Reef nutrition

Help with what I think is cyano

+1 to vhuang's suggestion. Something about your tank's set up is fueling the cyanobacteria.

+1 to rygh's suggestion for treating it.

My tank has been running for about year and a half. The low flow areas will get a tiny bit of cyano after I feed very heavily. I know it's in my tank but it only shows up after I miss water changes and feed heavily. I've never had an actual outbreak of cyanobacteria. There are 5 small fish in my tank. I don't have anthias or fish that require extra than normal feeding.

GFO will help with reducing Phosphates but needs to be replaced like every 2-4 weeks or so. Leaving it in too long may allow phosphates to leach back out.

What City are you in?

If you're near the san mateo, I'm happy to come by and take a look at your setup.

Neptunes Aquatics and California Reef Co both provide aquarium servicing and consultation. You could have them come by and fix your problem.

Just wanted to update everyone who pitched in some advice. I dosed Chemiclean on thursday and left the cup off the skimmer. I was out of town for the weekend and came back yesterday and I'd say 95% of the cyano was gone. I'm gonna do a water change and manually remove the rest. I'm thinking a big cause is overfeeding. Even with my afs set on the lowest setting at once a day, ive noticed there are quite a few pellets left. My plan is to switch to frozen mysis which I will rinse well before feeding.

Thanks again

I've heard the automatic feeder from Neptune Systems dumps out a lot of food, depending on pellet size and how big the opening is set at.

People have DIY modified it to release smaller amounts.

Great to hear you're seeing some results. Don't ease up on it though. Hit it hard!

I have a cheap eheim auto-feeder and even with the aperture closed to the smallest feed setting it dumped about a week's worth of pellets. I put tape over 80% of the feed opening and now it's about right. This is feeding Omega One marine micro-pellets.

These feeders must be setup this way for flake food, they don't seem to dispense pellets well at all.

I wouldn't sweat rinsing frozen food - 99.9% of the nutrients in terms of nitrate/phosphate are in the food itself or the biological bioproducts of consumption (fish poop).

Back