Kessil

Birdsnest

patchin

Supporting Member
Got a tan birdsnest from Mike in Windsor about 6-8 months ago. Beautiful piece. The tips started turning white, which I thought was new growth. Well, the whole body is now white, but it still has greenish polyps. It's in the nano with pc lighting. Is there any hope? What can I try to do to save it? TIA
Steve

I've seen flesh come off leaving the skeleton only but no polyps. What you are describing sounds like the flesh lost it's color, I haven't seen that before.

Yeh, the polyps have a greenish tint. It seems alive (polyps react to light)but the body is very white???? I'm disappointed I didn't react sooner. I'm probably going to lose it :'(

bleaching usually means too much light or not enough nutrients. Birdsnests like moderate lighting unlike other SPS. It's not too late Steve. Try moving him down and see how that affects it. Any thing else showing these signs? Can you post a photo?

it's possible. not likely but possible especially since birdsnest don't prefer high light. if the coral is undergoing stn than that's different.

Thanks everyone. It's at the bottom of a 12 ga nano with 48 watts. I did test kH and it is low. Will raise it over the next couple days.

yeah that's pretty low. are you using two part or kalkwasser? also be careful with test kits as some are way off. salifert had problems with their alk test kits reading about 3dKH off. best thing to do is to check your readings against some one elses.

Back