High Tide Aquatics

Gablami's Reefer 525 Build

Had a bunch of people over for thanksgiving. About 20 people in the great room starting around 5pm. As they left my apex gave me a warning that my pH was under 7.8. Was freaked out for a moment, but then thought that all the people might have driven the ambient CO2 up. Opened the windows and pH immediately started coming back up. Whew! Just thought it was interesting.

IMG_0597.PNG

Last edited:
I have lot to update on my build, but will start with two questions:

What is this? It's a tiny little guy (for reference, that is the back end of a BIC ballpoint pen along side it), center is fixed and the little arms flow with the current. There are probably a couple dozen on my glass every morning that clean off easily, but if I look carefully they are building up along the back wall. Not harming anything, but just wondering if anyone knows what it is.
DSC01718.jpg

Next up, can someone ID what type of algae this is? It looks like a little cup, and there is some sand in this one. I've been picking them off here and there, not much at this point but just want to stay on top of things.

DSC01719.jpg

DAY 63

Well, we had a healthy baby last week (11/27), and it's been a busy week. Starting to settle into a groove, and I love being off work for a few weeks. Gives me time to work on the build :), thanks to my loving and understanding wife.

I guess first up, I upgraded my ATO from the 4g stock that came with the Reefer 525XL to a 10g ATO from BRS. It was a cinch to setup the Tunze Osmolator. I wanted to wait for the upcoming Neptune ATO, but got tired of refilling that ATO every few days. Also, the Osmolator is time tested and reefer approved. Very happy with it thus far.

DSC01676.jpg

By replacing the ATO, I was able to open up some room by removing the stock ATO. In its place, I cut a 1/4 in acrylic shelf. I put my DOS there now, but I could also put it in the side cabinet above the Neptune DDR. Any thoughts?

DSC01566.jpg

I had also been meaning for awhile to redo my manifold. It's very simple. If I want to plumb anything in in the future, I have the option to easily do so. Ordered all the parts from BRS and it was a breeze. Debated a check valve, but instead drilled a hole in my Y return nozzle to break the siphon.

DSC01697.jpg

And here it is installed.

DSC01701.jpg

I also got around to installing my Vortech battery backup. Didn't want it on the side of the tank and wanted to conserve precious space within the cabinet. Luckily it fits behind the tank, but I had to build a crude little stand for it because the plugs come in from the bottom.

DSC01712.jpg

Speaking of behind the tank, purchased a couple slim gallon containers from BRS to dose 2 part with my DOS. In case anyone is worried, those jugs come all the way out, so I won't be refilling around that power outlet.

DSC01716.jpg

Otherwise, everything is going great. Got a nice haul from Neptune Aquatics yesterday. Thank you, as always, to Robert for his generous advice and expert opinion. He has steered me away from products and ideas numerous times, when it would have been easier and more profitable just to sell it to me. I appreciate that greatly.

DSC01702.jpg

Will update again soon. Thanks! And please, if you missed my post just prior to this, can you ID the two items in that post?

Last edited:
I have lot to update on my build, but will start with two questions:

What is this? It's a tiny little guy (for reference, that is the back end of a BIC ballpoint pen along side it), center is fixed and the little arms flow with the current. There are probably a couple dozen on my glass every morning that clean off easily, but if I look carefully they are building up along the back wall. Not harming anything, but just wondering if anyone knows what it is.
View attachment 5989

Next up, can someone ID what type of algae this is? It looks like a little cup, and there is some sand in this one. I've been picking them off here and there, not much at this point but just want to stay on top of things.

View attachment 5990
The first pic looks like a hydroid but not the ones that are pest and irritate coral

Calde, I think you're right. Found some other theads that showed pics and said they're harmless and usually go away on their own. I've been dosing an additive called Sponge Power which might be helping them grow. Will stop for now.

Calde, I think you're right. Found some other theads that showed pics and said they're harmless and usually go away on their own. I've been dosing an additive called Sponge Power which might be helping them grow. Will stop for now.
Yeah I get them also come and go. Really fascinating the random organisms in a tank.

Man you are moving fast and furious.
Grats on the baby! First few weeks are kinda nice, they sleep a lot which give us time to do stuff :D. I remember playing a lot of Diablo 3
Did you find the black version of the elbow fitting at HD as well? And why the gate valve on the main line? Interesting use for the a little space behind the tank.

Yeah, while he is breastfeeding and sleeping I have some time to work. :)

The black elbow fitting is the white one spray painted black with a matte finish.

Gate valve because sometimes the drain system is a bit finicky and the stock draining gate valve is not great. At the moment have not needed it, but it was a just-in-case thing for fine tuning.

When is yours arriving?

Yeah, while he is breastfeeding and sleeping I have some time to work. :)

The black elbow fitting is the white one spray painted black with a matte finish.

Gate valve because sometimes the drain system is a bit finicky and the stock draining gate valve is not great. At the moment have not needed it, but it was a just-in-case thing for fine tuning.

When is yours arriving?

Congrats! Sounds like we're on the same track. New tank, new baby. Mine came 11/26.

Yeah, exciting! For our version of nesting, beyond working on the new tank we've been converting the guestroom into an "Under the Sea" themed nursery. It's a lot of work, but I've really been enjoying it. I'll post some pictures when it's a little farther along. :) ><> ><>

Back