Cali Kid Corals

Brandie's 210 Upgrade

Brandie, correct me if I was wrong on any of those :-D I am procrastinating at work and decided it would be fun to answer questions on your thread, haha!

Everything came from Matt at AE. He was the awesome person that SO'd the skimmer for me, since I believe it's a size he doesn't normally carry.

@euod, no photoshop, just lots of hard work on Denzil's part. Mine too, but I'm not going to lie, Denzil did an awesome job polishing and resiliconing the tank. And props to @jestersix, because the rock work looks effin' awesome!

No water yet. I'll be finagling the plumbing tonight. Then I need to order two Maggie mufflers, loc line and brs netting. Hopefully I'll put my first batch of water in on Sunday night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Brandie, correct me if I was wrong on any of those :-D I am procrastinating at work and decided it would be fun to answer questions on your thread, haha!

That's totally ok! Thank you! I'm at work and haven't had tons of time to post, so thank you for doing that!

I won't put sand in until plumbing's done. And yes, Onyx Rapid LED light fixtures FTW!

@aqua-nut, nope, I can't. It's a darn good thing I waited. I can get the collection cup out, but the body will be in there until we move and I get a nicer stand made. Pics coming soon.

Playing with the skimmer at AE!! YAY!!
e4epahe5.jpg

Getting the skimmer in the stand. Also had to make sure that the max water level is 10 inches
anu9aqa5.jpg

Denzil getting ready to start putting on the vinyl on the back of the tank. I worked in wiping it down and cleaned up the sides from the water test
hape4a2y.jpg

Denzil wiping down the glass, to put on the final piece of the vinyl.
yrygamy5.jpg

Vinyl backing done!
yvu5yzyj.jpg

Working on jebao placement while on the ground. Lots to consider. Besides, it was awesome to see the rock work in with a black background now
ebepetu3.jpg

Tank is on the stand!! W00t!!
yharurep.jpg

Denzil blew me away yet again by sending me this pic while I was at work-- he put all the rock in after I had left :)
7egesa6y.jpg

Where did you get the Jebao pumps? It looks like a hard thing to pass up considering the cost difference between it and something comparable.

Matt has the wp-25s for $119 and the wp-40s for $129. They are really "all the rage" right now. Everyone couldn't stop praising them at RAP. People are saying they work much better than the mp series and are a fraction of the cost. They also have their own controllers and have more modes than the mps do. I can't wait to see what they look like with water in the tank!

Yeah that seems to be the only site I can find that lists them. I wonder if they're violating Tunze patents or something which is why you don't see other (US based) stores selling them, I know they look very similar.

Doesn't say how strong the magnet is. These pumps may make my build doable without breaking the bank. Tunze 6255 for $675 or....

You said Aqua Exotic, do they have any in the store on tanks? I'm really curious about how functional they really are. I'm not even that interested in the "wave making" I'm just into the DC pumps that push a ton of water.

BTW thank you Felicia and Brandie

Last edited:
Yeah that seems to be the only site I can find that lists them. I wonder if they're violating Tunze patents or something which is why you don't see other (US based) stores selling them, I know they look very similar.

Doesn't say how strong the magnet is. These pumps may make my build doable without breaking the bank. Tunze 6255 for $675 or....

You said Aqua Exotic, do they have any in the store on tanks? I'm really curious about how functional they really are. I'm not even that interested in the "wave making" I'm just into the DC pumps that push a ton of water.

I know some people on Nano-Reef have been ordering them from that online shop and I believe they received them without any issue. I don't know about patent violations. I guess that's a possibility, but I think its more just that they are new and importing them to the US takes a while. A lot of people on Nano-Reef really like them, and so far they seem like great pumps.

I believe I remember seeing some in at least one tank at Aqua Exotic.

How much open space is there within those rock structures? They look awesome btw! Hope ing there is a lot of fish space within them. I know you like your fish!

That's totally ok! Thank you! I'm at work and haven't had tons of time to post, so thank you for doing that!

I won't put sand in until plumbing's done. And yes, Onyx Rapid LED light fixtures FTW!

@aqua-nut, nope, I can't. It's a darn good thing I waited. I can get the collection cup out, but the body will be in there until we move and I get a nicer stand made. Pics coming soon.

I put rapid LED's Onyx lights on my 120 this year after they talked at BAR. Nice lights but I had to add some reefbrites to get more light at the front of the tank. You can see it if you come with Denzil on the tour.

Mike, Lapsan has one on his tank too. I need to stop by and check it out, but I am happy with my vortecs.

Arnold, yeah vortechs are fine, I have plenty, the problem I'm going to run into is my next tank has acrylic thicker than 3/4" so I'm not going to be able to use the MP40s anymore.

Back