High Tide Aquatics

Moving

mray2660

Supporting Member
Our lease is up on our apt so we most likely will be moving. What are the suggestions on moving our tanks? Try to keep as much of the water is possible?

Mike

For tanks that "small" shouldn't be too much of a trouble, making multiple trips, putting everything into a smaller temporary storage tank while you tear the tank down and put it back up at the new location. It starts to gets really difficult if you're moving a considerable distance away, since ferrying stuff back and forth becomes a logistical nightmare.

Anything in particular you're looking for as far as suggestions?

Mike,

I just moved about 10 miles about two weeks ago with a 28gallon and did exactly what Mike recommends. I had a bunch of styrofoam containers and a large cooler to place the LR in. I did go to an LFS and picked up some fish bags for the fish and inverts and that was helpful. Also, I did not reuse the aragonite sand, I got new sand for the tank. I tried to use as much of the original SW from the tank as possible in the move, but also had some prepared, and ended up using it in addition to the old SW. Hope that helps.

Michael

Make up more new water than you think you will need. I moved my tank(36g) from its previous home into a 13g tank here and used every drop of water I had to get the sump pump running. ( I made some mods on the 36 before filling it with rock and water) I did not have enough buckets to carry the water. New mixed on site will save your back the day you actually move the tanks.

I've done the move on a smaller tank, althought he same applies. extra water, buckets/coolers and eggcrate. I transported all my coral on a temp frag rag installed inside a cooler, and put all my rock into buckets which were fill mostly with water and capped. Buckets and lids are cheap at homedepot if you don't have extra salt empties.

Don't let your corals sting each other!

Plan a whole day for the move. Have around 100G of water for your two tanks. Have a lot of towels and buckets available. Air pump for the fish. Get someone who keep saltwater tank help you out. It's very hard to move the tank by yourself.

Frag and distribute everything a few weeks before the move.

I moved a 55g with very few losses, but having frags elsewhere was reassuring.

Also, if you can overlap the leases by a few days you can deal with the tank separate from the rest of the move, which should help with your sanity.

Want to thank everyone for the advice. Having extra water is key and spare tank to place the frags in helps. The move went okay only lost two corals and one fish but everything else is doing well. As soon as we find the camera charger we will post pictures. Our daughter relandscaped the tanks.

Regards

Mike Ray

We have run into one problem in our 55g. Our green star(s) were doing great but now they look like they are melting away. One of the greenstars was intermixed with Gorgonian which has also melted. All the chemistry parameters look okay. Tank has chiller so the temp is been good no spikes. We are running both carbon and rowphos. All the other corals appear to be doing well.

Any suggestions?

Mike

Green star polyp melting on their own?.....cheer the process on? lol.

(obvious suggestions would be Ca/Alk/Mg/Salinity measurements and check against standards. What did you measure?)

If you can kill the GSP, you are good. I had them out of water and under MH light for an hour during WC and they open right up when I filled up the tank. Give them some flow and I'm sure they will be fine..

yeah dude show me how to kill theses buggers? Also about moving i read someone earlier saying they changed the sand, any specific reasoning?

Bryant

If you keep the old sand you have to rinse it out, because you've disturbed all the junk that was built up in it, since theres no risk to using fresh sand, it's an easy alternative to cleaning it out.

Parameters

Saliniary 1.026
pH 8.1
Ca 420
mg 1350
KH 8
Temp 80
Phosphate 0.25

I wrote this message in AM. After moving Gorgonian out of the tank the night before nextg day it seem to be better. Did not change out the sand during the move so maybe this is just delayed reaction to move everything tank needs to settle in. May explain why the skimmer is working overtime. Lots of brown junk being removed.

Mike

Back