Cali Kid Corals

My Semi-annual upgrade

So I was gone on vacation for about two weeks. I just got back today to find my controller on my tank went out. The moisture inside my stand formed condensation in my controller. I think it was partly due to the windows in my apartment being closed, overall it was much more humid in my apartment than normal. My alk was around 6 in the tank and my ph was in the low 7s. Since my controller went out the lights were off, the calcium reactor wasn't getting any co2, and the skimmer pumps off.

It looks like my montis were the hardest hit. Luckily I only lost a few pieces although several other montis look to be in pretty bad shape. I'm just glad that I came home when I did. I think if I were gone another day things would have been really bad. On the plus side, once I let the controller dry out, it started working again. And hopefully I caught it in time and things don't get any worse.

Wow that sucks... there has been so many of these stories on here lately... don't know if i'll be able to take a vacation until I hear an equal number of stories of people who left on vacation and came back to find supprising coral growth and perfect perameters. ;) I hope your tank bounces back quickly!

Haha, I'm sure it will bounce back, thanks. I had a friend check in on the tank on wednesday, so it must of happened after then (although he could of not noticed that the controller wasn't working). I spent my first day back slowly dosing my tank, taking out some dead frags, and making water for some water changes. haha

Man, sorry to hear that! This has definitaly been a couple very bad weeks lately for BAR members. I hope you don't loose to many corals.

Thanks Aldie, it doesn't look too bad though. I think I caught it just in time. There was only a slight dead smell coming from the frag tank. jk

Ian.. dude.. sorry to I missed your call last night. I was out at a family function. I saw your miss call after midnight..

sorry to hear about your tank. I know how you feel. I just got back from 5 days in vegas and when i got home. I had a few casualites, fishes and frags. But no big deal, nothing i couldnt replace.

Let me know if theres anything i could do. anything you want in my tank, its your.. just let me know. Hope your controller is a repairable.

Thanks Ed no big deal. The controller seems fine now that its dried out. I have too many coral as it is. My tank is still too full.

the offer stands anytime.. just let me know..

the weird thing happened when i returned. My sulfur reactor was not running due to excessive gas inside the reactor. So, no water was dripping out of it. I would have expected that my nitrate would spike and corals will be affected. But the nitrate only spike a little, and most of corals looked healthier. Now, i'm thinking of taking my sulfur reactor off line and going back to cheato. but i'm still debating..

Ouch, sucks about the controller, that's what you get for having it all pretty and flush mounted ;) Seriously though, any ideas for how to prevent this from happening in the future? Maybe some fans to pull moisture out under the stand?

If you need any help let me know. I feel fortunate with all of these stories, I left for 4 days to Tahoe and came back to everything working the way it was supposed to.

Mike, I think if I were to have a fan mounted to blow directly onto the controller in the stand it would circulate the air enough that there wouldn't be any condensation on the controller. I hope.

Bryan I think I am covered. Thanks for the offer. I'm just glad nothing too bad happened. Funny thing is I have some of the same montis in both frag tank and display tank. Display tank ones got hit hard, frag tank didn't get hit at all.

If humidity is a huge deal, you might want to consider a dehumidifier. For long trips, you'll need one that can drain to an external source.

Glad it wasn't a tank crash though :)

[quote author=iani link=topic=4283.msg72703#msg72703 date=1231096332]
Mike, I think if I were to have a fan mounted to blow directly onto the controller in the stand it would circulate the air enough that there wouldn't be any condensation on the controller. I hope.
[/quote]
Might want to look into a humidity sensor connected to a slew of fans, although I don't have any idea how humid it can be, I know I had one of those Oregon Scientific sensors in my room upstairs when the tanks were there and that sucker broke it got so humid! :D

I talked to Lap today and he came up with the solution to my problem. LOL. Here it is.

solutiontomyproblem-200901041of1.jpg

Back