Our mission

FOURTH!! Catastrophe in 5 months!

Dyngoe

Supporting Member
Hey All,

I just need to vent because I'm getting near the end of my will. Yes will, not patience; I'm starting to lose my will to go on with this. Quick synopsis of my last 5 months:
1. End of September: Moved my tank only to kill almost all of my fish in holding, probably due to a released toxin from the corals in the holding tank.
2. Beginning of October: Wife calls me in Dallas to tell me my tank is empty. I stay up until 5AM on the phone with my wonderful mom walking her through making saltwater from Safeway bottles. Lost many of my corals in that event.
3. November: Introduced a PB Tang with Ich. Tried to save what was left of my fish from September but lost a few immediately and THEN had a power outage which cost the lives of almost all of the rest.
Finally, LAST NIGHT I had moved all of my "new" fish back into the main tank and everything was looking good for the first time in four months.

4. TODAY
Woke up to a blown circuit breaker and a dark fish room. Why? Because for some unknown (at the time) reason my sump was almost dry and I guess something in there caused a short that blew the circuit. NOW, for most this would be enough for a bad day BUT....here's the kicker:
I recently updated my plumbing and I guess I broke a seal on one of my pipes last night that went unnoticed. So, I had a semi-slow leak all night. Not so bad, right? Well.....I had mixed up some hyper salinity water as my top-off to bring my salinity back up (we're talking 18 Gal of >1.050). It was running at 1.019/020 and I wanted to bring it back to 024 in nine days. Well, with the leak and lost water it went up to 025/026 in the period of ~4 hours (Actually just did the math based off my dial timers and it was ~2.25 hrs). AND, there was no circulation and no heat. Result...a bunch of pissed off corals (possibly dying) and all but four fish died.

Now, I want to throw one final thing in the mix....my car is at the shop. So, when my wife left the house today I am now stuck at home with no ability to go buy water, filter pads or anything. Luckily I have a good friend coming down to help save the day. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Maybe these events are a sign, maybe not, but it's becoming harder and harder to see innocent animals die because of me. I had a great 2+ year run where nothing died and I was actually able to rescue some animals from other people. But, these last few months have really taken a toll on me.

Thanks for listening.

Matt, keep the faith. I think the local plumbing gods must be pissed off as we had a plumbing experience yesterday as well. I got a call from my wife midday saying we had no hot water. When I got home last night I checked the heater under the house thinking the pilot light was out. To my dismay I saw seepage around the base of the heater and heard a "pffffffft" sound. Turns out that a tank seam or internal fitting in the heater sprung a very tiny leak, and the escaping mist extinguished the pilot. A pain, but not so bad so far, right? Well, the full story is that we did an addition about 5 years ago and put in the new heater. Unfortunately the heater is off a breezeway under the second story, but the heater is wider than the breezeway. Right now the carpenters are tearing up the floor in my wife's closet to remove the joists and ducting so the heater (75 gallon) can be hoisted out of it's place and a new one can be lowered back in. I can still remember the contractor saying a few years ago, "if we ever have to replace the heater this will be a pain, but these things are made so well that probably won't be an issue ...".

At least we know a great contractor and the cold showers will go on for only a day or two. Likewise, it sucks to lose so much in the tank, but on the bright side it gives you a chance to try something else you've been pondering. And we know you ponder a lot!

Sorry to hear about the misfortune but hang in there ... you have too much fun with this!

Dang! I can't imagine going through all that... I would probably feel the same way. Don't give up entirely though... If there is a way for you to step back from it for a short period time... have someone else maintain your tank... let someone babysit your remaining livestock... etc.... could help you get the itch and motivation back in a month or two.

It isn't easy for me to leave, but if you need water, I have about 15 gal of RODI at home that I can drive your way as a last option (assuming your friend option doesn't pull through).

I'm sure it is frustrating as hell, but we learn from these hard times.

Hang in there, Matt. Sometime, it does feels like the world is collapsing on ya but you know how that saying goes..."if it won't kill ya, it will make ya stronger"...

I hear yah, stuff always goes bad. I had some coral fall on each other and my C02 went wacky yesterday. I just turned it off and went to work. I will deal with it when I get home...good luck man.

that sucks man, well this place is as good as any for the needy, everyone here really helped me a couple of weeks ago with my issues.

DANG Dyngoe you have had some rotten luck. Where do you live?
I would be happy to look at your system with my 30 years of being in the hobby and my general contractor knowledge. I could give you some moral support and possibly :) spot any would be catastrophe in the making.
I won't stray to far from Marin or SF though.

ya i had a gas line on my heater fell off. it was sprayin gas in the house. fortunately i couldnt sleep last nite and smelled it. the whole garage was bad. God's wrath on the bay area...keep ur head up...things will get better

If anyone wants to know why so many people love BAR, just read the posts above. Forget the ability to trade, buy or acquire corals. BAR members are terrific people. I can't say loudly and strongly enough how much I appreciate all of the offers both here in the forum and from those that called. I am in debt to you all.

**Morning Update**
OK, since there was a leak and since it was going to take a while to make 90G of saltwater my friend and I spent yesterday rebuilding the plumbing and installing some float valve "insurance" measures. The tank was fully up and running again at 3AM this morning. Here's the outcome as of today:
Corals Lost:
Colony of Steve Elias
ORA BottleBrush

Corals Not looking Good:
Sunset Monti
Rainbow Monti
Superman Monti

Fish Lost: (Apologies to those you gave the fish to me)
Flame Angel (Sorry Beau)
6 Chromis
Vlamingi Tang (Sorry Joyce)
Yellow Choris Wrasse
2 Anthias (Sorry Beau)
Royal Grama(Sorry Mike)
Fire Shrimp
Fire Dartfish

Fish Unaccounted For:
Coral Banded Shrimp

Now, I have to believe that the almighty does not completely hate me because he saved some of my favorites:
Algae Blenny (My Favorite!!!)
Barred Dartfish (Thank you Joyce, I love these guys!!!)
Engineer Goby (3rd fish I ever got)
Clown Fish (The last of five I once had)
Sixline Wrasse (I guess he's the last wrasse I'm getting, eh Bryan?)
Psychedelic Goby - Dad's Favorite
Blue Tang (Thanks Beau, he's healthy but PISSED)
2 chromis

So, while it was scary to have another event like this in my life, it looks like there may be a silver lining in what was saved and the lack of coral death. I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Thanks again with all my heart for the generous offers and well wishes. You are all great people and I'm lucky to be associated with a group like this.

I'm glad it was not more. :) I really hope your tank settles down into blissful boredom. :D Don't need anymore hair raising events for a while (or ever), I'd say. :)

Back