Do corals need a period of time with no lights?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Vincerama2, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

On my QT, I'm running old power compacts just because those are the lights I have on hand. I may switch to my kessil 150.

But I've been lazy and not put the lights on a timer, so I switch them on when I wake up (tanks are in the dining room) when I eat breakfast and turn them off when I go to be, which might be midnight.

However, sometimes I just forget to turn them off.

My DT is on timers that turn on around 6 and stay on until 1 or 2 AM, beacuse I am on "Time of Use" power and lights on at night are cheaper.

Am I driving my corals and/or fish insane with a reversed photo period or a NEVER ENDING photperiod?

V

2. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

I'm sure long term it would likely be bad but here and there would likely have a much smaller effect. Remember that the symbiotic relationship the coral has with the zooxanthellae is a balance.

3. Paratore

Paratore Guest

If it only happens every once in a while, then the corals will be just fine. If it is left on for long periods of time, they will suffer. I once left my lights on for 4 days straight... I was messing with my lights and then when out of town for a few days. When I came back, all of my corals were starting to bleach and looked super pissed off. They all survived but looked really bad for a while.

4. tankguy

tankguy Vice President

just like the reef there is day and night. To me that sounds like a lot of light

5. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

I would guess you'd have real problems with cyano and algae.

6. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

You're a parent. Just imagine what would happen to you if your kids kept you up for over 24 hours.

tankguy likes this.
  7. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

Would depend on whether I let them out of their closet or not.

L/B Block and Coral reefer like this.
  8. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Ummm ... babies ... yes, I can imagine, completely.
    :)