got ethical husbandry?

I need a new tv.

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
My projection tv is having all sorts of color issues again, that are unfixable via the menu convergence setup. Last time I had this fixed it was a $300 fix... well rather than shelling out another $300 (more now I'd suspect) time for a tv.

So I'm looking for an LCD screen, at a bare minimum 42". What sort of brands are good, which are crap, what sort of attributes should I look for? I don't want high end either (i.e. I'd like a more inexpensive model). I got a trip to CostCo today so going to take a look there. But other than a computer monitor I don't know what' to look for in LCD tvs.

New tv? That's exciting. I think getting a 1080i or p vs a 780 tv is sweet if you can get HD. Stuff is so clear. Not sure on brands. I'd look for some reviews online on the brands. I think the technology is pretty good now so most are pretty safe, whether its a cheap target one or a costco one. Costco has a lot of selection. Some look sleek though and obviously cost more more :p Good luck.

Here's a link about the pixels.
http://reviews.cnet.com/1080i-vs-1080p-hdtv/

We bought a Samsung 46 Ln650, which is a 1080p 46" LCD. Very nice. Not cheap. We paid $1499. The 1080 may be unnecessary. You will only see a little difference. I believe only BluRay is in 1080. We're happy withthe Samsung. I think you can buy a 720p cheap.

Well my direcTv sends at 1080i, I think the question is is whether 1080i is necessary over 1080p... well I don't have blu-ray don't play on getting in the near future, so might not be a necessity.

720p, eh I dunno if that'll be too useful on a smaller tv.. I need my pixels baby! :D

This place has some good prices and you pay no tax. http://www.abesofmaine.com/itemList.do?group1=Televisions&group2=LCD+Televisions
I have three friends that purchased from here. I personally just used the pricing info and went into Best Buy and cut a deal.
They will compete if you talk to a manager.

Also, this is a great wall mount.
http://cgi.ebay.com/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380119962567
I have this one. install was easy and the quality is excellent. The same thing will be $200-$600 retail.

sfsuphysics said:
Well my direcTv sends at 1080i, I think the question is is whether 1080i is necessary over 1080p... well I don't have blu-ray don't play on getting in the near future, so might not be a necessity.

720p, eh I dunno if that'll be too useful on a smaller tv.. I need my pixels baby! :D

All HD tv's are at least 720p and 1080i. Pretty much all newer tv's are 1080p as well. However 1080p is only needed for larger screens at reduced viewing distances. To give you an idea to tell the difference from 1080p to 1080i or 720p for a 50" screen you need to be at a viewing distance 6 feet or less.

Yeah, but if a LCD is physically X by 720 pixels, and you try to cram X by 1080 pixels in there, you'll get some distortion though no, I mean it's not even 1/2 the correct amount such that they could drop successive pixels.

But as I said I know more about the monitor side of LCDs and don't have a grasp of the of the TV side if they work the same.

Either way, a quick look at BestBuy they don't even sell a 720 LCD unless its less than 37"

iani said:
sfsuphysics said:

All HD tv's are at least 720p and 1080i. Pretty much all newer tv's are 1080p as well. However 1080p is only needed for larger screens at reduced viewing distances. To give you an idea to tell the difference from 1080p to 1080i or 720p for a 50" screen you need to be at a viewing distance 6 feet or less.

+1

Mike I have a 42" sharp LCD that i am very happy with. I recently upgraded to HD satellite and it was not worth it. Color is better but increase picture quality is not discernible. On the other hand I have a 60" in the other room that is ~10 ft from viewing and HD is amazing. Your wasting money if you go with high resolution on a midsized tv.

sfsuphysics said:
Yeah, but if a LCD is physically X by 720 pixels, and you try to cram X by 1080 pixels in there, you'll get some distortion though no, I mean it's not even 1/2 the correct amount such that they could drop successive pixels.

But as I said I know more about the monitor side of LCDs and don't have a grasp of the of the TV side if they work the same.

Either way, a quick look at BestBuy they don't even sell a 720 LCD unless its less than 37"

Mike 1080i in reality is only half of 1080, only 540 lines of resolution are actually displayed at any time.

I bought a 46 in sony bravia v series from dell last week...its was ($999)-$350 off and free shipping. Setting it up today actually.

Wow Arnold that's a good price, Sony's typically are the more expensive TVs out there I've seen, and with a $350 off deal that's hard to pass up. Was that a special of the week deal or something?

Boun, well 540 lines are updated at any one time, all 1080 should be on the screen, it's just only half them change at any given second, which with 1/30th of a second is probably a hard thing to catch, although I hear about these 120hz refresh rates, and 240hz refresh rates.. *sigh* too much damn information out there! Used to buy a tv for 2 things, size, and remote control and that's it :D

Charles, well I had my 53" projection widescreen with and without the satellite HD and I definitely can see a difference. The TV will be ~10.5 feet to 13 feet from my eyes, depending if I mount it on against the wall or in the corner of the room. And as mentioned it seems finding 720p is restricted to either smaller tvs (37" and smaller) and plasmas, maybe the LCD manufacturers are sticking with a set resolution standard *shrug*.

Saw a couple Samsungs that looked really nice, and a couple Vizios that didn't look half bad either, although not as clear as the Samsung. They ranged in size from 40" to 47", wrote down the model number and I'll do some more in-depth research later. Also need to swing by WorstBuy and Fry's to see what they have to offer now that Circuit City is no more :D

I have a Sony 40" 1080p bravia, absolutely love it. If your playing video games (PS3, XBOX360) you definitely want 1080p as it's one of the few things that do full 1080p.

here you go Mike, but It maybe expired....

http://dealnews.com/Sony-BRAVIA-46-1080-p-Widescreen-LCD-HDTV-for-1-000-free-shipping/292144.html

JAR said:
Also, this is a great wall mount.
http://cgi.ebay.com/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380119962567
I have this one. install was easy and the quality is excellent. The same thing will be $200-$600 retail.

Didn't even really consider wall mounts yet, in fact not quite sure if I want a wall mount on simply a table setup (hey all the equipment has to go somewhere right?? :D). But that looks like one of those nifty ones that goes in multiple directions. How far does it make the TV stick away from the wall when it's "flat" against the wall? Last thing I want is a nice wall mounted tv with 4 inches of stuff behind it.

Back