DBTC: ShuTin's Red Planet

Discussion in 'DBTC - SPS' started by neuro, Jan 29, 2015.

statistics
ShuTin's Red Planet
Chain Started on:
01/29/2015
Latest Updated on:
02/06/2015
Chain Length:
8 days
Most Generous Donors:
neuro
Most Single Donations:
Number of Transactions:
Currently Growing:
Currently Available:
Currently Failures:
Currently Unknown:
  • redplanet.JPG
  • 20150128_184846.jpg
  • neuro
    neuro
    01/29/2015
    • Coral reefer
      Coral reefer
      02/06/2015
    • Geneva
      Geneva
      02/05/2015
  1. neuro

neuro Webmaster

The original, gigantic colony was lost due to prolonged actinics. It was my pride and joy and I really loved it. I have a few small frags that I was able to scrounge, but this is where I need help to bring this thing back to it's original size: almost 12" long and about 6" tall.

I want to give at least 3 frags so we don't lose this precious resource. I'm sorry, but these are small frags and it was difficult to save what I could.

General DBTC rules apply! Plus:- Frag swaps are OK, but if only if the original colony you have is thriving.
    - I have the right to add more rules in the event I totally forgot that something should be included.
    - We shall call this DBTC ShuTin Red Planet. That is the official name. I want to give credence to ShuTin and our DBTC program by creating a legacy.

You MUST have a tank log here. Recipients will be chosen if they have an established tank.
    Not everyone can grow this guy for some reason, but I find it insanely easy.

Light:
    250 watt, 14k MH DE, actinics RB and 2 B.
    Par can be ~ 200 for deep reds, > 200 for light pink with light greens.
    Colony in picture was sitting at least 30" (2.5 ft) away from light.

Located in San Carlos.

Attached Files:

denzil likes this.
  2. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I would like to grab and grow one please?

neuro likes this.
  3. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

Mike - you know my tank - do you think this would do well?? I would like to try but only if you think it has a good chance of thriving!! Thanks!

neuro likes this.
  4. siokoy

siokoy Guest

Is this the same one I got from you?

Siokoy

5. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Most likely, yes.

6. neuro

neuro Webmaster

Yes, but none of the frags I have are nearly as robust in size and health as the one you got from me. These are far from diluting the value of your frag.

7. siokoy

siokoy Guest

The ones I have are thriving so far

Siokoy

neuro likes this.
  8. neuro

neuro Webmaster

A few people have received frags from me, and out of everyone, 3 mention that it was not easy to grow or have died quickly.

I have not had problems with growth, so I wanted to make sure the people knew what they were getting into.

9. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

I don't have a tank journal up yet, but our tank has been established for 3 months now and super stable. Our initial SPS frags are all encrusting and everything is growing well, but we have a lot of real estate for new coral.

I've been lucky to receive other DBTC frags over the last couple of weeks, so feel free to give other folks a place in line ahead of me.

That being said, we've got a stable home for SPS and LPS. I'll be at the Feb meetup or could pickup otherwise.

neuro likes this.
  10. denzil

denzil Webmaster

Awesome piece!

11. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

12. neuro

neuro Webmaster

13. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Glued mine in at 1:30 am before leaving for Hawaii. Hopefully it will look good upon my return!

14. Reef Keeper

Reef Keeper Guest

I'm looking to add a red planet...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  15. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

And it does look good. Starting to color up. Polyp extension. Woohoo. Gonna be awhile before I can frag and pass it on tho

16. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

The DBTC tree thing is pretty neat. Just noticed that. Very nice guys.

denzil and Enderturtle like this.
  17. neuro

neuro Webmaster

hey sorry i didn't see these posts eaerlier.

@Coral reefer - glad it's coming around. it may take a while but it's really beautiful when it gets going.

@Reef Keeper & @wpeterson - hey when it grows out, i'll come back to this thread and post again. If you guys are around and your tank logs are goin', i'll pass this along!

@iCon - thanks, glad it's showing up for you!

wpeterson likes this.
  18. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

Alfred (@neuro ) - just an update. I kept the 2 smaller frags and they both are greening up at the base with tiny red polyps! Keeping fingers crossed that they will make it! Thanks again!

neuro likes this.