High Tide Aquatics

Faux built in tank started!

Thales

Past President
Hey guys,

The tank is coming down for a new floor in the room, so I am upgrading stuff.

I started prototyping on my Faux built in project this weekend. I have removed the canopy and am going to put a facade on the stand. The new 'faux' canopy and the stand will be painted to match the room.

I think the pictures will make more sense than writing. :D

old_canopy.jpg

newtop.jpg

That is the goal. What's in the pic is just the prototype, but it will prolly be wood, textured and painted to look like the wall. I am a little leery of using sheet rock around water.

Yeah you are right. Sheet rock around the water would be kinda hard now that I think about it. Looks like a nice project. Are you going to vent it to the outside or are your fans going to blow into the room? Also is the access going to be from the back or from both sides?

Mark

Yep access behind the tank. When the tank was set up, it went in front of an existing door of a bathroom, so I put a new door in a different wall.

Messy bookshelf! YEP! That's gonna get cleaned up and painted to also look like it is built in. :D

Get it done then take close ups. I dont want to wait week after week "Here's a piece of plywood I cut... " :) Just like the Large Tank section over at RC I love the setup pics but I hate when they post a few pictures, then you forget about it, 8 months later see it's done! Just take pictures, save them on a hard drive then unveil the transformation in one swoop!

Or do what you want, I'm just bored today :)

Empty tank:

IMG_4734.jpg

Detritus on bottom;

IMG_4739.jpg

Drained tank with initial framing uninstalled:
IMG_4741.jpg

Framed, rocked, crown moulded and cute girl.
IMG_4779.jpg

The rest of the framing will wait till the tank is back in place in about two weeks.

:D

The starboard arrived and I glued sand to it today. Two pieces, one for between the overflows and one for the front of the tank. I thought I was going to have to cut the bigger one in half to get it into the tank, but it dryfitted just fine.

I didn't scuff the starboard with sandpaper before gluing, I just used a lot of glue and it seems to be working fine. Tomorrow, I'll look for any areas that need to be filled in, then I will soak for a day or two to leach out the ickies.

The tank goes back up next weekend - waiting for the new hardwood floor to cure for 7 freaking days! I have to finish framing the thing in and them plumb it and get it filled by Sunday. Oy - if anyone wants to help, lemmie know! :D

Back