Jestersix

DSB ?

[quote author=capescuba link=topic=1784.msg17475#msg17475 date=1173971876]I actually wonder why anyone might want to keep a tank that is bare bottomed and full of plastic tubes and egg crate? Is it a modern art thing? I mean if you are running a store, then this is a coonvenient way to display stuff, but it's not really realistic.
[/quote]

I'm starting to get tired of display tanks, and a prop system is a way to cram a ton of cool corals into the same space :D

How about a combination system with a small zero edge display tank overflowing into a shallow prop tank?

[quote author=capescuba link=topic=1784.msg17475#msg17475 date=1173971876]
LOL - I knew where this thread was going!

I actually wonder why anyone might want to keep a tank that is bare bottomed and full of plastic tubes and egg crate? Is it a modern art thing? I mean if you are running a store, then this is a coonvenient way to display stuff, but it's not really realistic.
[/quote]

I knew someone would take the bait! I really need to educate you Americans on satire and humor! sarchasm ;-)

:D

I don't think we would have taken your limey bait if it weren't for the throngs of people who actually think what you wrote!

Does anyone know of a tank that’s tested positive for HSG kill off? I have done some reading on the subject and no one seems to be 100% sure if the HSG is the major cause of a crash. Seem like the low O2 cause most tanks to crash. After O2 kill off then HSG is release and people assume that’s HSG is the cause? ???

[quote author=nash link=topic=1784.msg17509#msg17509 date=1174023135]Seem like the low O2 cause most tanks to crash. After O2 kill off then HSG is release and people assume that’s HSG is the cause? ???
[/quote]

That's what I figure.

How do you get an O2 depletion running a skimmer? Seems like they replenish enough O2?? Maybe in a smaller tank, there could be some chemical reaction consuming all the O2, but in a good sized tank I'd find that hard to believe....

Most o2 problems with DSB happen with power outages. The sand uses up the o2 fast. Once my tank with a DSB was without power for 6 hours and I lost all the fish. A different tank, no DSB lasted 14 hours with no loss.

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=1784.msg17500#msg17500 date=1174010723]
How about a rock section behind the prop racks :D

Like a little patch reef :D
[/quote]

exactomundo! this exactly how it should be. i too am tired of display tanks. i want a little display in my 55g, in the back section, but not touching any walls, just a little pillar. the rest of the tank should be acrylic egg crate, looks nice and modern, to cram as many frags as possible to grow and drool over.

:D

Ok, you know how like people do bonsai? Grow all their plants outside but periodically bring in a different one to be on display for a few days?

Would be cool to have a big nice looking prop tank with all kinds of cool specimens growing out.

The tank could have a small display area... possibly a small frameless tank that overflows into the main tank. That could be the display tank.

The small showcase tank could have 3 super nice pieces of LR, and you could swap a different mother colony into that tank each month :D

good grief, bonsai...of course.

im putting together a elos system 70 (55g semi cube) next month. been needing some new ideas....

bringing 20lbs of rock with me from my 25 cube...what to do...thinking one pillar mounted on a 1/2" acrylic rod/w base and an acrylic custom frag rack from TAP plastic, nothing fancy.

[quote author=flyingphish link=topic=1784.msg18426#msg18426 date=1175878666]
[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=1784.msg17500#msg17500 date=1174010723]
How about a rock section behind the prop racks :D

Like a little patch reef :D
[/quote]

exactomundo! this exactly how it should be. i too am tired of display tanks. i want a little display in my 55g, in the back section, but not touching any walls, just a little pillar. the rest of the tank should be acrylic egg crate, looks nice and modern, to cram as many frags as possible to grow and drool over.
[/quote]
That's how my tank is setup.I cram as many as I can get and still add more.Alway something new to look at. ;)

[quote author=flyingphish link=topic=1784.msg18455#msg18455 date=1175895558]thinking one pillar mounted on a 1/2" acrylic rod/w base and an acrylic custom frag rack from TAP plastic, nothing fancy.[/quote]
Heh, you talk like Bookfish :D

Back