High Tide Aquatics

Hybrid Clams

:lol: too funny and a great way to illustrate the point I was making :D

Steve Tyree owns www.reeffarmers.com and runs the Coral Farmers Market with another guy named Art P. He's been farming corals for years and was successful in the 90's at keeping stonies when the majority of reefers had hard times (not that he didn't have his own hard times). In the 90's he was one of a few importing acros (but not the only one).

He started the "limited addition" super pricey corals.

[quote author=Unarce link=topic=6679.msg86397#msg86397 date=1236214793]
You haven't been able to illustrate any points, Gresh :p
[/quote]

Sure have but your blind to them since I am dissing your god :lol: Did you not read the post above mine who doesn't even know who this "steve" dude is????[quote author=70Cuda link=topic=6679.msg86392#msg86392 date=1236213830]
I think I missed something somewhere who is steve. The owner of the guy selling these clams or the fish store.
[/quote]

There it is again, can you read it now??

Ahhh tyree peices, yes love those stuff. In my opinion, he does a very accurate job of marketing and describing a coral and what it needs and how it will look in your tank. Many people dont know how to describe what they are seeing much less what conditions the animal needs such as placement or lighting intensity.

When I buy a coral with the tyree name on it, im not buying superior color or growth or coral. What is being paid for is what the coral is going to look like in my tank and as it grows out. Im not sure if this demands such a high premium but at least I know what im getting when I pay for it.

I also feel this way about ora coral..

Seriously, how does that prove anything, Gresh? I'm sure there are a ton newbies in the last 5 years that haven't heard of Steve. Does that discredit him from being one of the first to do what we're doing now?

Now I just think you're just funnin' me :p

[quote author=Unarce link=topic=6679.msg86406#msg86406 date=1236215388]
Seriously, how does that prove anything, Gresh? I'm sure there are a ton newbies in the last 5 years that haven't heard of Steve. Does that discredit him from being one of the first to do what we're doing now?

[/quote]

I'm not. Steve has had little to do with much of the industry development yet you think he has. Guess you as a total internet hobbyist would think that but I live in all worlds and grounded in the real world :)

I would say Walt has a much much MUCH larger impact on the industry/hobby then Steve ever could.

[quote author=Thales link=topic=6679.msg86419#msg86419 date=1236215782]
What do want to know Karl? I have two.
[/quote]

Just hoping to see if they're maximas. Been looking to add a few more. What do you think, Rich?

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=6679.msg86420#msg86420 date=1236215813]
[quote author=Unarce link=topic=6679.msg86406#msg86406 date=1236215388]

[/quote]

I'm not. Steve has had little to do with much of the industry development yet you think he has. Guess you as a total internet hobbyist would think that but I live in all worlds and grounded in the real world :)

I would say Walt has a much much MUCH larger impact on the industry/hobby then Steve ever could.
[/quote]

You could be right, there! I could never claim to be more than just a hobbyist :)

Woooooeeeeeee its getting hot in this room ;)

Steve who? Tyree what? I get that from a lot on beginners who come in the store. I just tell them he is guy who has some nice corals that made a name for himself ;D

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=6679.msg86400#msg86400 date=1236215096]
I am dissing your god :lol: [/quote]

I have to take offense to this! Steve's put way too many LPS on his list, which I find ridiculous :D

[quote author=Unarce link=topic=6679.msg86410#msg86410 date=1236215549]
BTW, anyone else get a better look at these hybrids, lately?
[/quote]
I saw two that were at Ocean Treasures, and to be honest, I couldn't tell any difference, but then again I'm not a clam expert by any means. My favorite were maximas though that were super bright yellow! However when viewed from the side they were an ugly brown.

Yeah, It's really weird how clams are different colours from the front and from the top! I think mine looks awesome from the top, though ... who looks at them from the top?! (OK, there are Clam Tanks, I know that!) Ditto with my brown/purple millipora. Looks great from the top! Brown from the side! Is it the glass that does that?

As for Hobby Impact, I think there are a lot of people who have made a lot of contributions. I have no idea if Steve contributed any special techniques or husbandry theories. I mean, OK, he was successful when some others weren't "back in the day" I have no idea if I am using anything that he pioneered. There are quite a few innovations that I think make the hobby feasible...among them; Protein skimmers, CA Reactors, kalkwasser, 2-part solutions (And you can't discount Randy's contribution of presenting a CHEAP 2 part solution...that in itself is a huge deal), MH lights (and the correct spectrum), use of Live Rock as filtration, DSB, SSB, marine foods..etc, etc, etc...

I'm not dissing Steve Tyree, but to me he's like Steve Jobs and Apple. Apple didn't invent MP3 players (I had a Creative Jukebox in 2001 that predated the iPod by years) but they sure new how to market them and price them...and now people think that Apple invented MP3s and MP3 players!!

But ... back to clam talk...

Oh, one of my favorite RC threads was one where someone posted a picture of a PINK coloured clam and some lady posted "oooh! I wish I had a pink clam!" ... :p

V

Back