got ethical husbandry?

Gimmito's 450 gal L-shaped tank

Got a few tangs in there Jim! :D

How's that copper band holding up? Eating good? Picking at any corals? I'm tempted to try and find one to keep my aiptasia in check.

Got a few tangs in there Jim! :D

How's that copper band holding up? Eating good? Picking at any corals? I'm tempted to try and find one to keep my aiptasia in check.

Mike,

I got him from Bill (Cookie jar) when he was breaking down his tank. He eats frozen food only, but between feeding him twice a day and aptasia in the tank he has left corals alone. I would ask Carson at AC to get one for you...he has a good eye in picking healthy specimens.

I say there my good reefing man...that's a fine looking box-o-water!
Can we get a fish list?

Thanks E...off the top of my head:

5 yellow tangs
3 purple tangs
1 Desjardins tang
1 hippo tang
2 melanarus wrasse
1 radiant wrasse
1 exquisite wrasse
1 mystery wrasse
1 orange back wrasse
1 Christmas wrasse
1 cleaner wrasse
1 seale cardinal
1 extreme blacker ice clown
2 naked clowns
1 potters angel
1 flame angel
2 lawnmower blennie
1 neon dottyback
1 yellow assessor
1 blue throught trigger
1 long nose hawkfish
1 copperband
1 bimaculatus anthias

Last edited:
Mike,

I got him from Bill (Cookie jar) when he was breaking down his tank. He eats frozen food only, but between feeding him twice a day and aptasia in the tank he has left corals alone. I would ask Carson at AC to get one for you...he has a good eye in picking healthy specimens.
Yeah that's what my research has brought me, is that eating mysis is the best most people get. Unfortunately a vast majority of my feeding is via an autofeeder, so I'm not sure if I could keep him fed well enough since I rarely feed frozen foods.

That said I still have a lot of fish I want to get, I'm just going slow and want to add a bunch of smaller fish all at once because I'm fearful my big guys in the tank might bully them all around.

Yeah that's what my research has brought me, is that eating mysis is the best most people get. Unfortunately a vast majority of my feeding is via an autofeeder, so I'min the fuge to controlnot sure if I could keep him fed well enough since I rarely feed frozen foods.

That said I still have a lot of fish I want to get, I'm just going slow and want to add a bunch of smaller fish all at once because I'm fearful my big guys in the tank might bully them all around.

I would stay away from a copperband if you don't feed frozen foods. Unfortunately, You are limited with what type of fish you can keep to control aptasia. Theres always nudibranchs and peppermint shrimp. I keep a pair of peppermint shrimp in my fuge to control them....plus the fish get as snack when they release their eggs. :)

I also subscribe to introducing multiple fish at one time to lessen chasing, nipping, etc. Erin gave me that advice way back in the day and has always worked for me. Then again with 30+ fish it's easy to get lost in a 450!

Yeah I'm thinking peppermint might be worth a try, they're relatively cheap (compared to the nudibranch) and could hold up to higher flows I'm guessing, plus if they can't find aiptasia (30 square feet of tank is a lot of ground to cover when you're smaller than a dime!) the shrimp can still survive.

Well I currently have 5 fish in my 375g tank, so my fish density is quite low, even compared to my previous 180 where I had at most 6 fish in it :D Reminds me of a really old California Lottery commercial where the guy had a yellow tang in what basically was a fish bowl, "won the lottery" then had a huge tank, with that single fish still in it :D

Back