Dipping toes into salty water...

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by swk, Jan 9, 2014.

1. gimmito

gimmito Supporting Member

Tropic Eden Reef Flakes are the best sand I've used hands down.

2. aqua-nut

aqua-nut Supporting Member

I have the reef flakes. I have experienced the algae-glue-sand-to-rock issues. I blame myself for this. Not enough sand stirring as the tank settles in. I'm not sure what to do about it. The substrate is not a solid mass. I can scoop out most of the hard chunks. Might be time to get out the hammer and go medieval on it!

swk likes this.
  3. gimmito

gimmito Supporting Member

I stir regularly to avoid clumping and get detritus in the water column. I don't always do that in the fuge in my FT...I just pulled it out and replaced it.

John- lmk if you ever make a Tropic Eden sand order again through PA.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  4. swk

swk Guest

[​IMG]

Painted the back in my lunch break

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. swk

swk Guest

I'll probably just use the carribsea special grade reef sand in DT and refugium. I am very comfortable with that product and handles high flow well ime.

neuro likes this.
  6. swk

swk Guest

Ok, update time...

Skimmer has shipped and will arrive Wednesday next week and I just purchased lighting

It's a 24" controllable Chinese fixture purchased through reef radiance. I wanted kessils, but this fixture was literally half the price of 2 360's. I'm sticking to my budget conscious guns on this build cause who knows, I might not even like it! :p

neuro likes this.
  7. swk

swk Guest

So, due to chinese new year, I will not receive this light until the end of february. Can I begin my cycle without lighting?

8. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Yes.
    In fact, that is recommended. Less algae growth during process.

swk likes this.
  9. swk

swk Guest

Perfect!

10. swk

swk Guest

Anyone ever buy live rock off craigslist or anything? Is it best to avoid? I'm looking at getting some material from marco rock. If I'm looking for a fairly sparse aquascape, how many pounds of rock should I be looking at?

11. swk

swk Guest

Lumber has been purchased for the stand. Since the tank is just going in the garage I will simply be using the RC template that everyone and their mother uses. Won't be a work of art, but it'll be stout and serviceable. I'll post some pics when I wrap it up.

12. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

you should post here before going to CL, a member may be able to sell you some rock for a good price...

13. swk

swk Guest

[​IMG]

38" tall stand frame completed. Gonna skin parts for added stability but that's it.

14. swk

swk Guest

[​IMG]

Stand built, drains plumbed

15. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

looking great, nice stand

16. swk

swk Guest

Thanks man! Tank is it it's final location!

[​IMG]

17. magnetar68

magnetar68 Supporting Member

I would not want to run too long without a skimmer. A good skimmer is very effective at removing organics in the water column. I am a big softies guy and they love rotifers and other small frozen food particulates, but you need some method to export the left overs.

18. swk

swk Guest

[​IMG]

Skimmer....check!

19. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

Answers in bold below;

Hope that helps! And you'll get many more opinions! Good luck!

V

20. swk

swk Guest

[​IMG][​IMG]

Ready for water and rocks! Just wanna let the sump silicone cure through the weekend and then I'll fire it up!