Jestersix

Is it weird that...

As of today my DT has been cycling for 7 weeks. My ammonia and nitrites have been at zero for a long time. Nitrates are still kind of high (20), and I'm working on getting my phosphates down (0.08 today). I have a QT up and ready to be used. I've been told that now would be a good time to add a small CUC to the DT, and start the quarantine process for my first fish. I plan to implement a nice long (30 day) quarantine for any new fish. So, a fish brought home today could be ready to enter the DT in the next 4-6 weeks, depending on health. Presumably I would have a handle on all chemistries by then. Right?

Here's the problem, (which I'm embarrassed to admit) I'm actually sort of... I mean, I find myself just a little... um, well hell, I'm afraid to bring any livestock home. I'm afraid of killing, or even hurting fish. I'm afraid of not spotting hitchhikers or an illness that will take out my entire tank and force me to start all over again. I'm afraid of bringing home bully fish that will terrorize the rest, or eat the coral. Is it weird that I have spent all this time, energy and money just to be a lagger now?

I think you are being overly cautious. While I agree about ideas behind QT, I never have.

Like Kensington says... Enjoy fish. Get corals if you are worries about killing fish. ;)
They are inanimate (relatively).

It's an aquatic garden. Purchase the items that you think will live in your environment. Some (hopefully all) will live and grow. Get more of the types that live and less of the types that didn't. You won't know until you spend the money...so jump!

Well you did the right thing by posting and considering everyone's opinion. At the least you have a robust list of knowledgeable individuals in this place so share what your plans with us? what do you plan to buy? perhaps someone's else's experience & know-how can benefit the process and keep you more confidant in your choices.

I too can't handle having things die on my watch, though I have had no fish die but even when a specific coral or little hermit crab bites the dust a part of me hurts knowing a little life form has vanished from my tank, but that's all part of it and it happens in nature more often than it will in your tank.

All I know is that I'm going to take my time when I get my (ideal) tank up. Having the 10g, then two 10g, then the 20L has provided me with invaluable experience on dealing with fish, corals, and pests. I'm definitely going to QT my fish and corals before putting them in the DT as it's very discouraging when you're constantly fighting your DT due to issues.

With regards to fish, I guess I'm a little freaked out because a very informative employee at my LFS, who used to have a 300g (mostly fish with some coral) told me that he doesn't think he ever lost a fish to old age. If he can't keep them from dying too soon, what chance do I have. KWIM? It is comforting to think things may die less often in my tank than in nature. I know, I need to stop being such a baby and just get a fish! But maybe I'll wait until after reef-a-palooza. If I get it now, then my dog-sitter will also have to fish-sit. Or maybe that's just another way for me to chicken-out a bit longer. Ugh!

Anyway, below is my proposed fish list. From what I've read, and learned form the forums, these are all hardy tank breeds.
1 Orchid Dottyback (added last)
2 Banggai Cardinalfish (tank raised, 1 male + 1 female)
1 Canary Wrasse
2 Ocellaris Clownfish (Mated Pair / juveniles)
1 Bicolor Blenny

Thanks for listening to me whine you guys. I'm going to do this, but I am starting to think that I should begin with some coral. I just ordered this book, and hope it will help me decide what kind to go with. Or I'm open to suggestions from you all. I originally thought I would mostly go with softies and LPS, since they're easier to care for than SPS. But it seems that most of those are aggressive, or semi-aggressive. For this first tank I want to try and keep it as non-aggressive as possible.

Last edited:
The fish list looks good, but I will let someone else chime in since my experience is only limited to a few types community fish that I've kept.
As far as corals go, you can pretty much get any softy, I recommend any zoa/pali, GSP (green star polyp), clove polyp, xenya, mushrooms, toadstool leather, etc. these are all very easy corals, they don't require feeding and will do good in most moderate tank conditions, they are also not very sensitive to higher nitrates levels (no extremes of course) in fact mine stop growing when nitrates are super low so they actually do better with some nitrates.

You can do some LPS, stick to the popular ones and stay away from anything super rare or exotic, get them as frags one at a time, the good thing about corals is they can easily be saved if you think they're not doing good in your tank for some reason, another member of the club could easily buy it from you or hold it in their tank if you are having a temporary problem with yours. So basically in theory you can avoid killing any corals by utilizing your membership with the club.

The only tough corals are SPS and even then they aren't any more complicated than LPS as long as you have great lighting and you are willing to delve into dosing and such, but that'll come later as your tank matures.

I suggest you read up on dipping methods and meds shall you encounter a problem when you quarantine. If you get your fish from a solid LFS you will most likely go through the quarantine process without using any type of medicine, I personally like freshwater dipping my fish as it doesn't seem to hurt them and will likely kill any pests the fish might come with.

Corals on the other hand MUST be dipped and if you want to quarantine them that's great at least you will then be able to catch things like aiptasia before you put it in your tank, there are several dipping solutions, some of the popular ones are revive, bayer advanced, iodine, coral rx. Some folks like using one product while others will have a dipping system with 2 different types of solution to kill off different pests. There is a lot of info on this in the forums if you search. I can give you a bottle of iodine if you like (not sure where you're located) and bayer advanced is a home pest killer sold in a bottle at home depot (I'm not joking o_O).

Last edited:
You could add all of those fishes at the same time. They are all relatively small and won't get too large for a 65. Food in, water changes for dilution of pollution. It's neither hard nor complicated.

Since RAP is only a couple of weeks away, I'd wait. Get the fish when you get back.

Your QT is 20G, right? Put several pieces of PVC in for hiding places and buy a couple of fish!

Your level of phosphate and nitrate are not a big deal in QT. Just be careful with ammonia. If you have some algae growing in the QT that will give them something to pick at.

There are many theories about QT. All the way from 'Never do it' to treating for any possible problem. There is an extensive thread on Reef Central about QT.

Start with inexpensive, tough fish.

In my opinion the people at aquatic collection are knowledgable and will make sure the fish you are buying are healthily and eating. At least that has been my experience. They also have very good prices. I would talk to them.

The fish list looks good, but I will let someone else chime in since my experience is only limited to a few types community fish that I've kept.
As far as corals go, you can pretty much get any softy, I recommend any zoa/pali, GSP (green star polyp), clove polyp, xenya, mushrooms, toadstool leather, etc. these are all very easy corals, they don't require feeding and will do good in most moderate tank conditions, they are also not very sensitive to higher nitrates levels (no extremes of course) in fact mine stop growing when nitrates are super low so they actually do better with some nitrates.

You can do some LPS, stick to the popular ones and stay away from anything super rare or exotic, get them as frags one at a time, the good thing about corals is they can easily be saved if you think they're not doing good in your tank for some reason, another member of the club could easily buy it from you or hold it in their tank if you are having a temporary problem with yours. So basically in theory you can avoid killing any corals by utilizing your membership with the club.

The only tough corals are SPS and even then they aren't any more complicated than LPS as long as you have great lighting and you are willing to delve into dosing and such, but that'll come later as your tank matures.

I suggest you read up on dipping methods and meds shall you encounter a problem when you quarantine. If you get your fish from a solid LFS you will most likely go through the quarantine process without using any type of medicine, I personally like freshwater dipping my fish as it doesn't seem to hurt them and will likely kill any pests the fish might come with.

Corals on the other hand MUST be dipped and if you want to quarantine them that's great at least you will then be able to catch things like aiptasia before you put it in your tank, there are several dipping solutions, some of the popular ones are revive, bayer advanced, iodine, coral rx. Some folks like using one product while others will have a dipping system with 2 different types of solution to kill off different pests. There is a lot of info on this in the forums if you search. I can give you a bottle of iodine if you like (not sure where you're located) and bayer advanced is a home pest killer sold in a bottle at home depot (I'm not joking o_O).

Wow! Thanks for the advice you guys! I read a thread here about coral dipping which touched on the Bayer thing. I'll have to give it a try. I don't mind the idea of dosing, but don't think my light is good enough for SPS. I like the look of mushrooms, but I read (maybe here) that they tend to take over a tank. I do like GSP and xenya, and I love zoas. I have a place to start!

You could add all of those fishes at the same time. They are all relatively small and won't get too large for a 65. Food in, water changes for dilution of pollution. It's neither hard nor complicated.

Eeek! all at once? Scary!

In my opinion the people at aquatic collection are knowledgable and will make sure the fish you are buying are healthily and eating. At least that has been my experience. They also have very good prices. I would talk to them.

I haven't been yet but will definitely check out Aquatic Collection.

Since RAP is only a couple of weeks away, I'd wait. Get the fish when you get back.

Your QT is 20G, right? Put several pieces of PVC in for hiding places and buy a couple of fish!

Your level of phosphate and nitrate are not a big deal in QT. Just be careful with ammonia. If you have some algae growing in the QT that will give them something to pick at.

There are many theories about QT. All the way from 'Never do it' to treating for any possible problem. There is an extensive thread on Reef Central about QT.

Start with inexpensive, tough fish.

My QT is only 10g and has a big fake rock w/ caves in it, which I hope has enough hiding places. And is showing some weird green fuzzy growth on it, so I will get a couple fish right after RAP.

Okay, I forced muself to take the plunge. I took a mini tour of the closest LFS today. Went to Aquatic Collection in Hayward, Neptune Aquatics in Milpitas and Aquarium Concepts in my little ol' town of Dublin. I bought a frag at each of the first two places. I got them home, and realized something. I think I bought two green star ploys frags. I'm such a dork! I can't really tell because they're all closed up right now. (How long does that last, BTW?) I also bought the rock in the background because of the pretty red coralline ❤, and because it was cheap.

let me know if you need instructions on dipping before those go to DT, wish you had contacted me since I'm in hayward, I could have given you a free bottle of iodine for your dips....

GSP should be open in a day.
But the one on the right looks a little light colored.
If it dies, I have tons more - free. I have to prune it regularly.

Be warned on GSP : It will take over!!
Give it a dedicated rock. One plus though : It really only grows up and sideways, not down.
So if you put it on top of a pillar, you are fine.

Regarding fish:
Most seem like a good choice.
I would skip the Ochid Dottyback. I had one and it was a nasty mean sucker. But they vary.
Most likely would pick on the blenny.
Consider a Royal Gramma Basslet instead.

As far as fish dying:
Some will die quickly. Nothing you can do about that. Too much stress during capture.
Life on the reef is no picnic either. Most fish will live longer in your tank than in the wild.
I have certainly had some live for years, then decline, then die. Seems like old age, but
I really have no way to be sure, and I doubt most fish stores do either, so I am skeptical
when I hear blanket statements like you heard.

Note that you seem to have some brown Palys on that rock.
Keep an eye on them. Some are great, but some can be horrible pests.
Me: I would chip the red coralline off, glue pieces to other rocks, then nuke that rock.
Might seem ruthless, but after all the time spent on fighting Palys, I am jaded.

As far as fish dying:
Some will die quickly. Nothing you can do about that. Too much stress during capture.
Life on the reef is no picnic either. Most fish will live longer in your tank than in the wild.
I have certainly had some live for years, then decline, then die. Seems like old age, but
I really have no way to be sure, and I doubt most fish stores do either, so I am skeptical
when I hear blanket statements like you heard.
Huh, that makes sense. I bet you're right. How could they know if the fish died of old age?

Note that you seem to have some brown Palys on that rock.
Keep an eye on them. Some are great, but some can be horrible pests.
Me: I would chip the red coralline off, glue pieces to other rocks, then nuke that rock.
Might seem ruthless, but after all the time spent on fighting Palys, I am jaded.
Wow, that is some great advice. I love the coralline, but I couldn't care less about the rest of the rock. I will do that now.

Back