Neptune Aquatics

BARcode releases

Just released 1.30

- Before you add a new item, BARcode asks a few questions to try and guide you to the right place.

- You can have BARcode automatically start a DM with the next 5 people in line if you’re holding a piece of equipment.

- BARcode emits an activity log only visible to BOD that shows interesting events such as overdue equipment, bans and supporting membership information.

- BARcode now has access to supporting membership information, so it now sends out notifications when it expires or is about to expire. It will send out a single notification via PM if your membership will expire within a week. If it expires and you don't renew, it will send out another.
Nice membership tie-in! Mine expires 3/16. Waiting for notices before renewing.

What happens when my membership expire, will barcode block none members? And I can’t access my dbtc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What happens when my membership expire, will barcode block none members? And I can’t access my dbtc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes, just like you wouldn’t be able to see DBTC threads in the forum.
You have to be a supporting member to access BARcode, DBTC or the BST forum.

so let’s take coding off the table for a moment and talk more philosophical. Does it align with BAR’s mission to still encourage people who got involved with DBTC while a supporting member, but membership has lapsed to continue to give out frags? Obviously, they shouldn’t be able to start a new DBTC or join a new one. But do we want the frag in the chain to cease being part of DBTC anymore once their membership lapses?

so let’s take coding off the table for a moment and talk more philosophical. Does it align with BAR’s mission to still encourage people who got involved with DBTC while a supporting member, but membership has lapsed to continue to give out frags? Obviously, they shouldn’t be able to start a new DBTC or join a new one. But do we want the frag in the chain to cease being part of DBTC anymore once their membership lapses?

It's a very good question. I suppose the short answer is no.

How do we handle this now without BARcode? The member can no longer see the DBTC forums but they can still give out frags - they are just not tracked anywhere, unless the recipients are supporting members and track them.

I don't have an answer...I'm curious what others think about this.

And if we have to revisit BARcode's user model, we can.

BARcode has changed nothing that I’m aware of with respect to people’s access to previous and future DBTC chains

Really? So DBTC is for supporting memebr only? I thought that was not the case and its at the owner discretion. Am I mistaken?
So if I am no longer supporting member I lose access to all my DBTC chains?

I agree with this sentiment. How is this aligning with the BSR mission?
If am not supporting member but willing to keep DBTC chains or open new ones, the club will tell me no?

It's a very good question. I suppose the short answer is no.

How do we handle this now without BARcode? The member can no longer see the DBTC forums but they can still give out frags - they are just not tracked anywhere, unless the recipients are supporting members and track them.

I don't have an answer...I'm curious what others think about this.

And if we have to revisit BARcode's user model, we can.
BTW I can still see the DBTC forum even if am not logged in. Thats why I thought DBTC is available to anyone.

I believe guests can see it so they can see what’s there and be enticed to join, but they can’t post.
dbtc has always been for supporting members only as far as I know.
I would not give corals to a non supporting member and expect them to follow he rules and stick around long enough to return frags back in.
It sucks for someone who started a chain, and is no longer a supporting member and needs a frag back from the chain, but other than that I don’t see an issue?

Reactions: JVU
I believe guests can see it so they can see what’s there and be enticed to join, but they can’t post.
dbtc has always been for supporting members only as far as I know.
I would not give corals to a non supporting member and expect them to follow he rules and stick around long enough to return frags back in.
It sucks for someone who started a chain, and is no longer a supporting member and needs a frag back from the chain, but other than that I don’t see an issue?
That is new to me. I thought because anyone can see it its accessible.
And why would you think a supporting member will be more trustworthy to follow the rules compared to none supporting member?

Wow, so now I see that there is a financial element in the DBTC?

Are we saying pay supporting members fees to the club and get free coral in form of DBTC?

Are we saying your qualifications start by being paying member, not by being responsible reefer?

It also bring the question, is the DBTC is also used to keep supporting member tethered?

Again looks like this is my fault, looks like I misunderstood the DBTC...

These are some of the questions that comes to mind with this new realization..

That is new to me. I thought because anyone can see it its accessible.
And why would you think a supporting member will be more trustworthy to follow the rules compared to none supporting member?

Wow, so now I see that there is a financial element in the DBTC?

Are we saying pay supporting members fees to the club and get free coral in form of DBTC?

Are we saying your qualifications start by being paying member, not by being responsible reefer?

It also bring the question, is the DBTC is also used to keep supporting member tethered?

Again looks like this is my fault, looks like I misunderstood the DBTC...

These are some of the questions that comes to mind with this new realization..
Questions are fine. Not sure I see a problem honestly. There are parts of the club that you need to be a supporting member to access. Buy sell trade, dbtc, members only events like the members only frag swap are the ones that come to mind. I can tell you that there has never been a financial consideration to dbtc. We are not trying to “make money” off of people here. IMO supporting membership is to show that people are willing to make a small commitment to the club and the things it stands for, and as a reward they get certain privileges.
If things need to be changed we can change them. Nobody is saying this is the way it is and you have to take it or leave it. This is our club. We can do what we want with it.

Questions are fine. Not sure I see a problem honestly. There are parts of the club that you need to be a supporting member to access. Buy sell trade, dbtc, members only events like the members only frag swap are the ones that come to mind. I can tell you that there has never been a financial consideration to dbtc. We are not trying to “make money” off of people here. IMO supporting membership is to show that people are willing to make a small commitment to the club and the things it stands for, and as a reward they get certain privileges.
If things need to be changed we can change them. Nobody is saying this is the way it is and you have to take it or leave it. This is our club. We can do what we want with it.
Totally get that. And am not saying u r trying to make money at all. That was never what I meant. I just thought the DBTC is not part of the financial thing. I thought its pure noble cause that anyone can participate in this cause..

I'm only wondering about the cases that supporting members don't renew their membership and they're already part of a DBTC. Are we okay just to accept that their frag is gone since they no longer have access to DBTC or should we try to allow them to at least provide the ability to give more frags back to the chain, while limiting their ability to create or join new DBTCs. I'm okay either way, just the thought crossed my mind when the question regarding membership access was brought up.

I'm only wondering about the cases that supporting members don't renew their membership and they're already part of a DBTC. Are we okay just to accept that their frag is gone since they no longer have access to DBTC or should we try to allow them to at least provide the ability to give more frags back to the chain, while limiting their ability to create or join new DBTCs. I'm okay either way, just the thought crossed my mind when the question regarding membership access was brought up.

No one is telling a non supporting member that they don’t have access to DBTC. They can give out frags and carry on abiding by the rules of their chains. They just can’t post about it in the DBTC forum or BARcode.

Back