Jestersix

Frag workshop frag photos

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
I didn't have a camera at the workshop so I couldn't take any pictures of the event, but since there was some questions about the status of some of peoples frags from the last workshop I think now would be a great time to remind people (who want to of course) to start a photo diary of your frags, so you have pics now, and then in a month or two take other pics so we can have a comparison. If anyone is worried about places to put them www.imageshack.us is a nice place and they will stay for a fairly long time, depending upon how often its downloaded.

Took me a little over an hour to mount all my frags, and I must say that glue is fairly effective, so much infact that that I glued my finger to my pants when mounting a frag, then I glued a piece of plastic to the bottom of my shoe because there was a drop of glue on it.

One final bit, there was a light bluish almost transparent creature inside one of the "sticks", it swam like a shrimp does when it's trying to get away in a hurry, I didn't notice it until it got into the tank, I tried to catch it but failed, any idea what it may have been?

Ok onto the pictures, I don't really care about the names, I'll ask again should they survive and grow out :) Not all the polyps are out, my halides were about to go out, and I thought I'd take some pictures quickly rather than wait until tomorrow.

Here's the first one I put in, a fairly large sized frag, it has a pinkish hue to it
pic15sz.jpg

Here's one of the few oversaturated pictures I took (unsure how to get around this), this is really high in the tank, and has some really neat fluorescent green polyps (even though the picture doesn't show it).
pic20br.jpg

Oversaturated again, has blue tips, was curled to one side so I figured I'd mount it into the side of the rock.
pic33ia.jpg

Welcome to oversaturation central! Brownish/beige, greenish ting about it polyps are just popping out.
pic47tr.jpg

This is the piece with the mysterious blue shrimp (although only about twice the size of a good copepod "pill bug looking ones"), it swam off as soon as it touched the water.
pic54ad.jpg

I grabbed 3 of these pieces I guess, none of the polyps are out, so I'll just show the one.
pic67bi.jpg

Now here you can see polyps! Of course this is close to the front glass, and macro lens works wonders
pic73bx.jpg

Ummm yeah insert comment here
pic86rp.jpg

Gorgonian! Polyps are all popped out, this was the first thing I stuck in the tank though, so I expected this
pic94nw.jpg

Those are nice frags Mike. I was sick and didn't want to risk getting anyone else sick so I couldn't come, but the frags look good so far.

Come talk to me within the month if you see anything you like, chances are I won't be able to keep them alive, and would rather them go to a tank that can have them grow out.

What are the green things you glued them to? They look like plastic wall anchors. Is this correct? And if so can you please explain why you chose that particular product?

Yup those would be plastic drywall anchors. The reason I chose that is because I can get 200 of them for a little under $2, as opposed to the plastic screws you typically see which are more expensive. Much like plastic screws though they fit nicely into little holes here and there, bonus though is that if for whatever reason the frag gets knocked over there's a bright green thing sticking up I can usually spot fairly easily :)

They also sell them in various sizes (and colors) so depending upon the size of the holes in your rock and your frag sizes you can get bigger/smaller ones. But it was a cheap alterative to anchoring frags :) They're 100% plastic (make sure you don't get the ones with the metal fins that fold out!) so there should be no issues with them in my tank.

well too bad I already monted my stuff, but I have a ton of those all different sizes, I am definately going to try that next time. I assume it only really works well with hard corals?

Well if you can get the coral to stick to it it'll work, but I have yet to find a soft coral that I could successfully glue to anything as they tend to slime up too easily.

The camera I'm using is a Fuji FinePix S3000. I think the problem is the thing is just picking a darker part of the frags to have as it's normalizing point, as of course the tips are over saturated galore. That and there's no manual shutter speed setting so unless I point it at a bright source first then drag over to the frag (which would be more of a guessing game since I need to have the same focal point as well). So I deal with what I have. I can probably photoshop some of it away, but I'm not about to do that for these pictures :)

NICE!

Amazing how quickly I got polyp extension!

Oh, don't forget that you can upload your images to this site and we won't delete them at all. :D If you want to start your own threads in this forum charting the progress of your frags, I think that would rock.
:mrgreen:

wish we could have made it to the workshop this past weekend, but it was just not in the cards for us :(

Really nice frags everyone...

Mike,

I have some corals that should be easier for you to keep alive (lower light requirements, lower calcium needs, more resilient, etc), if you wanted to trade any for the frags you got from the workshop,j ust let us know... we would be happy to trade. :)

Back