Kessil

High Alkalinity

Guys is there a easy and fast way to decrease alkalinity when it is high and all the other parameters are right on target?

Depending on demand and how high it is, that could take days and high alk for days isn't the best, especially with SPS>

GreshamH said:
Depending on demand and how high it is, that could take days and high alk for days isn't the best, especially with SPS>

Yep, and at 18 dKH, it needs to drop before burn sets in. Try a water change with Red Sea Coral Pro, or Oceanic, they both have low alk and a 25% water change should bring you down several degrees.

Can't you just dose calcium to drop your kH? If you dose calcium, the cabonate (kH) should percipitate out with the calcium in the form of calcium carbonate.

iani said:
Can't you just dose calcium to drop your kH? If you dose calcium, the cabonate (kH) should percipitate out with the calcium in the form of calcium carbonate.
I think so.

Well last night around 10:00 PM it was down to 15 dkh and this morning I did another test and it read 13 dkh.

tuberider said:
GreshamH said:

Yep, and at 18 dKH, it needs to drop before burn sets in. Try a water change with Red Sea Coral Pro, or Oceanic, they both have low alk and a 25% water change should bring you down several degrees.

I use reefsalt by seachem and I never had this happened before. I would have to double check on the chemical composition of it.

Orion said:
iani said:
I think so.

Well last night around 10:00 PM it was down to 15 dkh and this morning I did another test and it read 13 dkh.
That does not seem right. Maybe your test kit is bad. BTW, do you dose 2 part or run a calcium reactor.

Have you been testing when you dose? What size is your tank? How much have you been dosing? How much coral do you have and are they mostly LPS, SPS, or softies? I'm just trying to figure out what got your kH so high to begin with.

this is in my old tank a 40 g, I dose 5ml of alk and 54 ml of Calcium 3 times a week.
They are mostly softies (majority zoas) and a few LPS.

I will be bringing a sample of it.

I also have a new 58 g (main) with a 13.25 g (sump) set up and I used the reefsalt by seachem to mix my water and the parameters are perfect on that one.

I think we need to discuss this at the meeting. my understanding is that the two components should be dosed in equal amounts.

patchin said:
I think we need to discuss this at the meeting. my understanding is that the two components should be dosed in equal amounts.

sorry it was a mistype it is 5 ml of each alk and calcium)

patchin said:

It is in theory but I've never been able to dose equal amounts. I have to dose more ALK then CA.

Back