you want to go becomes problematic.

It's all about where you want to be. We have several members in the Alameda area which can be really nice too. Personally, I'd never move to SF with a family but that's what some people want to do.

What is the purpose of being in San Francisco? If its because you want/need to be in San Francisco you should stick to this side of the pennisula as you don't want to deal with commuting from the East Bay (maps.google.com :))

Not trying to get you to buy a house or anything but this will give you an idea of the market and where everything is.
http://www.zillow.com

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=3232.msg36146#msg36146 date=1204644788]
What is the purpose of being in San Francisco? If its because you want/need to be in San Francisco you should stick to this side of the pennisula as you don't want to deal with commuting from the East Bay (maps.google.com :))
[/quote]

Well, I met the girl for me, I hope. She's living in Milpitas. This would be like a test period together, so to speak.

I'll be working as a photographer shooting portfolios, so I'd want to be somewhere that is considered a central
location. I'll rent a car so getting around won't be an issue. I know google maps, but sometimes having a big paper map in
front of you feels nice :)

Alright get a look at a map, use google maps, find the drive time from SF to Milpitas. Also might want to rethink your idea of "I'll have a car so getting around won't be an issue", which part of NY are you from? Traffic not an issue there? :D

I live in greenwich village, having a car can be a PITA but I do a lot of driving outside of the city.
For me to work in the BA I think I'll need one. If it's rented I can always give it back If I find I'm getting
parking tiKs everyday :D

oh don't misunderstand me, Car = Very Useful, just we have some of the worst traffic in the country. Now as long as you drive outside of commuting times you'll be fine, but what might be an hour drive (about how long it takes to get to Milpitas from SF) could easily take 2 or 3 times that if it's during the commute hours.

However that being said, definitely look for a place near where you'd like to work first, then worry about the woman's distance from you second ;)

I agree with Mike on his point of looking for something near where you would like to work.

San Francisco apartments are quite frankly ever so ridiculous. Speaking from experience because this is my line of work, finding something in the peninsula shouldn't be an issue especially around that time as college students will be going home around that time and want to sublet their place out.

Good luck!

pm if you need more info at least for sf

commuting isn't as bad as Los Angeles area. After experiencing traffic down there, I'm thankful for the bay area's traffic =)

Plus the BART system and CalTrain system is fantastic for public transportation. I try to do public transportation whenever possible, it's faster and very handy.

Also traffic only happens during commute hours. If you avoid that to be with the girl, it's not a problem.

I visit my buddies down in San Jose / Milpitas with a 45 minute drive (not speeding) during non-rush hours. And the rush hours are very consistent, and only very few accidents causing problems. Compare that to LA which is 24/7 rush hour commute (almost... that 3am - 3:30am time is pretty clear usually). So you can pretty much count on when there's traffic, and when there won't be.

I just feel sorry for those who have no choice and have to do that commute during rush hour =(

More photographers in the area, WOOHOO! You could spend a lifetime and not cover all of San Francisco in my opinion ;)

I'll just be testing with agencies, and people who want to be with agencies. I used to do that a while ago and I think it's the fastest way I can make a decent income. I'll be exploring opportunities for my furniture work as well.

Kinetic, any tips you can give for locations would be great.

I'll avoid the rush hours, no need to sit in traffic if you don't have to :)

well I only know a few spots from where my sister lived. She lived in Pacific Heights, it's expensive but really quiet and one of the nicer neighborhoods. It's right next to the Marina district too where the nightlife is pretty bustling. Parking sucks!

She now lives near Apon(Arnold) on Masonic and Golden Gate near USF. There's tons of parking, rent is cheaper, and it's easy to get around from there.

Jonathan if you're interested in a few months in downtown SF I may be able to get you in touch with some of my third party clients who rent for a few months if you're interested.

Eileen that would be great. I'll know my dates to be there in a couple of weeks, but I'm counting on july and august for now.

Back