High Tide Aquatics

New Member Area/Introduce yourself thread

Hi Kevin, Welcome to BAR. :D

If you put up info on your tank, I'm sure someone would be able to help you with why you are having problems with LPS'. (Unless you put them in before the tank was cycled completely, then that would explain it).

BAR is a great place to get help and encouragement from knowledgable reefers! :D

I'm a teacher at a high school, and we've just started a marine tank. Someone generously donated our first soft corals and introduced me to this forum. I can't wait to see them grow!

I do have a mild algae (possibly cyanobacteria) problem. I understand that's probably due to excessive nitrates or phosphates, and am working on it.

If anyone would like to donate to our school (or others, there are many out there), here are some things we would like:
Taller rock structures (ours are all small)
Corals (for now, hardier ones)
A refugium
Expert help is always appreciated. ;)

Hello every one !
This is Mario (BAR xcaret / RC marioensf)

Although I've been here for a few months, I just sent my dues for the membership so hopefully in a couple of days I'll be an official BAR member.
I have a 46BF with loooots of rock and loooots of anemones (glass/aiptasias if any one wants them they are free just don't count them as DBTC) some mushrooms and frogspawn, nothing fancy.
The second tank is a BC29 recently upgraded the hood to 150W DE/MH in this tank I have two mated clowns and a clown goby, no fancy coral yet, some polyps, anthelia, frogspawn and a couple heads of blue tubs.
Live in San Francisco so space is very limited therefor my 90G is something on hold but still working on it little by little.
At some point we wanted to start two tanks in the basement to propagate corals and help with the cost of running a kilowatt farm, I mean saltwater system.

I was a cable technician but things went bad and was out of work for a couple of months, then I became a carpenter apprentice but then again things went bad and am unemployed yet again. Due to that fact I find time to do small jobs here and there, painting, electrical and some handyman stuff. When I have a full day I go to my brothers basement and spend time putting aquariums together to help support the hobby, build the stands, canopies or just play get electrocuted with MH ballasts.
I'm on RC too but a different user name marioensf, I used a different name here after a bad experience in a reef portal in Mexico where I felt I was spied on all the time by a couple particular people whom happen to be the web site "owners"
Xcaret is a place in the Mayan Peninsula, a beautiful place to visit they say, never been there.

My brother (I got him addicted, my bad) has a 100G system and even he has gone trough several tank crashes and cracks, he's still devoted to his chunk of ocean now with a plexi, no more glass for him.

[quote author=xcaret link=topic=431.msg73823#msg73823 date=1231652223]
Hello every one !
This is Mario (BAR xcaret / RC marioensf)

Although I've been here for a few months, I just sent my dues for the membership so hopefully in a couple of days I'll be an official BAR member.
I have a 46BF with loooots of rock and loooots of anemones (glass/aiptasias if any one wants them they are free just don't count them as DBTC) some mushrooms and frogspawn, nothing fancy.
The second tank is a BC29 recently upgraded the hood to 150W DE/MH in this tank I have two mated clowns and a clown goby, no fancy coral yet, some polyps, anthelia, frogspawn and a couple heads of blue tubs.
Live in San Francisco so space is very limited therefor my 90G is something on hold but still working on it little by little.
At some point we wanted to start two tanks in the basement to propagate corals and help with the cost of running a kilowatt farm, I mean saltwater system.

I was a cable technician but things went bad and was out of work for a couple of months, then I became a carpenter apprentice but then again things went bad and am unemployed yet again. Due to that fact I find time to do small jobs here and there, painting, electrical and some handyman stuff. When I have a full day I go to my brothers basement and spend time putting aquariums together to help support the hobby, build the stands, canopies or just play get electrocuted with MH ballasts.
I'm on RC too but a different user name marioensf, I used a different name here after a bad experience in a reef portal in Mexico where I felt I was spied on all the time by a couple particular people whom happen to be the web site "owners"
Xcaret is a place in the Mayan Peninsula, a beautiful place to visit they say, never been there.

My brother (I got him addicted, my bad) has a 100G system and even he has gone trough several tank crashes and cracks, he's still devoted to his chunk of ocean now with a plexi, no more glass for him.

[/quote]

Hi Mario!

Keep your head up! Reefing may drain the wallet, but it's better then turning to crack or PCP. If you have some specifics you want help with, or just want to build a better home for your charges that's what the club is about, were here to help.

[quote author=jquiring link=topic=431.msg73763#msg73763 date=1231630678]
I'm a teacher at a high school, and we've just started a marine tank. Someone generously donated our first soft corals and introduced me to this forum. I can't wait to see them grow!

I do have a mild algae (possibly cyanobacteria) problem. I understand that's probably due to excessive nitrates or phosphates, and am working on it.

If anyone would like to donate to our school (or others, there are many out there), here are some things we would like:
A refugium
[/quote]

As I previously posted give a location, perhaps I could help, if not I'm sure someone in the club can give you a hand.

[quote author=jquiring link=topic=431.msg73763#msg73763 date=1231630678]

A refugium
[/quote]

Hello jquiring,

I have some beginner coral that will become available in Feb. What school is it, and where is it located?

I am also a former teacher and I know how tight teacher and school budgets can be. :-

For expert advice, there are many in the club willing to share their knowledge. Just post a specific question, and you'll be amazed at all the answers you get to choose from. ;)

My students really enjoyed having a marine aquarium in class. It wasn't anything fancy, but I do believe it had a calming effect on the kids. :D

Good luck with your project. :)

I was introduced to this site by Pixel Pixi.

I started my first salt water tank three years ago, with an octopus, and dreams of upgrading to a larger tank. About two years ago, I set up a 75 gallon. For the last six months I've been having trouble keeping the corals in my tank alive (my first reef tank), and have been discouraged. A lot of the stores I frequented have been closing down, and my inspiration about the tank has been waning with each stores' passing.

Then I met Pixi! Whom introduced me to this community. I'll post pictures of my tank before and after, with info about the water/set-up, but I wanted to introduce myself to everyone first, and thank Pixi for reigniting one of my passions.

Hey you! Nice to see you here!

[quote author=Akyu link=topic=431.msg74177#msg74177 date=1231868939]

I started my first salt water tank three years ago, with an octopus, and dreams of upgrading to a larger tank. About two years ago, I set up a 75 gallon. For the last six months I've been having trouble keeping the corals in my tank alive (my first reef tank), and have been discouraged. A lot of the stores I frequented have been closing down, and my inspiration about the tank has been waning with each stores' passing.

Then I met Pixi! Whom introduced me to this community. I'll post pictures of my tank before and after, with info about the water/set-up, but I wanted to introduce myself to everyone first, and thank Pixi for reigniting one of my passions.

[/quote]

Hey just got my membership to BAR due to a recommendation from a LFS. I've had experience with SW tanks when I was younger and freshwater tanks as well ... but I'm completely new to reefing and fairly new to the Bay Area! My friends got me a 12g nanocube for my bday ... and I believe it's finally cycled. Looking forward to start stocking!

First task: perform water change and find some chaeto from someone around the SF area!

Welcome Tyekidd. :)

That was a nice birthday present your friends gave you. I suggest you read some of the threads posted on 12/14 gallon Nanos. These small tanks can be challenging, especially if this is your first reef aquarium.

It was my 3rd reef aquarium, and it was a huge challenge for me; I almost gave up and turned it into a salt water mixing tank. :-[ After a year, with lots of help from other BAR members, it is finally somewhat successful. I have to keep a close eye on it though because it is such a small tank, the stability swings are much greater than in a larger tank.

Good luck, have fun, and stock very slowly. :)

BTW, if you don't find any Chaeto by the FEB swap, and you will be there, I can bring you some Chaeto. Just let me know. :D

[quote author=Akyu link=topic=431.msg74177#msg74177 date=1231868939]

[/quote]

Welcome!

It was great meeting you last weekend and I'm glad you joined the site. :)

I forget since it has been a while, but look around the site. The fee for a single membership (year long one person) is $20. The family membership (year long for you and friends/family) is $40. It is a small price to pay, because at your first meeting, you'll get triple x3 in FREE coral from nice people with 125-300 gallon monster tanks! It is VERY wise to join...

NC-Boy, go here for all the membership info:
http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?page=7

Euphyllia, while you are correct in that many members give away coral, that is not why most of us are in the club. It is a bonus and should not be the reason for anyone to join.

Back