High Tide Aquatics

DurTBear's 58 gallon Oceanic

Good chance I'll be getting a new reef ready Oceanic Ultimate 58 gallon tank for a decent price. Stay tuned...

Anyone have experience with these tanks? Good? Bad?

EDIT: Might as well make this the new tank thread since I got the tank and will be setting it up with some careful planning! Mods, anyway to move this to the Tank Journal forum? Thanks!

I have a Oceanic Tech 150 and service a few "Reef Ready" tanks that I like very much. the 58 footprint is great and you can do a lot with the rockscaping with the extra height. Check out Rich's tank (thales) evrything is lifted off the bottom of the tank for the fish and low light corals, while the high light corals can enjoy basking in the reef crest goodness :)

58 is a good size Durwin. I had a 58 Oceanic when I lived in a loft in the city. The biggest challenge I have heard with 58 Oceanics is the location of the overflow. It isn't a very deep tank (front to back) and most of the newer oceanic 58's that I have seen have the overflow close to the middle. This can provide a bit of a challenge in aquascapint (good thing we will have an expert at the next meeting). The older versions had a corner overflow, which IMHO made life much easier and actially opened the tank up more.

The size is nice and it is just at that level where (especially if you live in a smaller place, or a place with stairs) water changes, dosing, etc are still relatively small and easy. I wasn't able to have an RODI unit in my old place because of space limitations and had to lug jugs of water up what equated to about 5 flights of stairs on a biweekly basis. If I was doing anywhere near the water changes I am doing now it might have grated on me.

Sorry I haven't had a chance to respond to everyone's posts since I had a wedding to go to and had to help out a lot. Anyway, I ended up getting the 58 gallon Oceanic Ultimate which looks amazing to me. Got a great deal on it from a guy who bought it brand new but never had the time to set it up.

Bryan, I agree that having the overflow in the middle of the tank isn't optimal and might interfere with the aquascaping but I figured it was something I could live with. I'll just be happy I won't have to deal with a HOB overflow anymore though! But my initial ideas are to have two taller rock formations on the left and right of the tank with a valley/low rock formation in the middle.

Guess I'll be able to start a new tank journal soon! Yay!

Will do. The next thing for me to figure out is whether or not to get a stand and canopy custom made. I know it will cost a pretty penny but I don't have the time nor skill to build one myself right now. You got yours done at Max's, right? Then I can plan on designing a sump.

Yep. chris, the guy who builds the stands for Max, did a really nice job on my stand and hood. My best suggestion to you is plan it out very well and try (if possible) to think about things you may want to do later. The worst thing you want to do is have to rig someting afterwards to work with what you really want.

Any suggestions on certain things to think about? So far, the things that have crossed my mind with the canopy is to include ventilation fans, room for one or two lumenarc reflectors and at least 2 T5 bulbs for actinic supplementation. With an 18" depth, I should be able to fit the lumenarc mini reflectors that are 14.5"x14.5" and 2 T5 bulbs. The only other thing I've thought of is the size of the stand (mainly the height) so that it can accomodate a good sized sump and it's tall enough to fit a nice skimmer underneath. Guess I'd have to think about how to fit places in the stand to mount the controller and multiple DC8's, ATO, dosing pumps and possibly that BRS dual reactor among other things.

I think you might be surprised how difficult it will be to cram that into a canopy. You need to pick up some DBTC corals anyway. If you want to take a better look at how mine is spaced out you are more then welcome. I know I came across some surprises as to spacing when I was laying mine out and I have 24" of depth.

Sounds good Bryan. I'll definitely take you up on your offer to take a closer look at your stand and canopy. I know it's not going to be easy planning all this stuff out but I suppose that's half the fun, right? Not to mention it's more rewarding when everything comes together the way it should (if that's even possible in this hobby)!

Why don't you use your current tank as a sump? it's good volume. The stand you might need a deep one if you want to fit all sorts of equipment and reactors, as far as height 30" inside is nice to work with and a side door where you can slide the sump with ease.

Back