Jestersix

LED Q&A thread

I have my setup running on my cube with 24 LEDs running at 500mA and no lenses. I'm even getting somewhat bleaching corals and even white coraline :O , but not bad.
Do you think it is due to the fact I retrofitted the hood and they are too close?

I've gotten a lot of bleaching (and sustained bleaching in some species) with the LEDs. Likewise, I've gotten some browning out in others. I'm starting to wonder if it is an intensity problem or if it is a spectrum problem. I recently de-lensed some of the whites to shift the net spectrum to see how that pans out.

Same thing here..
Weird... Some beaching and some brown...
I was looking at frags of before they were given to me and I look at them now... They look so different. Like Sergio's piece is the best example. It's all brown with like green polyps and they were green with purple polyps before.

I have an undata that grows well, but is white..and has been since I set up the LEDs a few months ago. Same with a Danae. On the other end, I have a blue SPS which has been blue under 4x39 T5, 1x250 MH and 2x55 PC but is now browning. I have an couple LPS which are white at the bottom of the tank (only the ones in the middle of the tank are white, the shaded ends aren't). Norms red prostrata has a really nice red/white contrast, but the red planet looks the same (not a hint of green...white). I Also have some other SPS and LPS which are perfectly colored such as norm's bright green monti, and Rich's Tenuis, and euphylliads.

/boggle.

Same here.

Most unusual is one of my micromussas. Same PAR readings as before previous to the switch over (very low, 80s), but it's going white. Otherwise, the rest seems fine.

Yes...forget all about it. :D

Rest of the corals are doing awesome otherwise, so I'm not at all worried. It'll be interesting to see if the micromussa stays whitish or how long it takes to recover its pigments.

Holy crap, I just checked my mailbox and I found the LEDs there! I bought them yesterday! Wow that's some service, didn't realize they were based out of Oakland

Now I'm pissed I didn't check the mail earlier, as I'm much too tired to play around with them now.

Browning and Bleaching....

Im guessing that bleaching is due to high or strong light? what does the browning usually a result of? Low light?

Depends, there are some corals that brown as a result of too little light, there are some that brown due to too much light.

Bleaching could be any number of factors as well, too strong at a very small bandwidth is a likely culprit however.

*sigh* I'm already hating LEDs, I spent all the time pre-wiring leads on all of them, making extra special care to do red to positive black to negative so I don't screw things up... hell I even tested them with a wall wart through a decade box (to knock the voltage down a ton). Finally decide to try 3 of the XP-G bad boys in series... hook to the meanwell lpc-35-700 driver... and BZZT

WTF, the description says 3 to 12 bulbs

$23 bucks down the drain in an instant.

*sigh*

Honestly I have no idea what happened. It could have been too much power, but according to the specs it shouldn't have been @ 700mA they basically have 3.25V across them, so 3 of them gives me nearly 10 volts, which is well over the 9V minimum it puts out. Only thing I can think of is perhaps one of the LEDs was funky and between them all pulled less than 9V.. *shrug*

Hey Mike,
Meanwells usually have a trimpot inside that you can adjust the voltage.
It could be that it was set from factory to be something higher resulting the minimum 9V to be higher too.
Who knows...

Mike,

i contacted rapidled.com and they gave me a simple diagram since i was unsure on how to wire them. I had a thought that maybe one LED was maybe wired reverse? *shrug* I'm gonna order a kit from them soon, but I hope to figure out what caused the fizzle.

FWIW here is the diagram they emailed me
LEDConnections.jpg

Back