got ethical husbandry?

Importance of Water Flow by Jake on April 12

Do you happen to have an abstract or know any more about the talk? Will he be talking about actual market items we can use to achieve various types of "flow" ? Or is this going to be more of a causal scientific talk talking only about the importance of flow?

Jake has created this

www.coralidea.com and www.coralite.net

Jake's Bio - courtesy of Saltwater U Jake Adams
My name is Jake Adams and I have been a professional aquarist for over 10 years. I recently received a B.S. degree in Marine Science from the University of South Carolina. Through my website, articles, podcasts and travels, I have been an active participant of the national reef aquarium community for the last five years.

I am a science-oriented aquarist with interests in many fields of coral research. My research experience has focused on the effects of flow on coral health, the ecology of zooxanthellae in corals and the sexual reproduction and early life history of stony corals. I currently live in the Denver area where I work at an upscale marine aquarium company until my return to grad school to study corals.

And for Mike

Abstract:
Although aquarists may be developing a base understanding on the properties of light, they are still very much in the dark when it comes to understanding water flow. The study of how objects are affected by moving fluid is called fluid dynamics. Fluid dynamics may be used to describe the particles, nutrients and gases which are transported by moving fluids. This presentation will review some of the science on the interaction of water flow and corals.

I will also talk about the small scale principles of fluid dynamics which deal with gas exchange and the dissolution rate of gases. Additionally I will discuss the properties of fluids which govern how moving water behaves at the site of interaction between corals and the surrounding water. By offering aquarists some background understanding of how water moves, I hope to encourage coral aquarists to re-evaluate water movement in their aquaria. By applying the properties of moving fluids, it is possible to provide better and more relevant water flow for corals.

[quote author=corals b 4 bills link=topic=3383.msg38962#msg38962 date=1206658661]
Other then the talk on flow is there anything else going on at the meeting?
[/quote]

The meetings are mostly about the talk, but before and after there's a lot of informal chatting amongst each other, sometimes people use it as a place to trade or give corals and equipment that they owe one another, but other than that nothing much... oh except the mad rush into atlantis aquarium after the meeting ;)

[quote author=jrock link=topic=3383.msg38960#msg38960 date=1206656933]
Will this presentation be recorded? If so, how may I obtain a copy? Thanks.
[/quote]I don't think it will be recorded, but I bet you'll get a summary here while everyone scrambles around trying changing their flow around.

BTW, jrock like the microphone assassin jrock?

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=3383.msg38964#msg38964 date=1206659502]
[/quote]
Haha, no no. It was just a nickname in HS. It's easy to remember.

Tuberider...... I won't go any further with that one. haha ;D

[quote author=jrock link=topic=3383.msg38968#msg38968 date=1206662351]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Your first name starts with a "J", and you were hit in the groin with a rock that you threw which somehow bounced back into you whilst a lot of people (good looking girls) were watching?

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=3383.msg38969#msg38969 date=1206662468]
[quote author=jrock link=topic=3383.msg38968#msg38968 date=1206662351]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Your first name starts with a "J", and you were hit in the groin with a rock that you threw which somehow bounced back into you whilst a lot of people (good looking girls) were watching?
[/quote]
Haha, that's way more interesting. My name sound like Jrock or something but it started as J- rome, J, The Rock, J- rock. I am also know as The Sloth, Junk, Junk Yard and Iron Man. And Jacky.

I don't meen to hyjack this topic so if you like to keep this up please go here:
http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=3427.msg38970#msg38970
On with Jake Adams.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=3383.msg39004#msg39004 date=1206684624]
will do Cwol Fus[/quote]

Is there supposed to be a joke in there somewhere Tony? :)

His talk didn't cover to many market items but more of how it works. That being said he has done some work recently with the sience of making waves with Vortecs so maybe we can get him to talk about that as well.

hey gresh, i'm planning on making the meeting :D. based on what we briefly discussed, i kinda changed my flow patterns around and look forward to jake's presentation.

how'd them frags do i sent you back with?

Back