Cali Kid Corals

GPS

Does anyone here use GPS? I need to get one for myself. I used a TomTom 1 before and that thing sucked big time. Is the Garmin better? If so what model should I get? TIA.

Phong, I have a cheap one. Forgot what branch and model? Work well for me when we goto LA and Reno. You're welcome to borrow it and try it.

I use several of the Garmin models and really like the Nume(?) model. I'll get model number while at work :)

Tom Tom sucks IMO/IME

Elite said:
Can't do that when you are on the road :D... My new job required me to drive around all the time.
Iphone? You can map all of the lfs, take pics, and post, too. LOL.

If you got an Iphone, then it's a done deal. If no Iphone, I'm happy with my Magellan Maestro. although it did get 3 ugly spots on the display. Check out the refurb route, you can save 50% off retail price. I saw a lot of good ones for $150 & less, about 1/2 price as new ones and that was several months ago.

I really like the TomTom actually. I've owned four different GPS and none of them are perfect. I currently use a TomTom720 which has been pretty good. It locks very fast and directions are reasonable. (Not always the best, but not bad. It always gets me were I need to go.) The UI is ok, but not the best. One irritating example is having to press five times to cancel a route from the main screen. (Sigh. Who designs it that way?)

The Garmin Nuvi line is pretty good, but I found it slower to GPS lock. UI was decent, but I found the GPS sensitivity worse than the TomTom.

The Magellans were the worst, IME. Bad at locking, bad directions, slow. I had one unit break on me. (touchscreen stopped responding) The other one I picked up as a refurb for $90 and I really regret not just getting another TomTom. It always gives me horrible directions.

Check out Costco. Prices seemed really cheap
I have Garmin 330. Older style below Nuvis. Is Pretty good most of the time. Let me know if you want to borrow it.

I've used the Garmen Stree Pilot 510? for many years (have two) and the Numi 7xx? for the last year. I use them all over the country and have used others all over the country. Garmin is hands down the best for nation wide maps. TomTom sucks in certain major city centers, especially the east coast. Megellan is well, crap :lol:

Haha. We agree on Magellan.

Never used TomTom on the east coast... here on the west coast (LA, SF, SJ) it has been pretty good for me.

Thanks guys for the info. The damn TomTom I had can't lock in the signal 75% of the time. Same location and it won't see the sat most of the time :( .. But it was an older model. I guess the newer ones work better.

I have a Garmin, it works well 98% of the time, got me totally lost once in Hawaii, but that was it.

The crappy part is, you have to pay (a lot) to update the maps.

damn $150?? The new one is like $250 right?? resell the old one on CL??

I just need a good one for here. I don't think there are that many new road around here..

I have one with updated maps and one that is 2 years old. Locally 2 years old is fine, but, elsewhere it can really hurt... like driving for 4 extra hours in Texas, or 6 extra in Jersey.

I have always used a Tom Tom and I loved it. I am from Michigan and it worked well there. It also was a blessing getting us to California. At first, I did not want to spend the money on a GPS system (my husband talked me into it), but now that we have it, there is no way I would go without.

The only other GPS system I can compare to are the systems in Hertz Rent-A-Car. Those GPS's are bad!

Back