Cali Kid Corals

My car burglarized...

So I got into my car at 6:30 this morning and noticed some papers thrown around and all of my little storage areas were open. I was still a little dazed because it was so early, but then it hit me, my car was broken into. I looked at all of the windows, and nothing was broken. I even remember locking the car last night because my dog barks whenever she hears the alarm. Some things were stolen and the costs are under my deductable which means I'm SOL.

The strangest part is that the (factory) alarm did not go off when they broke in. They came via the driver side or passenger side door because there are these 2 inch long scraps directly underneath the door handles.

Grrr!! First the leak, and now the break-in. What's next? Don't answer that :)

Yikes. But at least nothing stolen or broken.

Do you have a button on a keychain that unlocks door and turns off the alarm?
If so, likely explanation is you hit it by accident.
The someone wandering by can simply open the door and check it out.

Mark,

Sunglasses, 5$ in cash, and my new in box satellite radio were stolen :( The radio was in the trunk and there's no way they were targeting it. I put it in there the day before because I was going to get it installed today.

Ouch! Misread your post a bit.
And very odd coincidences. Strange how they got in your trunk as well.
Could be a pro with an alarm code-grabber saw you put it in. Unlikely though.
Or just really bad luck.

If you used a credit card, new item like that is likely covered under theft purchase protection.

A few of my client's cars were broken into last night.

One of them had a similar story to yours - nothing of real value in the car except for the satellite radio. He said they pried the window moulding off to get in

Many years ago I met a guy who was very proud to be a thief. His thing was auto B&E .. His speacialty was stealing alarm systems.

Another reason I hate cranksters.

Sounds like in inside job... ;-)

My wife car had a similar incident, only + the broken window. They stole a laptop bag full of her books, totally her fault for leaving it in plain sight.
I called cops but they were not interested. Make sure you file a complaint and get a police incident number. The more reports in your area - the higher chances they'll dispatch a patrolling cat thru your neighborhood.

@rygh: my GF got it for me as a christmas present from amazon.com Should she call her CC company and ask if they have theft protection?

Thanks for the kind words all. Makes me want to get a BETTER alarm system, but I feel like they'd just find another way to break in so what's the point.

Gonzo said:
@rygh: my GF got it for me as a christmas present from amazon.com Should she call her CC company and ask if they have theft protection?
Can't hurt to try, but likely complicates things a lot.
At the very least, go read the CC agreement online, see what the requirements are.
Usually 90 days. And my guess is that she would have to file a police report also.
But police reports for simple theft are usually online now also, so pretty easy.

A pro can get in, pretty much no matter what you do.
Even the fancy so called anti-code-grabber alarms use a 40 bit key, which with today's compute power is a joke.
Simple alarm to keep the kids out, and otherwise hope for the best.
BTW: You mentioned papers strewn about. If you had bank or other documents in the car,
be careful of identity theft.

A fun page, even if on a silly site.
http://www.carthiefstoppers.com/About-the-Competition.html

Gonzo said:
The VISA company said she wasn't signed up for it. You have to sign up for it - which she did not :(
Dang!
May want to dump that card, and make sure to get one that is "Visa Signature".
Same cost, better benefits.

My car got a similar treatment just before Christmas. They took the GPS (but left the cable and base) and my sunglasses (prescription) and the change from the console. Most annoying because I had just bought the lifetime maps subscription for the GPS. I won't be doing that again....

Sorry, to here that. That makes me so ANGRY |( I had my truck broke in to last Sunday, someone stole $1300 worth of power tools, I cant handle the feeling I get from it. Its honestly the biggest low-life thing someone could do, the worst part about it is they just sell your :X for pennys to get high or ??? No, wait Im sure HIGH! The joys of living in the big CITY :~

I watched someone break into a car about 4 weeks ago in the Mission, busted out the glass and opened the trunk in broad daylight. Right in front of people standing at a bus stop! No one did a thing, my brother and I chased him down in my truck, running red lights driving on the wrong side of the road etc. My brother got out and chased him on foot, so the guy tossed the laptop bag he had taken from the trunk and we kept chasing him but he jumped into a Pickup Truck waiting nearby and took off.(That wasnt set-up)

I wasnt going to risk getting in a car accident at this point, so we just went back to the car and were going to call the Police but noticed
(This is the best part) there was a cop getting his lunch @ the sandwich shop on the same corner the car was broken into. He was in the deli the whole time this was going on! People dont care anymore, they will do anything to steal your :X Im happy I was able to return the persons laptop.

PS: TIP for reducing the chance of vehicle break-in, leave your glove box open and a few things on the seat as if someone has allready broke into your car. My friend uses this because he lives in bad area of the city. He said it helps them kinnda skip right over your car when there casing it.

People will get there's 10x KARMA is a :X and shes pissed :)

I call that costa rica style. When I was there in 2005 rental company reccended leaving glove box and center consol open and empty so they can see nothing is in there worth breaking in for. I sometimes do that here when I'm worried about the area I park in

Sucks about your car, but at least no broken windows. I'll admit, the last 2 times my car was broken into was SF & Oakland, and i don't live in either city. Not saying suburbia is safe, but safer than either city.
Mike- you got full soul brother, and some extra karma points!

They got me while I was at the ballpark last season.
Smashed the back window out(the expensive one with the defroster) for a diaper bag and my work clothes.

Back