got ethical husbandry?

Dipping toes into salty water...

I have the reef flakes. I have experienced the algae-glue-sand-to-rock issues. I blame myself for this. Not enough sand stirring as the tank settles in. I'm not sure what to do about it. The substrate is not a solid mass. I can scoop out most of the hard chunks. Might be time to get out the hammer and go medieval on it!

Reactions: swk
I stir regularly to avoid clumping and get detritus in the water column. I don't always do that in the fuge in my FT...I just pulled it out and replaced it.

John- lmk if you ever make a Tropic Eden sand order again through PA.

Last edited:
y6avuryn.jpg

Painted the back in my lunch break

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll probably just use the carribsea special grade reef sand in DT and refugium. I am very comfortable with that product and handles high flow well ime.

Ok, update time...

Skimmer has shipped and will arrive Wednesday next week and I just purchased lighting

It's a 24" controllable Chinese fixture purchased through reef radiance. I wanted kessils, but this fixture was literally half the price of 2 360's. I'm sticking to my budget conscious guns on this build cause who knows, I might not even like it! :p

So, due to chinese new year, I will not receive this light until the end of february. Can I begin my cycle without lighting?

Anyone ever buy live rock off craigslist or anything? Is it best to avoid? I'm looking at getting some material from marco rock. If I'm looking for a fairly sparse aquascape, how many pounds of rock should I be looking at?

Lumber has been purchased for the stand. Since the tank is just going in the garage I will simply be using the RC template that everyone and their mother uses. Won't be a work of art, but it'll be stout and serviceable. I'll post some pics when I wrap it up.

y9a8u3er.jpg

38" tall stand frame completed. Gonna skin parts for added stability but that's it.

I would not want to run too long without a skimmer. A good skimmer is very effective at removing organics in the water column. I am a big softies guy and they love rotifers and other small frozen food particulates, but you need some method to export the left overs.

Answers in bold below;

Hi there. For those that don't know me, my name is Sean, and here's my thread from the "welcome" section:

http://www.bareefers.org/forum/index.php?threads/wassup-noob-here.16165/

So, my plan includes a 40B, with a 20L sump. I can go larger on the sump to say, a 29, if the consensus is that it will provide a huge advantage. The stand will be DIY and will be either wood, or steel with wood skins. I plan to make the height between 30-36" so I have plenty of room to maneuver inside the cabinet. I will be drilling the tank, but I am unsure as to what style system to go with. I would prefer to rig up a herbie as opposed to a glass-holes single overflow with a straight standpipe. I am certainly open to any and all ideas you all have. Consider me a sponge. I'm good at taking advice so throw some my way if you see me veering toward disaster!

So here's a brief, and probably disorganised run down of equipment and questions:

#1 - Overflow. I assume a single 1" or 1.5" drain will be sufficient. Is there a way to do a herbie, or bean setup without fabbing an overflow box that's not totally ugly?

Consider a backup drain, just in case it gets clogged. Otherwise I'm lacking experience with the herbie or beananimal overflow.

#2 - Return pump. How much flow do reefers prefer to have through the sump? 5x? 10x? I will use a submersible pump for this application

I've used cheapo ViaAqua 2600 for 12 years continuously! It's 740 GPH, but after loss, it's around 600-700. It is fine for my 58G, which is the same footprint as your 40B, but a touch taller. I don't think huge turnaround is important. The advantage to a higher GPH return is that it gives your main tank more current. But you have that nice MP40 (I'm assuming the ecotech pump and not the German submachine gun!) so that should cover in-display tank flow...which is important to coral health. But I don't think sump "turnover" is really that important.

#3 - Skimmer. Been looking at these 2 models simply because I'm most familiar with this brand and it's overall positive reputation. I also have gift cards to DFS, so I'd prefer to buy from there.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578 4392 24787&pcatid=2478
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578 4392 24783&pcatid=24783

Looks good, and a reputable skimmer. Don't skimp on skimmers, it will drive you nuts if you have a flaky one!

Obviously the smaller models. Are these ok or are they too big? Any other brands and models I should look at?

#4 - Wavemaker. I have a mp40w laying around I could use. Too big? If so, I was planning on purchasing the jebeo (sp?) wp25s or 10's. Could really use some advice on this

I'm not sure waves are THAT important, but if you have it, why not use it! You can turn an MP40 down, right?

#5 - Lights. Although I plan to keep easy corals at first, I don't want to have to purchase new lights to move to sps. My plan to keep things affordable at this point (I have a 2 yr old starting pre-school) is a Reef Breeders value fixture. I assume 1 unit will be adequate if I am strategic about placement

I highly suggest getting LEDs right away, even if they are pricy. The reason is that the sooner you buy lights that are energy efficient (ie NOT MH lights!) the sooner they pay you back. You DO NOT want to replace bulbs everyyear. MH bulbs are like $50 a piece minimum.

#6 - Sump. Will be a DIY 20L with filter sock. Is a fuge in such a small setup that advantageous? Will split the drain to sock and skimmer on one side, fuge (if I use on) on the far opposite end with the return pump in the middle.

I'm starting my 180 with a 20L as well, and taking my time to make a custom one. Make sure that when you build your stand, you give yourself enough door space that you can slide your sump INTO and OUT OF the stand!! I had a nice sump that just can' be maneuovered into the stand!

#7 - reactors. Do I need them for GFO and/or Carbon?

Start off without a reactor. You DO NOT NEED GFO or Carbon. Even if you need carbon, stick one of your freshwater HOB filter stuffed with carbon onto the sump. OR stick a bag of GFO or carbon in your sump.

#8 - RO/DI. Not on my "need" list as of now.

This should actually be the very first thing you buy, unless you plan to haul filtered water from the store in big bottles. You can use Amquel to fix the chlorine/chloramine, but there is other stuff in there you don't want that causes algae to bloom (it will bloom anyway, but it makes it harder). This is in fact why people buy GFO reactors ... because they have stuff inthe water they don't want.

#9 - Rock - Was planning dry and soaking in RO to leech phosphates. Cycle will be with ammonia and bacterial starter. Or should I use live rock?

Dry rock is fine, it becomes live real quick. You know this as a freshwater guy. The only "live"ness you need are A-N-N bacteria. Every other tiny critter will come to your tank as you go to frag swaps!

#10 - Special Seafloor grade from whoeveritis

OK, ask around for spare sand from club members first before buying expensive sand. It will give you some of that "live" stuff. ... including pests :p

#11 - This is where I need help. Can someone help guide me on my questions and point me in the right direction if there's something I missed?

From your second posting. ATO makes life WAY easier, but it's expensive. I bought the Spectrapure Ultimate top off and it was hellishly expensive, but completely worth it. You do not need one for your in-tank skimmer as long as you use baffles in your sump to keep one section at a constant level and let evaporation take place only in the return pump section. Then just dump RO water in every week. After filling your tank and sump, stick a piece of tape at the water level you start with and every week top off to that level. The baffle will keep your skimmer at the correct level. A sump wihtout baffles is much harder to keep your skimmer from going crazy.

Again, many thanks and I'm very excited!

Hope that helps! And you'll get many more opinions! Good luck!

V

amapeneb.jpg
aju3aha7.jpg

Ready for water and rocks! Just wanna let the sump silicone cure through the weekend and then I'll fire it up!

Back