Reef nutrition

BRS GFO/Carbon Reactor

patchin

Supporting Member
I just cleaned and refilled my BRS reactor and put it back together the way I had it before with both gaskets facing up. They are sequenced properly with the GFO first. I just noticed that the outside of the GFO cylinder is only half full (the inside with the GFO looks full), while the carbon cylinder is full. Do I have it put together wrong? Thanks

Sometimes it just takes a little time to purge the air from the canisters. As long as the media is submerged and tumbling it is all good!

BTW based on the order of the media (GFO first, GAC second) are you able to achieve a good flow rate through the carbon without pulverizing the GFO?

I put my BRS GFO reactor back on-line last night. When I checked it after I got home tonight it did the same thing as yours. I cracked the seal on the canister to bleed the air but as soon as I tightened back up it went right back down to the same level. As long as your GFO is in motion ay the top, you have no leaks, and you're getting flow through it, I think it's OK.

lattehiatus said:
BTW based on the order of the media (GFO first, GAC second) are you able to achieve a good flow rate through the carbon without pulverizing the GFO?
I have the duel BRS reactor too and wanted to control the flow through each canister separately. I pulled it apart, turned the tops 90 degrees, and bolted it back together. Now I feed each one separately from the front and they drain separately from the back down into the sump. That gives you flexibility of single BRS reactors with the smaller form factor of the dual reactor.

~Charlie

I think they have the order backwards and prefer GAC, GFO. The GFO does bond some of the same stuff that GAC does, so I want the GAC to do that work so the GFO can do what I want it to do.

Back