got ethical husbandry?

Gablami's Reefer 525 Build

Lol, my wife just said make sure the tank is setup before the baby.

Congrats guys and good luck. Lots of baby reefers.

Yeah, I'm surprised you got it so soon to "birth-day". I made sure I had enough time to get tank up and running and fairly stable.

I've been lucky this time around. First baby was difficult and we were running around stressed out the first month. This one is a cake walk compared to the first. Feed her, she sleeps for 2.5-3 hours, repeat. Keeping fingers crossed it doesn't change much. Sounds like your having a good first experience!

Yeah so far he cries only when there's a reason. Feeding has picked up the past couple days, now every 2-3 hrs. Even though it's our first, my wife has lots of experience. My mother-in-law runs a daycare.

Yeah, while he is breastfeeding and sleeping I have some time to work. :)

The black elbow fitting is the white one spray painted black with a matte finish.

Gate valve because sometimes the drain system is a bit finicky and the stock draining gate valve is not great. At the moment have not needed it, but it was a just-in-case thing for fine tuning.

When is yours arriving?

I placed the order on Sat (BRS group buy), BRS called me today and said it is out of stock and I'll get the first one in the new batch. So may be in two weeks.

Me!?! My baby diaper changing days are long gone and won't be again for a while (I hope not too soon!)
My daughter is a sophomore in high school n my son is in 5th grade.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You gotta put the positive spin on it, If the first thing you do every morning is dealing with shit, literally human shit, your day can only get better ;p

Until you remember you have to deal with human shit at least 10 times more during the rest of the day. ;)
At some point you go back to work though. So you may do the morning one then it's, "Love you Honey, see you at 6:00 tonight".

I've actually changed many more diapers than my wife. There have been days I've been driving home for work and she texts me to ask how far I am from the house to gauge if she could leave the kid in a poopy diaper until I get home to change it.

Since we converted the build thread into poopie story thread....After a few years, diaper change doesn't bother me anymore, but I'm scared of kid getting sick more than anything. Those projectile vomits...I'm well prepared with all weather floor mat, seat back cover, leather scotch guarded. But still, cleaning up after those incident would haunt my nose for days.

Since we converted the build thread into poopie story thread....After a few years, diaper change doesn't bother me anymore, but I'm scared of kid getting sick more than anything. Those projectile vomits...I'm well prepared with all weather floor mat, seat back cover, leather scotch guarded. But still, cleaning up after those incident would haunt my nose for days.
Spoken like a true parent.

Sounds like we have a lot to look forward to! ;)

If anyone wants a little hands on experience, I've got two little "angels" lol that I rent out by the hour. Could be by the day, but most people return them early.
haha :p

I'm curious of the actual benefit of this though, I mean they did mention a few times they have 50 or so employees all walking around so they might make significantly more CO2. Also found it odd that they say you could run an airline outside, but any more than a few feet of hose might cause your skimmer to not bubble right, but I would think having all those little microchambers caused by the pellets would easily be equivalent to many feet of hose.

Eh, easiest way to check is to toss a pH meter on your tank (if you don't have one with a controller).

I'm curious of the actual benefit of this though, I mean they did mention a few times they have 50 or so employees all walking around so they might make significantly more CO2. Also found it odd that they say you could run an airline outside, but any more than a few feet of hose might cause your skimmer to not bubble right, but I would think having all those little microchambers caused by the pellets would easily be equivalent to many feet of hose.

Eh, easiest way to check is to toss a pH meter on your tank (if you don't have one with a controller).

The back part of the video, they has it hooked up to a solenoid controlled by Apex. If PH is low, route air through the scrubber, if not, bypass and grab normal air. This is kinda interesting to me as my house is quiet tightly sealed so we have automatic vent that come on every once in awhile to bring in fresh air. So it'll be interesting to see what effect on the tank.

I'm a bit skeptical about how doubling the two-part amounts mean that growth is doubled. I'm a newbie, but could this be confounded by the pH changes?

Rooster, we have that vent too, but it's because new homes are sealed so tightly that items like range hoods and bathroom fans can create negative pressure and once a threshold is reached the vent equalizes the pressure. I don't think it'll do much for reducing your ambient CO2 :).

The back part of the video, they has it hooked up to a solenoid controlled by Apex. If PH is low, route air through the scrubber, if not, bypass and grab normal air. This is kinda interesting to me as my house is quiet tightly sealed so we have automatic vent that come on every once in awhile to bring in fresh air. So it'll be interesting to see what effect on the tank.
Yeah I saw that, but that was simply to extend the life of the material I'm sure there are diminishing returns. But still, maybe they meant a piece of 1/4" tubing out the house? Could do 3/4" and they reduce it down at the skimmer.

That said, you can get the stuff much cheaper elsewhere, diving companies use a similar product for their rebreathing apparatuses, medical companies use it for... some reason :D

Well, I decided to try it. And no surprise, it works!

IMG_0745.JPG

image1.PNG

Prior to scrubber: Min 7.83 Max 8.04 Ave 7.95

After scrubber: Min 8.08 Max 8.21 Ave 8.15

I also bought a 3 way solenoid on ebay, but unlike Ryan from BRS, my tank pH doesn't go above 8.3 and i don't think I'll be shutting it off. Time will tell how long the media lasts.

Back