Jestersix

My 90 gallon tank: video update! (with narration this time!)

Ah I always wondered the shoal vs school thing. I hear lots of people use them interchangeably but never understood why. Thank you for clearing that up.

Would you guys recommend to QT the fish I already have? They were never QT'd before, and now that I know I have to do it, should I do it before introducing them to the new tank? And if you guys say yes, how am I supposed to catch these teeny tiny little clown gobies? LoL any suggestions?

The fish you have may harbor some parasite, but have learned to live with it. If you introduce any new fish who are not able to fight of that parasite, you may have casualties. It might be a good idea to atleast "deworm" the fish you already have with prazipro. It's pretty safe and easy on the fish. There's various schools of thought on freshwater dipping, some swear by it and some say it's hard on the fish...up to you.
As far as catching the fish ? Buy a good net you and Denzil or simply ask Erin to come over and catch them for you...he's a Jedi Master at catching fish. ;)

gimmito said:
The fish you have may harbor some parasite, but have learned to live with it. If you introduce any new fish who are not able to fight of that parasite, you may have casualties. It might be a good idea to atleast "deworm" the fish you already have with prazipro. It's pretty safe and easy on the fish. There's various schools of thought on freshwater dipping, some swear by it and some say it's hard on the fish...up to you.
As far as catching the fish ? Buy a good net you and Denzil or simply ask Erin to come over and catch them for you...he's a Jedi Master at catching fish. ;)

LOL!! Haha, thank you! Can I put Prazipro in the tank? Or will it hurt the LR? And, should the skimmer be turned off?

And while I am thinking about it, what's the best way to pry emeralds off of the rock? When I was moving, I could not get them off the rock to save my life. How they all survived the move, I will never know, but both of them did. Every time I tried to grab him, he shrunk closer to the rock and had a death grip on the rock. If I plan on using all new rock, the little buggers are going to have to come out somehow...

goldielocke76 said:
gimmito said:

LOL!! Haha, thank you! Can I put Prazipro in the tank? Or will it hurt the LR? And, should the skimmer be turned off?

And while I am thinking about it, what's the best way to pry emeralds off of the rock? When I was moving, I could not get them off the rock to save my life. How they all survived the move, I will never know, but both of them did. Every time I tried to grab him, he shrunk closer to the rock and had a death grip on the rock. If I plan on using all new rock, the little buggers are going to have to come out somehow...

It might be best to treat the animals while you are transfering tanks and in a bucket. That way you won't have to use as much meds or worry about killing off any beneficial bacteria.

A little trick on catching crabs is to use a glass olive jar. Bait it with food and lay it at an angle where you know the crab resides. He'll be able to get in the jar, but not out. ;)

Thank you so much! I would have never thought of glass jars for the crabs, and it would have never even occurred to me to treat in the bucket while transferring.

Slowly but surely, things are coming together. Hopefully we will be able to knock out the plumbing soon. Then the water test, then the transfer. Almost there! Thinking of getting the QT tank cleaned and set up so I can go down and get the firefish. That way, by the time the new tank is ready, I can add them and start on the next new tank mate on the list. :) This is exciting LoL

Ok, so slight change to the fish list. I did not realize how hard it was to keep Helfrichi and Firefish together until Erin mentioned it, then I googled it. Aside from that, it would be an expensive loss to incur O.O

What do you all think of the Dispar Antias (Pseudanthias dispar)? I thought they were beautiful, and they are reef compatible and peaceful, deemed by liveaquaria.

Well, I do plan on stocking what I would like to get (aside from the mandarins) and not stock any more until I upgrade a few years down the line. The 90 will be a good starter, but once I get into everything, learn everything that I possibly can, and get comfortable with it, hopefully we will be looking for our first house. Denzil and I already have plans for a huge tank. I told him it was a must. :D

Side note: what's a good amount of flow for a 90? Is there any number I should be shooting for to hit?

Don't get caught in the numbers game on flow. Good flow is whatever keeps you from having dead spots. Many end up adding more pumps the more their corals grow. If you can afford it, look into tunze or vortech pumps. If not, go with some koralia. Propeller pumps put out preposterously more water movement than impeller pumps do, and in a wider area.

Not_Now_John said:
Better get on this fast, looks perfect for your 90.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=150821

LoL oh yeah, almost 2 feet long full grown. That's crazy hahaha.

Well, Koralias are probably it until I can afford something better. I was looking at adding two additional 1400's to my two 550's. Hopefully between that and the return, I will have more than enough flow. I am assuming I don't have to worry about the fish and the current?

What's a good way to point these things if I have four of them, and what's a good placement for them?

Depends on if you are using a wave maker of any type. Start with the corners, see where your dead spots are, adjust from there. Took me forever to find the golden spot where my MP40 can be turned up to about 80% (stupid dots) and not move sand into one big pile.

Not_Now_John said:
Depends on if you are using a wave maker of any type. Start with the corners, see where your dead spots are, adjust from there. Took me forever to find the golden spot where my MP40 can be turned up to about 80% (stupid dots) and not move sand into one big pile.

What a dumb question, but, how do you test for these dead spots? Is there something you put in the tank to watch the flow?

Sorry, this question has been plaguing me for months, and I have yet to find an answer. For all I know, I could have dead spots in my current tank, but I am not sure what to watch for, so I hope....LoL

You can usually tell by looking closely at whatever happens to be floating around in the tank. Look at where algae or cyano or diatoms start growing the most, these are often dead spots. Once you have live stock, watch where the food goes once you add it. If you end up dosing tow part calcium, you can see where the cloudiness flows. Also, when the lights go out, photosynthetic organisms start to respire. Look for areas where bubbles are sticking to the rocks or sand, probably means there isn't enough flow there.

You could also stick the end of an air pump into the water and see what happens.

Okie dokie, good to know =)

Can't wait. Step dad is going to be able to get me plumbing parts. Just have to give him a list of what I will need. He told me he'd try to get it if I took good notes when Mike came over so he has an idea of what people are doing/talking about, because so far, he's only done FW tanks. Slowly, but surely, things are going to start coming together. Hopefully before we leave in June = / LoL

goldie,

Several places in this thread you mentioned you wanted to get a Mandarin. As I'm sure you know they can be hard to feed. I just read an article in 'Coral' about breeding them. In the article they stress it's possible to train them to eat prepared foods.

The process for training:
While in QT, get them to feed on enriched LIVE Brine Shrimp. Next introduce frozen BS and Mysis shrimp. After they begin sampling the frozen, gradually withdraw the live diet. Once they vigorously eat the frozen they can go into the display tank.

Of course you want to keep them in QT for the full QT period.

Has anybody here tried this?

Back