got ethical husbandry?

New Member Area/Introduce yourself thread

Hi Patchin, I figured something like that happened. With all that was going on, it's not surprising. Aside from that minor oversight though, the potluck and meeting went really well! Great job new BOD! :D

Hi CrackRaider - Welcome to BAR. You can post your questions in the Reef Talk forum (start a new topic) everyone would be more than willing to help. :)

Hello all, My name is Richard and I have lived in Berkeley a little over two years. Last June I bought a tank set up from a grad student moving. He had fish only, and I had a dream for clown fish that predates Nemo by about twenty years.

I was also blown away by the advancements in reef keeping not having checked in since I was in junior high. My 36g hex has only fueled the fascination. Sure there have been not fun moments in the last couple months, who knew the hobby was such a stress, but I cannot comprehend the 'magic' that happens in the tank when the LPS puff up the day after feeding, or even how they do the whole eating thing. It is wildly educational.

The clown fish dream has completely sidelined for the corals. The Dec BAR meeting was in a great location. Looking forward to many more captivating speakers and connections to other dreamers. Thanks for the posts about my water mixing question.

Richard

Helle to all,

My name is Jed Wilson and I live in the city of Capitola, CA. I have always been intrested in the husbandry of animals. When I was a kid I would raise blue belly lizards, which turned into snakes. (not a bad income for a kid) We made a big move and I stopped for sometime, but still was always stopping at pet stores to just take a look.

I got back into the hobbly of a few years ago and started to raise Uroplatus (leaf tailed) and Crested geckos. I became very succesful with the Uroplatus(4 pairs + 16 hatchling + eggs), but my job forced my wife to do most of the care and they were given to a friend. I down sized the gecko operation to only crested and the fish tank. Cresteds = store credit = more corals. Ok the fish tank....

The tank is a 60g Tru-vu that was filled with rock from a previous tank that the owner could no longer keep. I then have traded off the old tank, pump, etc. to members here or on reef Central for the live stock. I have only been doing it for about 6+ months now, but I am hooked. Salt water is just so neat. Always something new to look at or purchase :p

Look forward to meeting everyone.

Welcome Jed! I love Capitola, you live in a beautiful town, I've surfed there when it was lining up all the way through the pier from Sharks, great waves when it's huge!!!!

Surf can get pretty good. I myself do not surf, but most friends do. Bomboar is directly out from our house. We are right between the Capitola Wharf and the Cementship.

Hi,
My name is Brandon. I was in NCNRS when they first started. I have the same name in that club as well. I got into the hobby about 8 years ago. I went from freshwater community tank, to freshwater planted, then eventually to reef tanks. I've been into saltwater for about 2 years. I still consider myself a super beginner, although I think I am getting the hang of some stuff. I enjoy mostly LPS, but I'm starting to get into SPS a little bit.

I'm currently a student at UC Santa Cruz, and I plan to graduate this June. It'll be a terrible time to graduate, but I'm kind of excited about that. I look forward to meeting you guys, sounds like an awesome club. Oh yeah I have a 40 breeder.

[quote author=Jombo link=topic=431.msg72827#msg72827 date=1231140495]
Hi,
My name is Brandon. I was in NCNRS when they first started. I have the same name in that club as well. I got into the hobby about 8 years ago. I went from freshwater community tank, to freshwater planted, then eventually to reef tanks. I've been into saltwater for about 2 years. I still consider myself a super beginner, although I think I am getting the hang of some stuff. I enjoy mostly LPS, but I'm starting to get into SPS a little bit.

I'm currently a student at UC Santa Cruz, and I plan to graduate this June. It'll be a terrible time to graduate, but I'm kind of excited about that. I look forward to meeting you guys, sounds like an awesome club. Oh yeah I have a 40 breeder.
[/quote]

You finnaly joined.................Hand clap Hand Clap

Hi all, My name is Chris and I have lived in San Ramon my entire life. I work in technology (networking) down in the south bay. I have been into salt water tanks now for 7 years. I started out with a custom in wall 200g acrylic tank that was stocked with some softies and aggressive fish. After a few years my fish started to outgrow the tank so I then bought my 600g FOWLR tank. Unfortunately due to my travel schedule for work it took almost two years to get the tank up and running and get my fish moved over to it. Once they were in the 600g tank I planned on converting my original 200g tank over to a SPS reef tank.

Again due to my travel schedule the 200g tank was left running with no fish or corals in it for another year and a half. I started working on trying to get it cleaned and stocked and then noticed the top seam of the tank had split over 2/3 of the length of the tank. Luckily it did not fail and spill water everywhere. I took the tank back to the manufacture and the replaced the top but it had split down the back about 2 inches so they had to put a patch on the tank. I did not feel comfortable setting the tank back up in my house so I bought a new tank (which was larger, 220g) to replace it and used the old one in my filter shed as a fuge for the 600g tank. I had some time and got the new tank setup and running fine. Just when I was getting ready to start stocking it I started traveling for work again. So it sat for almost another year running with nothing in it. Finally about 6 months ago I had some time and cleaned it up and put ~50 SPS frags in it. So far things are doing well.

My 600g tank has now been running for ~4 1/2 years now and has been stocked for about the last 3 years. I have a mix of triggers, tangs, a puffer, an angel, some clown fish and some other random fish in the tank. I am looking at adding a few more fish in the near future but after that plan on leaving it so they have plenty of room to grow as I don't have space currently for a larger tank. On top of the fish I have a very large carpet anemone and some softie corals in the tank. With what other little time I have I am heavily into woodworking and digital photography. I'll post some pictures of my tanks and shop in a few weeks when I can get some updated pictures.

Hi Chris (Chicken),

Welcome to the club! I am also an East Bay-er in San Ramon. :D

We might have enough East Bay people to have a tank tour one day! Gotta clean my tank first... ;D

Yah I need to get mine clean also. The SPS tank stays relatively clean but the 600g FOWLR that's another story. Those guys are pigs and the algae build-up shows it. I just finally got installed a large PO4 reactor so that has helped and I just finished cycling a large DIY Sulfur Denitrator so hopefully will plumb that into the tank in the next day or two. It will be amazing seeing my 600g FOWLR system at 0 No3

Hi, I'm Kevin, I live down in San Jose and have an 80gal reef tank that was setup on March '08, I have it currently stocked with a small zoa colony, a few ricordia, a branching hammer, as well as a few fish. So far had some minor difficulties with a couple of my early LPS additions, lost a torch and a candy cane after a few months. But otherwise trying to take things slowly and letting it all just grow out.

Originally joined the forum back in September, but was waiting for the new year to become an actual member.

Back