Reef nutrition

Hi and advice on tank move/setup

This was a 8' long tank that we swapped out back in 2006 which was infested with shrooms.

View attachment 7061

Everything was done in a day and it wasn't too bad with 6 guys. Owner was prepped with two different tanks - one for the rocks and the other for the fish. He eventually scrapped all the rocks due to the extent of the shroom coverage.
Wow!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This thread went dark after the shromaggedon posts lol.

So I'm finally at the point of moving my new Red Sea Reefer 750 tank into the house. The stand is built. I'm setting up the temporary stock tank now and will be moving my current rock/livestock into it this week to move the current tank out of the way.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with this? I have off all day Friday and Saturday morning. Maybe Friday afternoon would be a good time? I'm well aware that Friday after-work traffic on long weekends is not great. I'm flexible for whenever works for people.

I think the tank weighs about 500 lbs. I asked Red Sea and they don't know, so it's an estimate. It's 6x2x2 feet, 3/4" glass. I was thinking to just keep it in the sturdy plywood crate/pallet it ships in while moving it to keep it easy and safe. I was thinking maybe 6 people total. I have 2 flat sturdy furniture dollys to roll most of the way with. Total of 6 steps up the front entryway, about 200 feet of rolling total. I'm in Walnut Creek, which I know is a hike for most of the club.

I can get my 16 year old son and a couple of his strong water polo friends to help with the muscle part, but I'd like to have some more experienced people help too if possible. Plus it would be fun to meet and get to know more BAR members.

Thanks,
John

You can borrow my suction cups if you can pick them up and drop them back to me. I have 4 of them. I'm in San Jose so Walnut Creek is a bit too far for me.

Thanks for the responses. I'm planning the move for today starting at 3:30 pm or so. My son is getting some of this friends for the brawn part. Multiple attempts to get local professionals to help fell through. I'm still hoping at least one member with more experience moving tanks might be able to come to help with the brains parts of the operation :)

Thanks!

I am stuck w daughter until 3 today. Not too excited to try to make it from sf to Walnut Creek at that time on a Friday...let me know if you REALLY need a hand though.

Thanks for considering, sounds like it would be too difficult to get over here. I'll manage :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks, we got the critters transferred, old tank broken down, new tank moved into place. No one got crushed and nothing shattered, so I'm declaring victory. It's a beauty. I'll try to start a new build thread later with pics.

Now to level the tank, install the sump, do the plumbing, hook up equipment, start filling, etc...

I did reinforce in the crawl space, with 2 beams running perpendicular to the joists supported by new concrete footings and posts. It's solid.

I did not reinforce the stand that came with it... I did think about it though. But since I respect the engineers of the world I'm counting on them to design a stand that can handle the weight with a generous safety factor.

Back