Drilling glass is fun!

Attachments

• D0B4BB7F-78B2-47D3-9B0E-71D50CC19C7E.jpeg
    D0B4BB7F-78B2-47D3-9B0E-71D50CC19C7E.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 5AE22ED2-3F0A-4652-B200-6A9D9888004E.jpeg
    5AE22ED2-3F0A-4652-B200-6A9D9888004E.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 90
This tank has reached the end as a reef.
Taking out a lot of rock, all corals except maybe toadstools, and installed an external overflow box from my old frag tank. Now that’s reusing, even better than recycling!
Up next I’ll get the sump setup with a top off and work on a refrigerated autofeeder.
Will be ordering some seahorses from ocean rider soon unless some has a better captive bred option for me.
Saw a really cool seahorse community tank at Disney World where they kept a mix of pretty different species like Hippocampus kuda, some jawfish, razorfish, crinoids, and chocolate chip starfish. Might be something to inspire your plans for this tank.

PXL_20230425_183619415.jpg

Saw a really cool seahorse community tank at Disney World where they kept a mix of pretty different species like Hippocampus kuda, some jawfish, razorfish, crinoids, and chocolate chip starfish. Might be something to inspire your plans for this tank.

View attachment 47133
Thanks! I’d like to get a pair of mandarins maybe, might try a pipe fish or two as well. Starting with the seahorses. Not sure species yet.

Last edited:
We have a seahorse that’s been eating and doing well for like 3-4 weeks now. Got the mini fridge and parts to set up automatic feeding of mysis feast multiple times a day. Just need to drill a couple holes in the fridge and fit it under the stand!
Then more seahorses!
Think I’m going to replace the current top off 10 gal tank with a bucket and squeeze the fridge in front of that hopefully
Still not sure if I go with the seperate pump fessing water through the fridge and injecting food into that stream, or use two dosing pumps where one feeds and the other flushes the line after it feeds each time with rodi

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 64
Today during aquarium time we explored the idea of the automatic fridge feeder a bit more now that the kids could see the actual parts involved and expanded to food webs and ecosystems.
We have been investigating what is involved in culturing phytoplankton and copepods, and will be trying our hands at that soon. Hoping to give all the kids a chance to take home and grow some phyto and if we have success with that some copepods after in order to keep supplying the tank with additional pods and maybe feed live phyto with the mini fridge to the tank to support the pods hopefully living in the tank.
At the end we talked about why the ocean is important to each of us and the kids came up with the following.

Attachments

• FE876E5D-0A0B-4D44-B31F-00B99105C340.jpeg
    FE876E5D-0A0B-4D44-B31F-00B99105C340.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 53
You could also consider phyto + brine shrimp. I had students set up little nannochloropsis and shrimp ecosystems at their homes during distance learning and at least three are still going - since March 2021.
Pods would be awesome and entertaining for kids!

I’m more interested in phyto and pods for now as a hands on teaching experience and positive outcome of feeding seahorses, but with a longer term goal of breeding shrimp like peppermint cleaner and fire. Pods should be ideal for the larvae I believe. Should be a fun process for kids to watch if I can get it to work. We have a pair of cleaners in the seahorse tank now so I may try to catch the larvae sometime once they start carrying eggs if I can get the phyto and copepod cultures going well and make space in my garage for the larvae

Back