got ethical husbandry?

Coral bandsaw

If i’m not mistaken ( i’ve never used a gypson) I do OWN an inland bandsaw.
The gypson uses recycled water over and over as you cut. The inland has a fill cup that you constantly have to fill while you cut. So basically, the corals being cut are always flushed with fresh saltwater. But, i agree with @Coral reefer that the gypson is a better quality saw.

Looks like you might have a solution with Mario. If not I have and recommend the Gryphon XL over the standard Gryphon. I have not used the Inland version, but I have used the standard Gryphon both for coral as well as at work on glass cutting projects. Most of the time it's fine, but if you're fragging colonies sometimes you need more height. I know a few people who bought the standard Gryphon instead of the XL, and every one of them regrets not getting the XL. If you had a good price on a used standard Gryphon I'd consider it. It used to be the only version, and a lot of corals have been fragged on them. If buying new get the tall one. I haven't done it, but I suspect you could turn a normal Gryphon into an XL equivalent with the correct blade (not cheap) and a longer plastic blade tensioning screw.

While it isn't fast, you absolutely can get through ceramic tiles with a Gryphon as I've done it. I've also cut 1/2" glass (also not fast), as well as a 5"+ thick chunk of not so porous live rock. I tend to clean it before, not after, fragging sessions and have had no issues with corrosion despite storing it with stagnant salt water.

It would be nice if someone with an Inland saw would measure throat clearance. Online it's rated for 3" vs. 5.5" on the Gryphon XL, but I don't know if that 3" is a conservative number to allow some working clearance. To get to the full rated thickness on the Gryphon you have to remove the upper blade guide, so they clearly weren't conservative with their rating.
The spec sheets also list the Inland saw at half the motor power of the Gryphon. I haven't verified either (motor numbers are not always honest), and for small frags it doesn't matter at all, but for really thick stuff (infrequent, but it comes up for me) I've found the limit on the Gryphon a few times. I also think basic machinery should connect to 50 A 240 V 3p power, so I'm an outlier.

One of the long time members of the DFWMAS club vanished at some point. Rumor was she had some sort of accident involving a fragging saw and a finger. I don't see anything had happening with our little diamond blade band saws, but it's a reminder that other tools (tile saws) require a bit more care. I also really appreciate the ability to cut a curve occasionally which a thin blade bandsaw does nicely.

I've used a dremel and diamond tool, it's a real PITA. My go-to tools are screwdrivers I don't care about (great for acros if you know how), bone cutters of various types, and the bandsaw. Every now and then I'll pull out a hammer and chisel, but that's a very rare situation. I nearly never pull out the Dremel or hacksaw for fragging anymore.

Not to hijack the thread but...... it occurred to me that since the bandsaws are usually idle (unlike the PAR meters which are bouncing all over the Bay Area), we could designate them to a region, e.g., 1)SF/Peninsula; 2)East Bay; 3)SouthBay. The caveats here are someone from each region would have to volunteer to store it when not in use. The only other negative would be that they are different models. So, if you want to borrow the one designated for So Bay but live in SF, that would be a pain. If we could establish something like this, then maybe we could consider buying Mario's if he's willing to sell it.

Not to hijack the thread but...... it occurred to me that since the bandsaws are usually idle (unlike the PAR meters which are bouncing all over the Bay Area), we could designate them to a region, e.g., 1)SF/Peninsula; 2)East Bay; 3)SouthBay. The caveats here are someone from each region would have to volunteer to store it when not in use. The only other negative would be that they are different models. So, if you want to borrow the one designated for So Bay but live in SF, that would be a pain. If we could establish something like this, then maybe we could consider buying Mario's if he's willing to sell it.
Thats a great idea. I would survey demand before buying a new bandsaw. Cause am not sure how much demand there is. Beside someone think he/she will need it one day, what is the actual deman.
I have been contemplating on getting one for years, justt now I feel real pinch to have one.
As i said, am planning on buying one either way, and once I get it, I will have it available to club members cause am sure I will not use it that often. The only caveat I will have is that users will need to pick it up and return it to my place cause I cannot commit to driving given am WFH and babysitting my 4 years old..

What about us in the North Bay? Why are we always the forgotten bastard children of local reef clubs?? :p

I have two band saws, one should be in the Fremont area and the other one with Mike.
The club has another saw so that’s three available and as Will mentions, they can be geographically kept so it’s easier for people to use them/return to the volunteer/person in charge of storing the saw.
I honestly don’t want to sell them, rather consider them equipment for the club to have available for anyone to use.

I have two band saws, one should be in the Fremont area and the other one with Mike.
The club has another saw so that’s three available and as Will mentions, they can be geographically kept so it’s easier for people to use them/return to the volunteer/person in charge of storing the saw.
I honestly don’t want to sell them, rather consider them equipment for the club to have available for anyone to use.
I think the club is willing to one of them from you

These things are relatively small right? tabletop? I can volunteer to house one in San Jose if that helps.

Back