Reef nutrition

BARcode releases

No one is telling a non supporting member that they don’t have access to DBTC. They can give out frags and carry on abiding by the rules of their chains. They just can’t post about it in the DBTC forum or BARcode.
How that works? How can they give a frag if they cannot post on the DBTC forum?
Maybe am confused about the rules a bit

No one is telling a non supporting member that they don’t have access to DBTC. They can give out frags and carry on abiding by the rules of their chains. They just can’t post about it in the DBTC forum or BARcode.

I guess you can do that and have the owner update the DBTC in BARCode (assuming that person is still around - or a BAR BOD if not).

How that works? How can they give a frag if they cannot post on the DBTC forum?
Maybe am confused about the rules a bit
Pretty sure guests can pm?
This is clearly not a widespread issue as it hasn’t really come up before. I’m sure we can figure out a way to make this work better if we see a need.
cetainly nothing is perfect and without need for change and improvement over time.

I'm only wondering about the cases that supporting members don't renew their membership and they're already part of a DBTC. Are we okay just to accept that their frag is gone since they no longer have access to DBTC or should we try to allow them to at least provide the ability to give more frags back to the chain, while limiting their ability to create or join new DBTCs. I'm okay either way, just the thought crossed my mind when the question regarding membership access was brought up.
For me, i think the originator of the dbtc should have the ability to claim back a piece even if not supporting down the road...since original intent was to provide a bank.

Alternatively, if they decide not to renew, they should get to take back one at the start of guest status. The bank can't keep your money when you leave right?

For me, i think the originator of the dbtc should have the ability to claim back a piece even if not supporting down the road...since original intent was to provide a bank.

Alternatively, if they decide not to renew, they should get to take back one at the start of guest status. The bank can't keep your money when you leave right?
I think as is now a guest could easily post in the forum asking for help to retrieve pieces from their chains if needed. And I also think guests can pm unless we changed that? So you can view the chains, just not post there, and then pm people as needed. I’m certainly thinking about options to achieve this in other ways and happy to listen to ideas.

I think as is now a guest could easily post in the forum asking for help to retrieve pieces from their chains if needed. And I also think guests can pm unless we changed that? So you can view the chains, just not post there, and then pm people as needed. I’m certainly thinking about options to achieve this in other ways and happy to listen to ideas.
I think if we do not force the owner to pm would be nice. I get it not allowing guest to post, but at least the owner we should honor bit more.
Asking to have the owner pm you (or someone else if you are not available) to ask for a frag of his/her chain is weird.
Unless if we think that the chains and their co tent belong to the club not the owner..is that the philosophy here?

I think if we do not force the owner to pm would be nice. I get it not allowing guest to post, but at least the owner we should honor bit more.
Asking to have the owner pm you (or someone else if you are not available) to ask for a frag of his/her chain is weird.
Unless if we think that the chains and their co tent belong to the club not the owner..is that the philosophy here?

No, it’s not a philosophy. It’s just that forum permissions are not that fine grained. We cannot set it to “supporting members and the one who started the thread”. It’s nothing nefarious.

Certainly not. Like Pablo already said, it’s just how it is because that’s how we can do it. I obviously cannot come up with any tech fixes, but will continue to think about what we can do to alleviate your concerns.

Looks like I cannot assign a frag to a none supporting members.
While I was porting my chains some users who I gave frags to are now guests. I cannot assign them the frag that they already have:(
And looks like I, the chain owner, cannot assign a frag to none supporting members, which is not ideal.. while the club wants to link the DBTC to supporting, I personally do not want to, I rather want to give frags to who I deem suitable to carry the mission of maintaining the coral continuity.

Can we prevent none supporting from commenting in a chain, but allow the owner to give a frag to a none supporting?

People can give frags to whomever they would like to. Nothing about DBTC prevents members or non-members from giving frags to people they think are deserving.

DBTC is a club program, supported by the club monetarily and through volunteer hours to manage. So to participate in the tracking part of DBTC, including the rules about giving back a certain number, posting updates, etc, people need to do their part and support the club in return. It’s one of several benefits of being a member who supports the club. At least that’s the way it has always been. It seems reasonable to me since being a supporting member costs almost nothing compared to this hobby, so people who aren’t members are really just uninterested in supporting the club.

Just to emphasize, nothing about DBTC is telling people not to share their frags outside of the club members, but it doesn‘t facilitate it either since it is outside of the club.

We can make it so that you can record the frag in BARcode - even if the recipient is not a supporting member. It may entice them to become supporting members. I don’t see an issue with that. They won’t be able to use BARcode until they do.

And the import feature does already allow you to do that. For the sake of tracking.

People can give frags to whomever they would like to. Nothing about DBTC prevents members or non-members from giving frags to people they think are deserving.

DBTC is a club program, supported by the club monetarily and through volunteer hours to manage. So to participate in the tracking part of DBTC, including the rules about giving back a certain number, posting updates, etc, people need to do their part and support the club in return. It’s one of several benefits of being a member who supports the club. At least that’s the way it has always been. It seems reasonable to me since being a supporting member costs almost nothing compared to this hobby, so people who aren’t members are really just uninterested in supporting the club.

Just to emphasize, nothing about DBTC is telling people not to share their frags outside of the club members, but it doesn‘t facilitate it either since it is outside of the club.
Yup I agree.
If I, as an example, want to focus only on the goal of the DBTC (continuity and spread of a specie), I better do so outside the barcode DBTC where I can make it about the reefer and the coral and and thats it.

Thanks for clarifying.

Last edited:
We can make it so that you can record the frag in BARcode - even if the recipient is not a supporting member. It may entice them to become supporting members. I don’t see an issue with that. They won’t be able to use BARcode until they do.

And the import feature does already allow you to do that. For the sake of tracking.
I think that will be helpful, cause I gave frags to multiple users who are now guests.i couldn't have them in the tracker.

Just pushed v1.32.8 - https://barcode.bareefers.org/bc/

- The three dot menu now shows up everywhere and it has words. It only used to show up if you owned a frag. If you own it, you can share it and edit it. You can click "link" to go to a page that has just that frag. Or "mother" to be taken to the mother frag (kinda like the mothership, but different)

- The member page shows the frags a member has gotten in line for...all the stuff they want

- Added a linter and infrastructure for testing with a couple of small tests to start with

- Added github actions to the repo. Now, I just version it and it builds the site, the two containers, pushes them to Docker hub and then pushes the script to start them to our server. Really slick stuff.

barcode-menu.png

This question is as much a general one about DBTC as it is BARcode use. So, posting here.

Q: I purchased coral from members that I now want to frag and DBTC. Do I just start a new node without tying to a parent?

This question is as much a general one about DBTC as it is BARcode use. So, posting here.

Q: I purchased coral from members that I now want to frag and DBTC. Do I just start a new node without tying to a parent?

Yes. You can put the original member as the “source” when you add it. It’s one of the optional fields.

I just released an update the includes a feature inspired by @Squist. He sent a PM asking for me to delete a frag. Well, I added an "oops" option to the three-little-dot menu. This option opens up a dialog where you can say what's wrong with the frag. When you click OK, information about the frag and your description of the problem is posted in a thread in an admin forum. My hope is that more folks will learn how to address these issues and I won't be the bottleneck in solving them.

Back