Reef nutrition

Hello all....

I am new to this forum and I would like to introduce myself. I have been familiar to this site for quit a long time but just never got around to registering. I am looking forward to broadening my horizons in the art of reefing. I currently have a 100g system, nothing fancy. I have a 30g sump with a (hang on) 10g CPR refugium with tons of cheto macroalgae that Jeremy donated a few years back which i have recently seeded with copepods. I am currently running on the low spectrum of skimming, just a Euro Reef RS-80 but I am purchasing an additional one in the near future. I am hurting when it comes to lights on the other hand, I am running an Current USA Orbit Extreme (which i don't think they sell anymore) that i bought 4 or 5 years ago,but its keeping me a float... I am in desperate need for a lighting solution! I have very few corals at this time, just a couple of LPS: mushrooms and leathers just because my lighting cant keep anything else alive. I have three Pyramid Butterflys, Maroon Clown, three Green Chromis, Flame Hawkfish, Steenes Dottyback, Lemonpeel Angelfish, and a juvenile Niger Trigger that someone put I'm my tank when i was on vacation. I have 150lbs of live rockwork and a very thin sand bed maybe less then an inch. I am ready to take the next step into SPS! all the help will be appreciated. Thanks. Robert

Most of the SPS guys use MH or T5 but you should still be able to keep some SPS that doesn't need a lot of light. When was the last time that you replace the bulbs? What is your buget for the new light? What are your tank dimensions? What are your water parameters? Keeping SPS is much harder than mushroom or softy. If your water isn't right, it doesn't really matter what kind of light you have.

We have a lot of SPS experts in this club. I'm sure they can help you out.

I have no indication of Nitrates and Nitrites, using the test kits that i have, my phosphate are also very low, i dont have specifics. Last time i check my specific gravity was around 1.022. My ph levels where around 8.2. I have had verious SPS in the past but failed because of temperature fluctuations around where i live. I have not tested my calcium in quit a while, so I am not sure if that is up to standards for most SPS. I am shopping around for lights but my budget if very low, my tank demensions are 48" x 24" x 20". The light perameters that im looking for are 400w 20k Metal Halides because of the depth of my tank. I have not replaced the bulbs in about a year because I have not really wanted to dump any more money into them, the bulbs are around 80-90 dollars a piece when I last checked, I would rather but that money towards better lights.

The salinity is low. It should be around 1.025 or 1.026. Read this article, it will help you a bit.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

You don't need 400W MH. 250W will be good enough for your tank. You need 2 bulbs for your tank. A good setup for your tank would be around $400-$600. If you buy used, it would help a lot.

Where do you get your PC bulbs? $80-$90 each is extreme expensive for PC bulb. They usually cost around $15-$40.

He may mean $80 total. 250 watt MH would be more than enough, if your tank is like mine, 20" tall. Personally, if I set up my 100 ga, I was probably going to go with 175s

Hey Robert, good to see you here. I heard your tank move was on the day of the swap (too many little birdies huh? :) ) I hope it went well.
If you want I have a dual 150/175w E-ballast and one nice reflector I can let go for cheap all you'd need are two bulbs and a second reflector. If you are interested in upgrading to halide for cheap, shoot me a PM if you're interested.

yah its about $80 to $90 dollars total. What brand would you recomend if i went with Metal Halides? I was always under the impression that 250watts would not provide the depth i would need to really stock the tank.

I would love too, in fact if you ever have the time it would be awsome if you could stop by and check out my tank, I could use all the help i can get. It need lots of work and i could use some direction.

Back