Reef nutrition

Help man the BAR booth at BA-CFM

cwolfus

Past President
The 2008 BA-CFM (Bay Area - Coral Farmers Market) is coming to the Hilton in Fremont/Newark on Sunday May 11. http://www.ba-cfm.com/

BAR will be hosting a booth at the BA-CFM and we'll need 2-3 volunteers for each slot below...

09:30am - 11:00am (setup) - Dyngoe
11:00am - 01:00pm - Gomer
01:00pm - 03:00pm - Patchin, TimTen
03:00pm - 04:30pm (cleanup)

Post here what times you're available to help.

C

I'd love to help. I can definately help with the clean up shift but may be able to get there early enough to help with one or more if the earlier shifts too. I'll double check and let you know.

THis being my first CFM, what is the good time slot for me to help while giving me optimal viewing time through the CFM?

I'll be there all day and can help, set/cleanup if you need it.

Tony the good stuff you have to bum rush to see in the beginning, then the good deals are at the end.

well, given my budget, I am more in it for the deals lol. I'll get back to you but I should be fine to help with either of the first 2 shifts.

I'll be there all day. Since everyone else is looking for the hot deal, I'll cover the early setup shift and then whatever else is needed.

BTW, what is the focus of our booth? Are we looking to drive up membership? Is there a discussion thread for this?

[quote author=Dyngoe link=topic=3438.msg39344#msg39344 date=1207020535]

BTW, what is the focus of our booth? Are we looking to drive up membership? Is there a discussion thread for this?
[/quote]

There is no other thread, yet. But...

The focus of our booth will be on our mission - to promote, foster and encourage education and appreciation for the ethical husbandry and propagation of marine life.

It should be fun to explain how captive prop corals are better and how, with programs like DBTC, we are making our mission a reality that benefits our community and tanks while having less impact on the oceans. As for looking to drive membership... it's not our focus, though if people decide that ethical husbandry, education, captive prop, hanging with cool people, having fun, and getting free frags from our president while making a difference sound good to them, there is no reason to turn them away! ;)

[quote author=Dyngoe link=topic=3438.msg39344#msg39344 date=1207020535]BTW, what is the focus of our booth? Are we looking to drive up membership?[/quote]

[quote author=cwolfus link=topic=3438.msg39357#msg39357 date=1207022871]The focus of our booth will be on our mission - to promote, foster and encourage education and appreciation for the ethical husbandry and propagation of marine life.

It should be fun to explain how captive prop corals are better and how, with programs like DBTC, we are making our mission a reality that benefits our community and tanks while having less impact on the oceans.[/quote]

[quote author=cwolfus link=topic=3438.msg39357#msg39357 date=1207022871]As for looking to drive membership... it's not our focus, though if people decide that ethical husbandry, education, captive prop, hanging with cool people, having fun, and getting free frags from our president while making a difference sound good to them, there is no reason to turn them away! ;)[/quote]

We can hang out at the booth, answer questions, talk about our particular focus on captive propagation, let people know about our forums and the supportive members that help each other be successful reef keepers and propagators.

We have no need to drive membership, and that may even be among the last things we should be doing. Even though we live in a "more is better" kind of society, we shouldn't grow the club for the sake of growing. Especially not by advertising free corals for new members :D That tends to attract people for the wrong reasons and creates a lot more problems and work for the club.

We can let people know about our mission, our propagation focus, ethical collection and husbandry, our various projects and activities. We can encourage people to sign up on our forums to share and contribute to our information resources. If they are interested in becoming actual club members after checking things out, that is fine. If they're not into those things, and aren't interested in becoming members, that is good too :D

We can let prospective members self select on the basis of their interest in our club values.

Well I'm kinda glad my name didn't make it on the list because I just realized that's mother's day so I'm fairly certain I'll have something going on but I'll still try and make it if possible.

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=3438.msg39364#msg39364 date=1207027804]

Especially not by advertising free corals for new members :D
[/quote]

Yes, it's the danger in discussing DBTC.... sounds a lot like the line for free corals, when it is really much more commitment that just buying what you want.

That said, I'd like to see 4 more volunteers. This is a great opportunity to hang out with long time members of the club at a great local event. Don't be shy!

What say you?

Levi: Come on do like me, celebrate mother's day either on Saturday or the weekafter, less crowds, less headaches for all involved, it'll be a great time! :D

[quote author=cwolfus link=topic=3438.msg39434#msg39434 date=1207091932]
[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=3438.msg39364#msg39364 date=1207027804]

Especially not by advertising free corals for new members :D
[/quote]

Yes, it's the danger in discussing DBTC.... sounds a lot like the line for free corals, when it is really much more commitment that just buying what you want.

[/quote]

I think the word has been spread and there seems to be a bit of the "Greed" factor lately...like a newb with 20 total post...18 of them in dbtc..and the other 2 in buy/sell...

a program like ours can be easily exploited...people participate before fuly understanding what the program is about...

i post on here because of the QUALITY of people here....not the QUANTITY....if i wanted that i would go to the "other" forum..

i understand we have to pay bills...running this forum cost money ofcourse..but i feel we shouldnt have to have to convince people to join...if they read our mission statement and feel they would like to be part of that, its their first sign of good intentions...on the other hand, if they hear about DBTC and they're all about sticking their hand out for the next frag, im affraid we wont see too many 2nd or 3rd gens coming back around for people who would be ready and able to commit to the program...

[quote author=FinalPhaze987 link=topic=3438.msg39816#msg39816 date=1207456424]i understand we have to pay bills...running this forum cost money ofcourse..but i feel we shouldnt have to have to convince people to join...if they read our mission statement and feel they would like to be part of that, its their first sign of good intentions...on the other hand, if they hear about DBTC and they're all about sticking their hand out for the next frag, im affraid we wont see too many 2nd or 3rd gens coming back around for people who would be ready and able to commit to the program...
[/quote]

Lots of good thoughts there.

I'm a totally cynical kind of guy, but I totally get off when people surprise me with the positive things they do.

Maybe my cynicism is a way to protect myself from disappointment. Been that way since I was a little kid.

What I really like about our group is that when people are given a chance, for the most part they prove me wrong, over and over :D

I'm seeing that DBTC participants end up "self regulating" after a while. People pick up on what we want the program to be.

I'm cool with giving people the benefit of the doubt. Though we don't have to post a big huge "Free Coral" sign on our forum :D

And, DBTC is pretty open. The people making offers can limit them however they like:
Must have at least 20 posts not in the DBTC on the BAR forum
Must be a member for 2 months

or whatever. :D

[quote author=Thales link=topic=3438.msg39852#msg39852 date=1207499871]
And, DBTC is pretty open. The people making offers can limit them however they like:
Must have at least 20 posts not in the DBTC on the BAR forum
Must be a member for 2 months

or whatever. :D
[/quote]

I like those suggestions, Rich.

I do think it is a good idea to have members post a tank thread before they can engage in DBTC, it's the best way for the giver to make good decisions. I don't just mean here's my bio-cube I git it last week, I mean a tank thread with info on hobby approach/method, and day to day routine, especially if said people want to engage in X-TREME.

The BACFM is a good venue to promote our mission statement, that's what the CFM is about, captive propagation. It's also good so I can see what people are buying, and get first in line for a frag

A tank thread would be nice...at least givers can see where the frag is going to...The said suggestions are great ideas..i got a few more pieces ive been meaning to post...at least now i have a couple new ideas for rules..

i try to see the good in people, but it would be nice if people read what the program was all about before posting a request for one...it made me realize what a huge responsibility it was to take on a coral and ensuring it thrives..

Back