Reef nutrition

Denzil's 10 Gallon (Temporary) Nano Tank

Since I've had this tank set up for a while already (beginning of November shortly after BAP), I figured I might as well put up a tank journal to help me keep track of things and allow anyone to provide any feedback. I'm still new to the hobby so any feedback would be appreciated. I'm working my way to becoming a reef pro. ;)

A little background regarding the tank and why it's up. xuilo (Julio) won two raffles for a set of four clowns and Julio was gracious enough to give me a set of four. Of course, I didn't have a tank up and running at the time so while I accepted to take one of those set of four clowns, the clowns would rent space in Brandie's 90g while the 10g was set up and cycling. Luckily, the weekend after BAP was Reef-A-Palooza so I was able to pick up some additional Marco rock to add to the remaining stash that Brandie had for her 90g. I also had a MP10WES that I got from jT415Gz (Jeff) back in September when he was breaking his tank down.

I took one of the pieces of live rock from Brandie's 90g and did some water changes with water from her tank (I originally started with freshly mixed water and added Dr. Tim's One and Only) to help accelerate the cycling process. I probably tested the water every 2-3 days until I started seeing the results I needed. After that, I haven't really tested until earlier today, with which I'll post the test results in a separate post. I also picked up a RBTA with two clowns that host in it from DaveB (Dave). Luckily, the clowns are getting along pretty fine.

As for the frags/coral, I picked up the GBTA and chalice from Jess at Diablo Corals, the green zoa frag and Scolymia from All About Fish, the purple hammer from falling off of the main colony (that Brandie has) from Dave, and the purple zoa frag from the BAR swap. I have other zoa frags from All About Fish, RAP, and the BAR swap that are renting space in Brandie's 90g on frag racks that I built from black egg crate that lattehiatus (David) donated to me. Also, there's some of that Blue Ochtodes Macroalgae that I got from FeliciaLynn (Felicia).

There's also some sort of algae that's building up around my tank and on my heater. It looks to be of a dark maroon color. There are some pictures of it below. Any idea what it is?

Here are some shots that I took today with my DSLR: http://denzil.smugmug.com/Pets/Aquariums/10g/27705691_NcsbwD

denzil said:
There's also some sort of algae that's building up around my tank and on my heater. It looks to be of a dark maroon color. There are some pictures of it below. Any idea what it is?

Looks to me like cyanobacteria covering hair algae. When you run your hand over it does the maroon colored stuff slough off?

Wow those clown have grown and look happy!

Test parameters for 01/24/13
Specific Gravity - 1.023
Temperature - 80.5* F
Ca - 420 ppm
KH - 7.8 dKH
Mg - 1460 ppm

So while my Ca is seemingly fine, I have a KH and Mg issue. I'm only .2 dKH outside of the accepted range and 110 ppm outside of the accepted range for Mg. Any suggestions on how to fix for such a small tank with no ATO set up?

Acceptable range according to LiveAquaria:

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/Screen Shot 2013-01-24 at 1.57.57 PM.png

lattehiatus said:
denzil said:

Looks to me like cyanobacteria covering hair algae. When you run your hand over it does the maroon colored stuff slough off?

Not sure what you mean by "slough off" but if you're asking if it comes off easily, yes, it does. :)

Overall looks good. You've got a lot of life packed into that 10G. Is there a skimmer?

I agree w/ David, it's cyano. Cyano is really a bacteria. Try to get as much out when you do water change. I've heard it can be poisonous.

I've had rare outbreaks in my FW tank. Cured it with erythromycin. Not sure you need that here. Just do water changes. This will also help with Kh and Mg levels assuming your fresh mix is up to snuff.

Yeah, I had the Tunze 9002 on there at one point but removed it since there weren't as many corals and fish. At the time there were only two corals, three clowns, and minimal lighting (Aqueon LED modular). It looks like I'll have to put the 9002 back into service. I was initially contested with space due to the Aqueon lighting but now that I have the Rapid LED lights, I have plenty of space to fit the 9002 back in there. To be honest, I haven't been doing weekly water changes and only been doing monthly ones. I suppose I should go back to weekly 20% water changes and then throttle back once the tank has really settled with the rock fully cured. Of course, I should have my 40B set up in the next couple of months. However, that's in theory. I guess I just need to make the final decision on my tank stand design and start building! :)

In a small tank like that I've learned quickly that weekly water changes are a must, my QT which has very little bioload will get very finicky with params if I lagged on changing water, sometimes I'll do 2 in a week, you have lots of LR and with a skimmer you could probably go 2 weeks safely but not a month. You already read my comment in another thread about water changes and how it affects KH drop ;)

Your water parameters look fine. Water changes will help bring them back into line. Just remember, for your small tank, if you're doing a 10% water change (1 gallons), try to stay with the same salt. If you ever change salt, do several rounds of water changes over several days (at least).

Different salt will have significantly different alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium levels. Primary concern is alkalinity swing of more then 2dKH will cause SPS to bleach.

Generally, for your small tank, the water changes help address excessive waste buildup that is not processed fast enough by little amounts of live rock & live sand (smaller rocks/smaller volume, means less surfaces for bacteria denitrification).

You can probably help reduce frequency of water changes by running carbon or GFO. But frankly, water changes is quicker & easier.

lattehiatus said:

They are really personable! We did loose the tiniest misbar because he jumped :'( I still can't get over this guy. Doesn't even have his set up finished and he had more corals and fish than I did! :p

What an experience to see and watch them grow though. Now I have an idea of why you do it, but I'd want to keep them all xD

aqua-nut said:
Try to get as much out when you do water change. I've heard it can be poisonous.

There are some poisonous cyano, but we rarely in contact with them, and I think the really bad ones are freshwater ones.

Finally got the 80 degree lenses on after having to wait for my order of thermal paste from Amazon. It's Arctic Alumina by Arctic Silver. It's a two-part solution and works pretty well (so far). I would highly suggest it if you can't get the lenses to fit snugly over the CREE's.

Be warned, the white balance is horribly off. I'll have to figure it out sooner or later. The original versions of these photos have been added to my SmugMug gallery.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1550.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1551.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1552.JPG

Do you shoot in RAW? Might be easier to tweak in post if you do. A trick - put something pure white or pure grey in the tank for test shot. Makes it easy to balance in PhotoShop. A PVC part, sch 40 or 80 would do the trick. Once you get the correction you could apply it to all the pics taken under the same light.

Tank looks great! Do you notice it brighter or with less spill over after the lenses were installed? Any 'disco ball' effect before/after?

Well I can tell you that I no longer have this bright, piercing light in my face while laying down on the couch watching tv ;) the lenses have definitely helped, much less spillage than before.

If disco ball effect refers to shimmers, then omg yes! Shimmers are much bigger and more defined with the lenses on...

Sorry I couldn't help myself from replying even though it was a question for Denzil. I was just happy that the bright light was out of my face when watching tv last night ;D

Sometimes the SO comments are more truthful! :)

Disco ball refers to the colors not mixing and there are blue, white, red, green etc. splotches of light within the tank. A common complaint about DIY LEDs.

BAYMAC said:
aqua-nut said:
Try to get as much out when you do water change. I've heard it can be poisonous.

There are some poisonous cyano, but we rarely in contact with them, and I think the really bad ones are freshwater ones.

In my attempt to be a skeptical aquarist, :), I said 'I've heard'. Wish I could remember who said it. Was it Bob Fenner, Scott Fellman or Dana Riddle? Damm, getting older sucks!

aqua-nut said:
Sometimes the SO comments are more truthful! :)

Disco ball refers to the colors not mixing and there are blue, white, red, green etc. splotches of light within the tank. A common complaint about DIY LEDs.

He's only running blues and whites currently, and to me, they seem to mix pretty well. As he is more critical, he could probably give you a better opinion. I won't know until I get mine on my new tank ;)

aqua-nut said:
BAYMAC said:
aqua-nut said:

In my attempt to be a skeptical aquarist, :), I said 'I've heard'. Wish I could remember who said it. Was it Bob Fenner, Scott Fellman or Dana Riddle? Damm, getting older sucks!

Nice guys, but hardly phycologists ;) I've had this very conversation with our phycologist :)

You posted a fear type post and I injected some reality. Cyano in our tanks isn't something you statistically need to worry about ;)

aqua-nut said:
BAYMAC said:
aqua-nut said:

Nice guys, but hardly phycologists ;) I've had this very conversation with our phycologist :)

You posted a fear type post and I injected some reality. Cyano in our tanks isn't something you statistically need to worry about ;)

Back