Cali Kid Corals

Coral Wars

patchin

Supporting Member
Have never had any problem with my Hydnophora (from Jeremy), until tonight, that is. Had a beautiful Ricordia that has given me at least 6 babies. Looked in the nano and the Ricordia looked all distorted, then I saw some threadlike stuff from the Hyd attacking it. I tried to cut the threads, but I think it's a gonner. :'(
I'll have two babies from it in DBTC soon.

Hydnophora are mean like that.

I try for 6" clearance from stuff that's known for powerful stings. Even that might not be enough space sometimes.

2" is like dangling your feet over the rail at the tiger exhibit ;)

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=4727.msg57530#msg57530 date=1223139354]
Jeremy, wonder if your Hydro of death made it to the steinhart, or did they chuck it because it was killing all the other corals :D

[/quote]It's an insidious plan, in 100 years, the display will be dominated by Hydnophora. Unless someone donated Galaxia, then it's full on warfare :D

Jeremy did warn me. I didn't realize how much clearance was needed. Besides, I've had it for, probably, a year now with no consequences.

If anything Jeremy, it'll make me wonder about how much practical experience being schooled in Marine Biology really is, gotta try and find it and see if it's surrounded by a bunch of corals or if they did put it someplace out of the way. I know Rich could probably spot the potential hazards but I'm not sure he had coral planting duty.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=4727.msg57532#msg57532 date=1223140462]
hmm..how about orange crush acan?

[/quote]

I've never tried to get them to do battle, so your guess is as good as mine. I'd imagine whichever coral is larger would win just due to it's ability to barf up more mesenterial filaments, and overwhelm its opponents.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=4727.msg57532#msg57532 date=1223140462]
hmm..how about orange crush acan?

[/quote]
LOL Man your little bug that walks around for your sig got me.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=4727.msg57549#msg57549 date=1223150860]
If anything Jeremy, it'll make me wonder about how much practical experience being schooled in Marine Biology really is[/quote]

I took a bunch of marine bio in college. Minimal practical experience. Lots of theoretical basis. I majored in biological systems.

Eileen's Ric > Orange crush acan :-D (hermit pushed the acan frag over 4" into the ric)

/and there was much rejoicing

837_20_10_08_11_12_09.jpg

Yep, my yuma litterally extended 2-3 inches once and toasted my smuckers micro I got from Ian. I have 1 polyp out of 6 or so that appears to be pulling through. I have it in a shaded spot still after 1-2 months but I think it'll pull through. I think yuma's trump.... most

Back