Kessil

DBTC-X Aussie Acan

Okay, I'm going to make 2 frags of this Aussie Acan (probably with the help of Norm, hehe). I posted a vendor pic of these in Ian's thread - these are pics from my tank. Looks more pinkish in my tank, possibly because I'm running MH, and the vendor was using T5's.

Anyways, usual rules apply (I hate making rules!):

- you are a BAR member

- you have started a DBTCX or will commit to starting one or
- you have started 5 or more DBTC or
- you have put back 8 or more (same or different) 2nd/3rd generation SPS/LPS DBTC

- you commit to returning TWO 2nd generation frags of this coral to DBTC before trading or selling
- You can pick it up from me at an upcoming meeting or in Dublin or Palo Alto

Couple shots from different spots on the colony:

123_16_02_08_12_04_42.jpg

123_16_02_08_12_17_14.jpg

123_16_02_08_12_16_50.jpg

Out of curiosity what lighting/depth do you have this under? I was thinking lps would be a nice nano-coral because I don't have to get my whole arm wet to spot feed them :D

Feeding LPS is my favorite thing! ok..maybe not favorite, but sure is fun. Both my SW tanks are nano so ya. I only get my forearm well feedingthem :p

[quote author=Natterjak link=topic=3122.msg33976#msg33976 date=1203147217]
Okay, I'm going to make 2 frags of this Aussie Acan (probably with the help of Norm, hehe).[/quote]

My diamond saw and I are around on weekend afternoons if you need a hand :D

Also during the day this Weds.

Norm, I'll have to come up some weekend and get this fragged. :) Wednesday I'm stuck at work. :(

There's a couple parts where it's not too thick - I'm wondering if I might be able to use a dremel for those.

Mike, I have this at the bottom of my 24" tank under 250w MH, but I think that might even be more light than it needs. Sounds like these guys do better under lower light conditions.

Okay, so LordHelmet and nash for the two frags? I'll let you guys know when it's fragged - might be a few weeks, as my weekends are a bit crazy these days.

[quote author=Natterjak link=topic=3122.msg34144#msg34144 date=1203318323]There's a couple parts where it's not too thick - I'm wondering if I might be able to use a dremel for those.
[/quote]

Might be able to dremel from underneath with a diamond blade.

Try to keep lined up in between the polyps on the top side.

It's ok if you don't cut all the way through. You can finish by splitting the frag off with a screw driver.

Just use the saw cut to guide the break where you like.

hth :D

Bonnie: Hmmm sounds like my more colorful indo lords, if I stick them under too much light they bleh out. So I keep them semi-shaded out of direct light

Woohoo! Big thanks to Norm for helping me frag this! Let me know how you guys want to pick these up - you can either come pick them up in Dublin, or at the BOD meeting (I'm planning on going) next week. I also ended up with an extra - Mike, I think you were the first to ask for a 2nd gen piece, do you want it?

So I was the first to ask for a 2nd gen piece, and then I got a 1st gen... well I just noticed the other night a halo of about a dozen babies around the two main heads in a halo, so by next meeting I think this can easily be fragged into a couple (few?) more frags.

Here's a top down shot, slightly different coloring the picture Bonnie tossed up, but I'm sure different lighting and all that rot, I stuck mine on the bottom of my 18" tall tank under 250w 14k Hamilitons (which I don't know if I quite like yet). Can almost make out one of the babies (they're growing on the side), so I might need to work this coral a bit differently to get it those to grow faster (not much light)
bonnieacanvg9.jpg

Here's a side view of some of the babies, of course this is pictured through my scratched to hell acrylic at an odd angle... so yeah not as clean looking as the top down :D
bonnieacansidezv9.jpg

So like I said, by next meeting, I'll more than likely have frags available, I'm contemplating popping the babies off now so they can sit under the light more so, but I'll have to see, I might just let them grow a bit more.
Perry & Jkreefer seems to be the only two others who asked for later generations, so I'll put them on the top of my list, unless someone else has them ready to distribute earlier.

Back