got ethical husbandry?

BAR Meeting April 9th featuring Randy Reed from Reed Mariculture

jugato said:
tuberider said:
Awwllllright, who's gonna start growing rotifers?

Fed-Ex is delivering my rotifer starter kit tomorrow. Though with my small tank I'm just planning on growing them in a 2 gallon bucket rather than a 5. Am I the only one giving this a try?

Just like reef tanks, the smaller you go the quicker things can go south. Conditions change that much quicker, just be aware of that and keep on your feet :)

tuberider said:
sfsuphysics said:
I'd like to have a vacation from my tank occasionally, so no roties for me :D

Actually Randy outlined how to deal with your rotifer culture when you leave for vacation, so no excuses for you Mike.... Now get to work! :D

Can you explain this to everyone? I'm sure this info is out there if I searched enough but kinda curious what Randy says. :D

Matt_Wandell said:
tuberider said:
sfsuphysics said:
I'd like to have a vacation from my tank occasionally, so no roties for me :D

Actually Randy outlined how to deal with your rotifer culture when you leave for vacation, so no excuses for you Mike.... Now get to work! :D

Can you explain this to everyone? I'm sure this info is out there if I searched enough but kinda curious what Randy says. :D

From rotifer.com, which matches what Randy said at the meeting:

Vacation Mode
Since rotifers need to be maintained/harvested every day, it can be a problem if you go out town for several days. Fortunately there is an easy way to put your rotifers in "vacation mode" (hibernation):
Pour a liter or so of your culture into a 1 liter container. Cover loosely to allow oxygen to enter.
Add a bit of extra algae to darken the culture
Put the liter container into your refrigerator
After 7 days 50% of your rotifers should be alive
After 14 days 15% of your rotifers should be alive
Restart your culture using the directions above

Back