Reef nutrition

Danh’s IM25 Lagoon

thephoreefer

Supporting Member
IM 25 Lagoon
Rsr350 Downsizing to IM25 Lagoon
Cycling IM25 Lagoon 08/11/2023
Start with microbacteria7 and Dr tim one for all for diverse bacteria.
Icecap nano K1 skimmer
Smart ato
Aquarium heater
No light yet still working on it.
Using ammonia chloride instead of frozen shrimp

58DB4360-40CB-4E15-ABD3-2DD549412321.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a bunch of live rock that's been cooking for a couple months in my garage. Good variety of stuff. Had some bottled bacteria and a couple pieces from a tank added in.

Lmk if you need any.

I hate the uglies that usually follow, but there are few things I love more about reefing than the slow clearing of haze after your first fill.

I love Tonga branch rock. Did you have that rock sitting in your sump? Looks really well encrusted in coralline already!

I love Tonga branch rock. Did you have that rock sitting in your sump? Looks really well encrusted in coralline already!
Bought from lfs shut down tank 4$ a rock. Got 10 pieces. The coralline died cus new tank but doesn’t matter lol not a fan of coralline. What’s important is it’s live and I like the look

Bought from lfs shut down tank 4$ a rock. Got 10 pieces. The coralline died cus new tank but doesn’t matter lol not a fan of coralline. What’s important is it’s live and I like the look
That's an insane deal! BRS is charging almost $5 a pound for painted Marco Rock. What are the fish stocking plans?

Day 4
Temperature 78-79.
Cycle is stalling for some reason I can’t figure out… no nitrates and nitrite being made.
Previously i cycled using instant ocean biospira and it cycle the tank fast. I got noticeable change in ammonium nitrite and nitrates. Now biospira is discontinued I’ve tried other bottle bacteria and very disappointed with the results!
Used brightwell microbacteria7. Ammonium chloride 10 drops. Fishless cycle
Then Dr Tim’s one and all.

Do you guys think I got dead bottle of bacteria in both bottles?
Using live rock Tonga and biomedia from my tank too..

Another explanation is large die off of bacteria for some reason.
Thinking about doing a 50% wc. Will do it tomorrow if still no progress on cycle. Any advice be helpful. I know takes time but odd the cycle not moving.

I Will keep updating.
A2C9DFEB-C53C-4B87-AF1C-A15CE889DC98.jpeg

Last edited:
I've used fritz. I also was seeing a stall between nitrites and nitrates. However once you get proof ammonia is going away and is not there, you technically can add fish. Fritz and generally bottled bacteria proponents say as soon as you add the bottled bacteria you can add fish, even on day 1 of setup.

10 drops of ammonia seems like a pretty small amount, but keep in mind if you add too much ammonia you kill everything including bacteria, so better to go too little than too much, and don't add more until you see it moving down. Adding more also seems questionable versus waiting for it to zero and then putting in a fish.

Once I read up more on it, and was confident I was seeing ammonia going to zero, I added fish to my tank and everything was fine after that. Nitrites went to 0, fish was happy.

I've used fritz. I also was seeing a stall between nitrites and nitrates. However once you get proof ammonia is going away and is not there, you technically can add fish. Fritz and generally bottled bacteria proponents say as soon as you add the bottled bacteria you can add fish, even on day 1 of setup.

10 drops of ammonia seems like a pretty small amount, but keep in mind if you add too much ammonia you kill everything including bacteria, so better to go too little than too much, and don't add more until you see it moving down. Adding more also seems questionable versus waiting for it to zero and then putting in a fish.

Once I read up more on it, and was confident I was seeing ammonia going to zero, I added fish to my tank and everything was fine after that. Nitrites went to 0, fish was happy.
Thanks, will try to do 100% wc and see if it helps

Back