Jestersix

Bumbling newbie's 65g mixed reef

There is never enough space!! Even for me, where equipment is in the garage...

Does this make you feel better as far as cord mess??
You will notice I did not give advice on how to fix that part. :)

Note my "fancy" labeling : Masking tape wrapped around cord + permanent marker.
Thanks for sharing your pic. And you're right, I don't think I will ever have enough space.

I've been running my BRS reactor for less than 48 hours and I'm happy to say, it's already working. I checked my phosphates the day before setting up the reactor and got a .17 reading, but today it's at .08. YAY!

Last edited:
First generation coralline algae is usually green. Good be other algae. But in general I do not worry about phosphates and nitrates if I have a good skimmer and deep sand bed. I try not to run GFO or carbon except in emergencies. I am a "lazy reefer", but stuff grows in my tank. Granted my nitrates are not likely in the 20ppm range, but I keep them up so corals will grow.

First generation coralline algae is usually green. Good be other algae. But in general I do not worry about phosphates and nitrates if I have a good skimmer and deep sand bed. I try not to run GFO or carbon except in emergencies. I am a "lazy reefer", but stuff grows in my tank. Granted my nitrates are not likely in the 20ppm range, but I keep them up so corals will grow.
Thanks! That's a relief.

By Corals I have been propagated in hobbyist tanks because they are used to water conditions that are worse than natural salt water.

For beginning hobbyist, don't buy wild caught colony of coral or wild caught fish.

We all want to get you to be successful and not get disheartened by early losses.

By Corals I have been propagated in hobbyist tanks because they are used to water conditions that are worse than natural salt water.

For beginning hobbyist, don't buy wild caught colony of coral or wild caught fish.

We all want to get you to be successful and not get disheartened by early losses.

Great advice. Nothing more discouraging then watching your corals decline health wise

I took a tour of my closest LFS today. Went to Aquatic Collection in Hayward, Neptune Aquatics in Milpitas and Aquarium Concepts in my little ol' town of Dublin. I bought a few more pounds of live rock at AC and redid my rock... again. I think I'm finally happy with my rock work.

Yesterday I also bought this piece of rock because of that gorgeous coralline on it.

And today I found this cute little thing crawling around my QT. well, I hope it's cute. It looks like a little starfish. Is it harmless, or should I get rid of it? I know it's alive because it is VERY mobile.

My GSP was looking good, so I bought a couple more frags. I haven't dipped any of them yet, but will do so before putting them in the DT. They're all still in the QT, mostly because I'm a little nervous about dipping.

Here they are in full light.

And at night.

Back